How Should My Sd Card Be Formatted?

Izomiac

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X today and haven't been able to get it to do anything useful. It boots fine without an SD card, but have trouble booting it with one inserted. I have never been able to use the USB interface (never showed up with or without an SD card when I went to that menu option). I have a 64 MB Sandisk SD Card (I plan on getting a bigger one later). If I format it with XP's format utility (FAT or FAT32, 2 card readers, 2 computers) the GP2X never gets past the green loading screen. If I use mkdosfs (ported version) with the -s 16 option it will boot (I'm used FAT16 since XP apparently doesn't like FAT32 cards formatted with that number of sectors per cluster). So I formated my card with "mkdosfs -s 16 -F 16 -n SDCard64 B:", and put a few test files on it. I never saw any of them on the GP2X even though it booted (my laptop can see them just fine). I'm fairly sure the card is formated like a disk and not like a harddrive. Right now I'm waiting for my batteries to recharge, but does anyone know how I should format my SD card or if my unit is defective or what?

Izomiac posted on Dec 26 2005 at 02:17 AM said:
I just got my GP2X today and haven't been able to get it to do anything useful. It boots fine without an SD card, but have trouble booting it with one inserted. I have never been able to use the USB interface (never showed up with or without an SD card when I went to that menu option). I have a 64 MB Sandisk SD Card (I plan on getting a bigger one later). If I format it with XP's format utility (FAT or FAT32, 2 card readers, 2 computers) the GP2X never gets past the green loading screen. If I use mkdosfs (ported version) with the -s 16 option it will boot (I'm used FAT16 since XP apparently doesn't like FAT32 cards formatted with that number of sectors per cluster). So I formated my card with "mkdosfs -s 16 -F 16 -n SDCard64 B:", and put a few test files on it. I never saw any of them on the GP2X even though it booted (my laptop can see them just fine). I'm fairly sure the card is formated like a disk and not like a harddrive. Right now I'm waiting for my batteries to recharge, but does anyone know how I should format my SD card or if my unit is defective or what?

try changing -F 16 to -F 32 :) and you can probably ignore the -s and use -I

I would go for:

Code:
mkdosfs -F 32 -I -n SDCard64 B:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried formating my card that way, and XP can read it and my GP2X boots with it. Unfortunately it still doesn't show any of the files in anything. I have 10 files (a few jpegs, an mp3, an ogg, a txt, and an avi) in the root directory of the card. I tried explorer and all the players, but after pushing B when SD Card is selected I get a screen with the same heading, but nothing listed where the files should be. I also tried putting some files in a subdirectory, but had the same results.

Edit:

Ok, I just fixed it. The problem seems to have been that my SD card was formatted like a superfloppy and my GP2X wanted it like a hard disk. I used this program to change that (shareware but the demo works fine for this purpose), and then formatted it with the command above. Thanks for the help.

Back