How to maintain a loyal userbase

VirtuaLeech

Quote from The Magic Box

- Ken Kutaragi mentioned that PlayStation 3 will be downward compatible to both PlayStation 2 and PSone, they intend to keep backward compatibility in all future machines, just like music CDs can be played on each new computer system, and PSone compatibility will be achieved through software emulation.

Well done Sony.

I'm glad they're doing it, but I wonder how often people will actually use that capability. When I heard the PS2 was going to be backwards compatible, I did back flips. Other than Tony Hawk 3 (until the PS2 Tony Hawk came out), I don't think I played any other PSX games on my PS2. They just seemed too ... old. I wonder if I will feel the same way about PS2 games when the PS3 comes out.

I agree, I think the backwards compatibility does work very good however as a sales argument to parents (a very big buyer group). They can safely purchase their kid a new console without all their old games becoming obsolete.

It's also smart from a publishers/developers standpoint, there are still coming out new PSone games today, because you not only reach the psone userbase but also people who upgraded to the PS2.

Maybe when the PS3 is released Sony will release the PSone development kit to the public domain :D

btw I am still playing PSone games on the PS2. Mostley games that I never bought the first time around and can now be picked up for very little (Front Mission 3 for example) And when its party time BishiBashi, Incredible crisis, Poy Poy and the DDR games still work their charm.

I'm an RPG player an buy most RPGs the time they come out (since many aren't available after a few years).

But I didn't have the time to play through all of them, so I still have about 10-15 PS1 RPGs left to play and am really happy I still can play them on my PS2 :)

I don't think they're too old, cause in RPGs story is most important (for me :)) and I really like hand-drawn 2D backgrounds and sprites (like in Tales of Phantasia or Legend of Mana).

Back