How-To Ssh Resources

Spadoof

Website
Visit site
Dear Readers,

Was just wondering if anyone could point me in the directions of How-To Setup SSH Resources. I have no prior exeperience with this so resources that take that into account would be greatly appriciated. What I want to do is setup a computer I can access via SSH. I know that you have to open port 22 on the router your using and some other things but at the moment I am really confused. I need some documentation that will step me through everything. The computer that I want to SSH into has ubuntu linux. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
-Spadoof

Spadoof said:
Dear Readers,

Was just wondering if anyone could point me in the directions of How-To Setup SSH Resources. I have no prior exeperience with this so resources that take that into account would be greatly appriciated. What I want to do is setup a computer I can access via SSH. I know that you have to open port 22 on the router your using and some other things but at the moment I am really confused. I need some documentation that will step me through everything. The computer that I want to SSH into has ubuntu linux. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
-Spadoof
If all you are doing is SSHing into a computer with a running SSH server all you need is a client - like PUTTY

If you need FTP via SSH (SFTP for short) you can use any supporting client, for example Filezilla

If you are wanting to run an SSH server on an ubuntu machine you control, all you have to do is install the SSH Daemon and client.

Code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client

test it out.

Code:
ssh localhost

No local configuration is required, unless you want to limit users permission to use the service.

Pretty simple really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spadoof said:
I know that you have to open port 22 on the router your using and some other things but at the moment I am really confused.
Make sure you change the port from a non-default port if your going to open it up to the world

Last edited by a moderator:
Back