warranty "crash test dummies"

WARNING: the following post contains suggestions of hideous Pandora abuse.

I was wondering if anyone at OP has some Pandoras sacrificed for out-of-warranty testing/sample.

- running 100% cpu/gpu at over-clock + high OPP (5 or more (?) ) in its case at tropic room temperature with a watchdog restart until it completely dies

- left lid open in the sun

- left on a car dashboard

- water damaged & dried/cleaned

- humidity damaged & dried/cleaned

documenting the damage at intervals, so you guys have a few references to compare with in case of suspicious returns which would hurt the project.

plus it'd make some cool (morbid) pictures (probably better to be released when the production chaos is over)

I know people are still waiting for their units (myself included) no need to reply

OMG!!111! NO!! IZ NO H4V3 T3H PANDORA YET!. :p

the 3 first test can be done with a otherwise unsellable pandora, like the dead wifi boards

- running 100% cpu/gpu at over-clock + high OPP (5 or more (?) ) in its case at tropic room temperature with a watchdog restart until it completely dies

- left on a car dashboard

- left on Craigix's car dashboard

- water damaged & dried/cleaned

- humidity damaged & dried/cleaned

Added a fire damage option. :)

I think originally, OPT was going under good faith: people who OC (note: overclocking vs. overvolt) know what they're doing, because there wouldn't be a physical indicator.

One thing with the architecture is that it doesn't produce excess heat (vs. x86) but shortens the lifespan of the components.

So if they got a completely dead board they might become suspicious considering they're doing a little more than a simple I/O test on their production benches (both at factory and assembly lines) to begin with.

On another note, I do remember someone stating that the boards, under normal use (non-overvolted unit), lifespan is expected somewhere in the area of 10~20 years range.

People will probably outlive their warranties and have other components fail well before the mainboard ever does (perhaps even with overvolt).

Hmm, I thought the 'exact' values were 10 years of continuous use (24 hours a day) at OP3 and 5 years at OP5. Though I have no links to prove it, but I remember reading it at least.

I've seen so many gadgets die coz of:

- left on a car dashboard (in the sun, or just asking to get the car window bricked in)

There should be an agency against gadget abuse!!!!

Back