Release Hurrican

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Hurrican is a freeware jump and shoot game that is based on the Turrican game series.

Here the latest hurrican release, which add libmodplug and pvr texture compression support. Which also have fixed the crashing issues in the other releases. There are also other fixes.

Also thanks to those that voted for hurrican in the compo.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hurrican.pickle

hurrican-pvw.jpg

Just tried it and I don't have the freezes anymore :) great work pickle!

The performance seems to be the same though, with the slowdows while a lot of special effects are shown.

Just tried it and I don't have the freezes anymore :) great work pickle!

The performance seems to be the same though, with the slowdows while a lot of special effects are shown.

I tried out the first level (sorry, had some trouble with slackware and no time to test Hurrican long time).

The slowdowns you mention didn't occure for me.

In the previous version I had those annoing slowdowns sometimes during the first level at 900-1000 MHz. Now I was playing at 600 Mhz and there was no slowdown for me.

It's a little bit laggy from time to time. I'll test it with 800+ MHz today and give report.

Hurrican is really fun. Nice to have it on Pandora.

Thats interesting with the slackware. 800 mhz is the ideal clock for me in superzaxxon.

In the first level near the beginning are some waterfall effects, its there where it really takes a hit on speed. How does the slackware perform there?

Thats interesting with the slackware. 800 mhz is the ideal clock for me in superzaxxon.

In the first level near the beginning are some waterfall effects, its there where it really takes a hit on speed. How does the slackware perform there?

No, no.

I had troubles to install slackware and didn't test Hurrican much.

I'll run it on slackware later today.

I ran Hurrican under Zaxxon with 800 MHz and there was no noticable or disturbing lagging any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, no.

I had troubles to install slackware and didn't test Hurrican much.

I'll run it on slackware later today.

I ran Hurrican under Zaxxon with 800 MHz and there was no noticable or disturbing lagging any more.

whoops, brain not functioning to peak levels yet :p. I think i read 'slackware' 'slowdowns' 'didn't occur'

OK, here for your bain:

Slackware, doesn't start :D .

Here for your brain when it's working:

I tried hurrican under slackware (current version) and it doesn't even start.

Seems to be one of the unsupported PNDs.

I can't report any slowdowns under Zaxxon 800 MHz.

(SImply tested the first level)

I've played it the first time on TV. Looks really good.

Here a more detailed report:

Playing at 750 MHz has some frameskip.

You can play well but it's verry noticable when ou have a lot of enemys on the screen and your bullets are not flying smothly.

850MHz: Perfect.

Completed the 1st Level and played the 2nd Level until I died (inished the boss).

It was a joy to play and everyone here is able to overclock to 850 MHz.

Loads and runs fine but I preferred the graphics in the previous version for some reason. I overwrote the file, where can I find the PND for the previous version???

Really enjoying this game, never liked the fact you couldn't shoot diagonally or upwards in Turrican. Any thoughts about a sequal? :D

Never mind, think I've found it here: http://www.openpandora.org/rebirth/hurrican.pnd

Loads and runs fine but I preferred the graphics in the previous version for some reason. I overwrote the file, where can I find the PND for the previous version???

Really enjoying this game, never liked the fact you couldn't shoot diagonally or upwards in Turrican. Any thoughts about a sequal? :D

Really you can tell the difference with the graphics? They should actually be better in some places since they full resolution. One thing that could make a difference is using 4 bpp rather than 2 bpp. But i just went with 2 bpp since i didnt notice much of a difference and id rather have the memory savings.

I doubt a sequel will have although this is an editor so anyone could create their own levels.

I noticed a difference but I have just flashed to latest beta, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I noticed difference on the bullets and some of the power ups, I'll be comparing the two when I get a chance and might post screenshots.

Ahh yes of course, the level editor, will play with that when (IF) I complete the game! Well done on a great game!

I noticed a difference but I have just flashed to latest beta, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I noticed difference on the bullets and some of the power ups, I'll be comparing the two when I get a chance and might post screenshots.

Just keep in mind pvrtc is a lossly format so their will be differences.

I think I found a bug (or I fail at the game!?) I'm on level 8 and can't progress on the lifts you have to fire at, I use the electirc beam but the lifts don't go up!

I would happily produce a video if I knew how (I'll do a quick search)

Another person who had played the game before has told me they were able to get through the entire game (although using cheats).

As I have not progressed that far I cant say what is correct, but there must be some way to activate the lifts, maybe different weapons?

I watched a video of someone playing he same level and it's the same way they activated the lifts. I've really been enjoying this game and it's made the pandora that much more fun to have. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope someone can shed some light on the issue.

It's rather late now so I'll post my save game file and a quick video demonstrating where I get stuck.

Back