How Much Memory Is Too Much?

kalsun77

Still Fresh
Is there any limit to the size of SD Memory Card that my GP32X Wiz can use? I've heard of some things not being able to use bigger then a 2gig or whatever, and I don't want to spend the money on a larger card just to find out it doesn't work.

SDHC is supported, and there's no reason larger ones won't work. 4GB SD (non-SDHC) are non-standard and I wouldn't count on them working.

Well, i have a 8GB SD SDHC and it work perfectly! ^^
And i bet he can handle more than this! ^^

Yes, that's right. And many people on here use 32GB SDHC cards...people like myself. :wiz: B)

H-P-SDHC_class10-32GB.jpg

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51342-sd-card-wich-brand-and-size/

Last edited by a moderator:
kalsun77 said:
Is there any limit to the size of SD Memory Card that my GP32X Wiz can use? I've heard of some things not being able to use bigger then a 2gig or whatever, and I don't want to spend the money on a larger card just to find out it doesn't work.
How much memory is too much?

640K! They will NEVER need 640K!

Learn from history, buy the biggest card you can afford.

Seriously, I know that the Wiz can use at LEAST 8GB.

Chris

I wish people would stop using the fictitious 640KB comment to try to justify some quantity never being "enough" :/

I've got a Kingston 32 GB SDHC Memory Card.

I originally had a 2GB card in my wiz with just my games. Then I decided I wanted music and movies also.

I transferred all the folders and files from my 2GB to my 32GB, put it in my wiz, and nothing.

I'm still living with the 2GB....

Any Ideas??

JayWhite said:
I've got a Kingston 32 GB SDHC Memory Card.

I originally had a 2GB card in my wiz with just my games. Then I decided I wanted music and movies also.

I transferred all the folders and files from my 2GB to my 32GB, put it in my wiz, and nothing.

I'm still living with the 2GB....

Any Ideas??

I say try re-formatting the 32GB card to FAT32 (if it isn't already), and try it again. It may work, it may not, but it's worth a shot.

I say try re-formatting the 32GB card to FAT32 (if it isn't already), and try it again. It may work, it may not, but it's worth a shot.

You just might be right, as the file system of it is currently NTFS.

I'm going to give this a shot here soon!

Can you flash firmwares from SDHC cards? I remember someone here had troubles with that, so maybe it would be a good idea to have a regular SD around just in case.

Exophase said:
I wish people would stop using the fictitious 640KB comment to try to justify some quantity never being "enough" :/

Fictitious? It's been around for a LONG time... I heard it for the first time in the 80's! Besides, how else would you explain the INGENIOUS idea to put the bios at the top of memory rather than the bottom?

Either way, I think it illustrates the faulty thinking that you can EVER have too much memory or storage. I remember when I got my first 500mb hard disk and I thought, god, I'll NEVER fill this!

Chris

christo930 said:
Fictitious? It's been around for a LONG time... I heard it for the first time in the 80's! Besides, how else would you explain the INGENIOUS idea to put the bios at the top of memory rather than the bottom?

An urban myth being old doesn't make it true. If anything the older it is the less likely it is to be true. Bill Gates has personally denied making this statement on several occasions, and no factual evidence has ever been provided. He never said it. The whole thing was made up.

Either way, Microsoft had nothing to do with the design of the PC. Furthermore, I don't know what you're talking about with respect to the PC BIOS, which is situated in the last 8KB of the 1MB 8086 address space. The interrupt vectors and some communication area is in the first little bit, but that doesn't take up a significant amount of space. Having interrupt vectors start at location 0 is bog standard for a CPU. What difference does it make anyway? With the segmented address space programs aren't going to really care if they're operating in the top or the bottom, and no matter where you put the BIOS it still has to reside in the address space. Maybe you think 384KB was too liberal of a hardware map space, but IBM had some justification in choosing the original layout they did. There's nothing very wrong with the address space of the original 8086, and it wasn't small by the standards of the time (although 68k could address a full 16MB). The only problem was the slow adaptation of 32bit mode, which was due to all sorts of reasons that I doubt had anything to do with anyone thinking 640KB was "enough for anybody."

christo930 said:
Either way, I think it illustrates the faulty thinking that you can EVER have too much memory or storage. I remember when I got my first 500mb hard disk and I thought, god, I'll NEVER fill this!

Chris

Maybe you felt that way, you can't really speak for others. What does it really have to do with this thread? No one is suggesting an SD card size will be okay "forever"; you make decisions based on your needs with expectation that at some point you'll have to adapt to changes in said needs. That doesn't mean that buying the largest thing you can today (which usually comes at a substantial price premium) is automatically the best decision you can make.

What about getting a little back at least near "on-topic"? ;)

JayWhite will be glad to hear that formatting the SD-card with FAT32 should really do the trick.
NTFS is NOT supported by the WIZ.

rds

Kasi

By the way, I always preferred DR-DOS instead of MS-DOS. :D

kasi said:
What about getting a little back at least near "on-topic"? ;)

What's there to get back to? The guy's questions were answered..

kasi said:
JayWhite will be glad to hear that formatting the SD-card with FAT32 should really do the trick.
NTFS is NOT supported by the WIZ.

That wasn't the topic, and it too was answered.

So yeah, let's get back to redundantly answering questions everyone >_>

Back