Sd Card Not Showing Up On Gp2x And Formatting

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
Um, I should know this but I've forgotten:

I formatted my card both with mkdosfs and mkfs.vfat and cfdisk type vfat a and it still doesn't show up when I go to the games menu and select sd. It just gives me a blank screen. How was I supposed to format these things?

klikklak said:
Um, I should know this but I've forgotten:

I formatted my card both with mkdosfs and mkfs.vfat and cfdisk type vfat a and it still doesn't show up when I go to the games menu and select sd. It just gives me a blank screen. How was I supposed to format these things?
You have put some files on it, haven't you? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's not working at all - ie., not booting into Gmenu either? If you can connect the GP2X to the PC and see the files on the card from there, then you've got the same problem I had once. Required a firmware flash.

Did you use a cardreader on your PC or did you use the GP2X as a cardreader? The 2X seems to be not very reliable as a cardreader/formatting tool, especially the F200.

Maybe you should also try a Windows machine, sometimes it seems Windows formats the card slightly different.

Another option would be to use a camera, if you have one that accepts SD cards. Or borrow one.

Last possibility, if all methods described above fail, your card could be broken. But at least you should get error messages during formatting then. Did you get any?

What type of card is it?

I have found some cards don't work on my GP2X, such as the 4GB SDHC card I bought the other day. It works perfectly well in a card reader and in the Wiz, but is not seen at all by the GP2X :(

The card is a reasonably reliable 16gb topram from ebay. I did put files on it, but nothing showed up. I used a card reader.
The card used to work, but tbh it's been trouble, mostly because of write errors causing read-only state. It's not as bad as my 8gb card also from ebay. DO NOT BUY FROM THERE!

Anyway, it starts ok, gives me the gp2x menu's, but when I select games->game it doesn't show parent directory so I can't navigate there. Also when I put everything under games directory it doesn't show any of the directories.

I'll try formatting at school tomorrow, maybe the windows boxes over there will work better. Oh yeah, the card shows up on my eee, so I moved it to movie duty.

I've found only a few memory cards from eBay NOT to be fake. Most of them are, especially when they're much cheaper than the regular shop price.

If you want a reliable memory card, whatever the kind or brand, buy it in a shop where you can go and complain and eventually return it. If you buy it on eBay, it's like playing russian roulette, unless you have good experiences from former deals with the same seller.

Currently, I'm buying and reselling Memory Stick cards from a Hongkong seller which definitely are fake, but I've tested them thouroughly and found them to be reliable. With several tens of cards, only one has returned yet.

Yeah, the best card I've got from there is the Topram one, which is so obscure/small that nobody would want to fake their logos. But I've learnt my lesson and despite problems I did get some usevalue out of them.

Back