Hu6280 Alpha V0.4 Released

Nice speed improvement.
Many games run between 45 and 65 fps with 266Mhz O.clocking.
The slowest one I've tried are shoot'em up games (Raiden, Side Arms, R-type...) 45 fps.
But some games like Bloody wolf, run at ~60fps/266Mhz
Galaga run at 40fps/200Mhz and 53fps/266Mhz

Let's have some sounds now B)

Thanks Vobbo !

vobbo posted on May 13 2006 at 12:02 PM said:
Hi again all!

A quick release, pretty major speed hits all around in the emu, removed debug code and converted scanline rendering to assembler...

Enjoy Galaga @ 55fps!

Vobbo :ph34r:

http://www.vobbo.gptheatre.co.uk/

How much will having sound slow it down? Sound is kind of important in my opinion. I don't play games with no sound so I am interested to know how much it will effect speed. If it can get to GP32 levels which was FS1 with sound on at 133 mhz that will be great. Do you think that is possible eventually on the GP2X?

Thanks for the good progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on May 13 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
Hi again all!

A quick release, pretty major speed hits all around in the emu, removed debug code and converted scanline rendering to assembler...

Enjoy Galaga @ 55fps!

How much will having sound slow it down? Sound is kind of important in my opinion. I don't play games with no sound so I am interested to know how much it will effect speed. If it can get to GP32 levels which was FS1 with sound on at 133 mhz that will be great. Do you think that is possible eventually on the GP2X?

This emu will be ZERO FRAMESKIP - 60FPS - FULL SOUND .... frameskip is for girls

vobbo posted on May 13 2006 at 05:53 PM said:
This emu will be ZERO FRAMESKIP - 60FPS - FULL SOUND .... frameskip is for girls

Really? That sounds too good to be true. If it does get that good would you take donations through Paypal? :)

DaveC posted on May 13 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
Hi again all!

Enjoy Galaga @ 55fps!

Wouldn't linux make it impossible at 133mhz to get that performance.

vobbo posted on May 13 2006 at 06:53 PM said:

At what clockspeed?

Well, initially I`m just aiming to get it fullspeed @ 266mhz - Then I`ll continue optimizing if I can be arsed!

I have a number of other little projects I`m working on, So I`m not sure if I`ll continue optimizing it to run fullspeed @ 200mhz right away... maybe... dunno!

Donations might spur me on ;)

I`ve just ported it to gp32 aswell, all using the same code with a few wrappers tidying things up...

GP32 version is running @ 44fps on my BLU 166mhz....

I`m converting the CPU core to ARM atm, and It looks like I`m going to get the entire emulator sitting in the I-CACHE , so thats going to be a pretty major speed hit right there.... ;)

vobbo posted on May 13 2006 at 07:23 PM said:
Well, initially I`m just aiming to get it fullspeed @ 266mhz - Then I`ll continue optimizing if I can be arsed!

I have a number of other little projects I`m working on, So I`m not sure if I`ll continue optimizing it to run fullspeed @ 200mhz right away... maybe... dunno!

I`ve just ported it to gp32 aswell, all using the same code with a few wrappers tidying things up...

I`m converting the CPU core to ARM atm, and It looks like I`m going to get the entire emulator sitting in the I-CACHE , so thats going to be a pretty major speed hit right there.... ;)

Cool, er...... my donation till I have some money is webspace :p My gp2x can't go to 266 :( 240 it can.

vobbo posted on May 13 2006 at 02:23 PM said:

Wow, thats awsome! I really hope you get a chance to release the gp32 version, it would be amazing to see another great emulator for the gp32_console . Great work, and good luck

vobbo posted on May 13 2006 at 06:23 PM said:

So howcome the GP2X needs 100 MHz more just to get similar performance that the GP32 has? That is strange. 45-60 FPS at 266 on the GP2X vs 44 FPS on the GP32 at 166 with the same code :blink: Is linux that much of a CPU hog?

Too bad you aren't planning to get the GP2X version to work at 200MHz, overclocking sucks, it uses WAY too much battery life :( Plus overclocking is cheating and not all GP2Xs can do 266.

Could you then put an option in for FS1 at 200 MHz? I would rather have it run at 30 FPS but be able to play for more than 10 minutes before the batteries go out.

relax! After I`m done converting this baby to ARM, it should run fullspeed without overclocking....

be patient ;)

vobbo posted on May 14 2006 at 10:28 AM said:
relax! After I`m done converting this baby to ARM, it should run fullspeed without overclocking....

be patient ;)

This sounds too good to be patient ;)

Back