How To Fix Faulty Right Shoulder Button?

fade

Website
Visit site
It looks like i'm going to have to try to fix my Right Shoulder Button, as it doesn't appear to be working correctly. I found that I wasn't able to select some options in the likes of scummvm and Speccyal (for selecting letters etc) I thought maybe i was just pressing the wrong thing but I noticed if i pressed down a bit harder it was sometimes registering, and sometimes not. Not good.

I had a quick search through the forums for 'Shoulder Button' and found Azure's Ghetto Button fix, isn't it weird how he also had a faulty 'Right' shoulder button, as opposed to the left?

Anyway, everything he's mentioned sounds pretty familiar so i'm going to have try to sort it. So, in advance before I attempt this, can anyone out there give me some seasoned advice to make it a bit easier? The idea of having to open it up so soon is scaring the hell out me.

you really don't need to be scared, it's not that hard. As you may have seen in Azure's post, there are screws behind the battery, so if it doesn't come apart, that's why. Also, I just bent the metal pins and didin't put in the paper, expecting to have to do so in a couple of days. That was about 15 days ago, and it's still working fine. Also, be sure to make sure that it really is hitting the buttonbefore you put it back together. That's about all I can think of. Hope that helps.

spongebue posted on Sep 20 2004 at 12:19 PM said:
Also, I just bent the metal pins and didn't put in the paper, expecting to have to do so in a couple of days.  That was about 15 days ago, and it's still working fine. 

Thanks for the reply guys, I think i read in a couple of posts about people accidentally breaking the metal pins, i just don't want to do that by mistake! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
my R button is a bitty sticky , sometimes isnt doent clip up all the way. but itstill works , just a little thing that gets my goat lol

haha, and I thought I was the only one with R button problems :)

I also just bent the metal thingie, that was about half a year or more ago. Still works fine :)

Well, its fixed. But i did manage to accidentally snap one of the little metal springy bars in the R button while attempting to bend it slightly (doh!). :(

I freaked out when that happened, let me tell you. After scratching my head for a while I decided to remove the little metal piece altogether and just glued a little piece of rubber into the middle of the button. I measured the piece of rubber so that it would be sitting just above the switch inside.

After sticking everything back together again and powering up, it's working great. No more unresponsiveness! Seeing as its rubber it just springs back up again everytime after a button press too. The only thing is that it doesn't click as loudly as the left hand side, but I don't mind that. :) I should've taken some pics to let ya'll see.

surprisingly i've got too R button problems.
he isn't so taut and sturdy anymore (are these the right words? i don't know)
and he doesn't do anymore the sensitive click like the left one.

what can i do?

abc_Keks posted on Sep 20 2004 at 06:24 PM said:
surprisingly i've got too R button problems.
he isn't so taut and sturdy anymore (are these the right words? i don't know)
and he doesn't do anymore the sensitive click like the left one.

what  can i do?

Well you could try doing what I did, but i'd recommend a bit more caution than I showed (Although its working fine now) :)

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=12932&hl=

This is what I looked at first before I attempted anything and it'll let you see the little inner button inside the R shoulder button if you're going to try to fix it. You can see from the first picture that all you really need is something to come down
and press the inner button when you press the R shoulder button.

Normally its the little piece of metal inside the shoulder button, but if you accidentally break this whilst trying to bend it down a little further, you can replace it with something else inside the R shoulder button, just as long as its enough to push the inner button.

Hope that makes sense! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHA!!! All you guys with crappy R buttons, I lough at you! mine is working fine B)

But not my L button. :(

So, don`t take this post as offense, just making fun of myself... i`m really just joking, you guys are great.

I was just wondering, why all of your R buttons are not working and I have the only L button that is crappy... I feel so alone :unsure: :eek:

Are you left handed? Just asking incase you've configured this button because its more comfortable an use it more often.

No, I`m right handed. I just think it happened when I was putting my gp32 back together after coloring it... But I had no patience to open it again to fix it yet as long as the button works. It just makes no clicking noise any more, and doesn`t lift all the way up, well, it just feels not right as it felt before the coloring...

Don't bend it too much though or you'll snap the bugger! Since i did that i've had to create my own little 'mod' to get it to work again.

Back