How To: Get Windows Xp To Recognise Your Gp2x

grahf

MK1 first edition #299, still going strong.
Website
Visit site
I didnt post this sooner, since i know there are a lot of morons out there.
Those having problems getting their XP machine to recognise ther gp2x
can try the following:

Go to Start, run, and type in: compmgmt.msc
Click on "Disk Management"

It may take a few minutes to populate the listing, depending on machine.
You will be able to see a listing of drives and partitions. Find your gp2x on that list.
You will be able to assign a drive letter to it by right clicking. On my machine, I
had to make a partition and then set that partition as active manually before it would
show. If your SD card is not brand new, you may skip that step.

DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE unless you know what your doing, in which
case you didnt need to read this thread :lol: oh, and make sure the gp2x is plugged
in before you try this ;)

to be sure, switch your USB ocntroller to 1.1; or even more simple: use a 1.1 hub ! :D

then , you can do anything :p

If you don't see your GP2X in the list, then you should be able to get to it by clicking on your hard drive and using the box down below that says (for a 1 GB card) 980 MB, Unallocated (There will be a lot of boxes, one per drive). But, of course, double-check that it's the GP2X before you partition it (try properties and such...).

Yeah i used dsk mngr the first time on my XP machine. It formatted and took forever and after that Gp2x still couldn't read my SD card.

But I also could not use the same card to flash the firmware update. I think its my 1Gig SD card. I had to swicth to my 256MB ScanDisk

grahf posted on Dec 9 2005 at 06:22 PM said:
I didnt post this sooner, since i know there are a lot of morons out there.
Those having problems getting their XP machine to recognise ther gp2x
can try the following:

Go to Start, run, and type in: compmgmt.msc
Click on "Disk Management"

It may take a few minutes to populate the listing, depending on machine.
You will be able to see a listing of drives and partitions. Find your gp2x on that list.
You will be able to assign a drive letter to it by right clicking. On my machine, I
had to make a partition and then set that partition as active manually before it would
show. If your SD card is not brand new, you may skip that step.

DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE unless you know what your doing, in which
case you didnt need to read this thread :lol: oh, and make sure the gp2x is plugged
in before you try this ;)

Thank you very much this was very helpful, but i still have a few more problems that maybe y'all can help me with! I got my win xp pro pc to recognize my GP2X but im trying to put Quake (the first thing i wanna try) folder with all its contents onto my Kodak 128 MB SD card and when i disconnect my gp2x to see if it works i get all these folders with wierd titles (maybe in Korean) that were not put on there and when i hook it all back to my pc it doesnt show all those it only shows what i put on there which was the Quake files but i cant seem to get it working! Also how come I cant use the NAND memory? All these problems are prolly acciated with the firmware as i still havent updated not one time as im VERY VERY afraid of bricking my gp2x! Any help is very appreciated thanx guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
WARNING, THIS GUIDE DOES NOT WORK.

This is EXACTLY what people tried before, the GP2X can't recognize the card after the formatting.

Solution : Get a Card Reader and format it using that.

That is the number one reason Craig decided to give out free card readers.

Partitioning under xp worked fine for me. Will it work for everyone? No.

This is still the proper way to assign a drive letter to your device, whether or not you choose to format your card in the device.

Manually asigning a letter won't be needed once the firmware gets straightened out.

grahf posted on Dec 10 2005 at 07:46 PM said:
Partitioning under xp worked fine for me. Will it work for everyone? No.

This is still the proper way to assign a drive letter to your device, whether or not you choose to format your card in the device.

Manually asigning a letter won't be needed once the firmware gets straightened out.

Your guide does not take into account the fact that the device does show up in Disk Management at all.

If it doesn't appear there, you can't format it . . . :(

If it appears there, you already have access to it . . . :(

Last edited by a moderator:
>>>If it appears there, you already have access to it . . .

not always. What happens sometimes with windows is the device will be recognised, but windows will not assign a drive letter to it. This happens a lot with generic card readers, and other usb virtual drives. If windows does not recognise the device at all, this wont help.

Back