GP2X Approx How Much Memory Do We Have To Play With?

Gadget

What's the surface memory limit using the SW SDL? Someone said it was 5Mb, is this correct? Additionally, how much RAM is available to my .gpe file? (I had assumed that SW surfaces would just eat up whatever 'total' free memory the application has available to it, linking the two together, eg. If we have 32Mb and you use 16Mb for SW surfaces, you would have 16Mb free for the program use)

And can anyone point out any usefull functions that I can use to tell me what's remaining / used by my game?

Gadget posted on Aug 19 2006 at 11:41 AM said:
What's the surface memory limit using the SW SDL? Someone said it was 5Mb, is this correct? Additionally, how much RAM is available to my .gpe file? (I had assumed that SW surfaces would just eat up whatever 'total' free memory the application has available to it, linking the two together, eg. If we have 32Mb and you use 16Mb for SW surfaces, you would have 16Mb free for the program use)

And can anyone point out any usefull functions that I can use to tell me what's remaining / used by my game?

IIRC you should be able to get at ~25MB of the 920T's main RAM and if you choose to use Paeryn's HW-SDL, older versions support 5MB of the upper 32MB for hardware surfaces, one recent test supports 16MB, and future releases will let you vary the amount you'd like to use to pave over 940T RAM areas, probably letting you use nearly the full upper 32MB for hardware surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back