How well is bluetooth audio working?

I've tried to get the .asoundrc modifications working and was wondering if it was compatible with programs other than the standard audio players? I picked up a Nokia BH-905 wireless headset/stereo headphones with the hopes that I could route all sound to them but haven't been able to get SNES9x4P (the only thing I've had time to try so far) to output to them. I'm not sure whether the Pandora even properly detects it as all it displays under the description is "headset", and most of my linux experience is serverside so I'm completely unfamiliar with where to start troubleshooting audio and bluetooth.

attempted this "fix" with unsatisfactory results. I get no audio at all when switching the files... even with a reboot. I put in a request for the bluez-alsa package that I saw in the angstrom repos via the website, but was unable to find/access via opkg on the Pandora itself. Will be googling for other ways to figure this out, as it is the biggest thing I am currently lacking with my unit.

Im not even sure if my modification made any difference. I am pretty sure I have to set the audio output somewhere to bluetooth but I cannot find that anywhere! :(

^Have you tried with Mplayer, Panplayer and Exaile, as as far as I can tell they are the only programs that will route sound to bluetooth devices via this method? All games emus etc and other players ignore the settings, or a muted instead, YMMV.

^Have you tried with Mplayer, Panplayer and Exaile, as as far as I can tell they are the only programs that will route sound to bluetooth devices via this method? All games emus etc and other players ignore the settings, or a muted instead, YMMV.
Something seems wrong with the ALSA setup on the Pandora. If done right, anything that uses OSS should just be going through an emulation api thing that really goes into ALSA, so it gets all the good bits of ALSA such as different output channels, mixing, and software volume control. What actually seems to be happening is that OSS is the base system, and anything that uses ALSA is being put through an emulation layer. The result is that anything that uses OSS locks up the audio so nothing else can use it, and only things that explicitly use ALSA get punted through the different audio channels. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm going to add "Pulse or OSSv4" to the HF6 request list, but that's really more of a system update thing. I tried getting pulseaudio to work on my Pandora, but it failed. Have to debug it some, I think.

Thanks for your insight there. I had seen the Pulseaudio OSS issues mentioned in other BT related threads and I realise its something for the hope filled future. BT seems a little temperamental with pairing aswell, as others have found. My speakers are fine but headphones register as a valid device but wont remain connected when pairing. Its no big thing for now though and something to look forward to on Pandoras winding road ahead.

*puts shovel aside, dries forehead*

I followed the instructions and changed ~/.asoundrc accordingly.

Mplayer and MP3s work via Sony-Ericsson MW-600 headset; but with a catch, see below. It's the Gnome-Mplayer which comes with the community codec pack.

Panplayer only outputs via pandora speakers. So does VLC, changing to ALSA or OSS in audio settings doesn't help. The same goes for SMplayer.

Mplayer:

- After playback of a soundfile, which stops at 3:58 for a 4:00 test file and at 6:18 for 6:20, or hitting stop during playback in BT-mode, the Mplayer crashes and has to be killed. The 2 seconds may be some sort of synching issue?

- When killing Mplayer, there are actually two processes to stop, namely "mplayer" and "gnome-mplayer", which is confusing. Killing needs force sometimes, -9 works.

- Changing volume in software during playback makes the volume indicator in the GUI jump around, between initial level and the one I set. Actual volume is not affected, that may well be normal though.

- When I try playing back a movie I get sound on my headset for a mere split second before the player crashes. There is no video output.

Time for some Noisia, using the audio jack <.<

Last edited by a moderator:
Back