How Much Battery...

craigix said:
Interestingly the Pandora should work with a PSP power supply.
LOL, My PSP-toting friends who I'm trying to convert will like that. ;)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
hey all, if those 12000 MaH batteries are the same ones on DX, they have metal weights inside them. an awesome mod would be to fit a HDD into one.

Crasherball said:
I've just found this:
http://playtomato.co.kr/products/products_d18.php

what dyou think?
it looks nice - maybe 60gb is kinda too small for some people.....but its okay with me!

what dyou think? lets mass-order that thing from korea ;)

Just looked at your post. I don't think that that Hard drive is plug and play. If you scroll down, you see what looks to be an installation disc.

-God Ginrai

waffles said:
hey all, if those 12000 MaH batteries are the same ones on DX, they have metal weights inside them. an awesome mod would be to fit a HDD into one.

12000mah_lawks.jpg
:(
I see also that I was totally mistaken.. that batteryset is a set of two parts.. not four regular cylinders :/ there goes my plans with that tube:y thing :( it was such a cool idea. could've use as weppon against muggers too..

ya well I guess the disc just contains drivers for e.g. win98 and some manuals.

idk

but it looks good

and why shouldnt it be plug n play?
its an external harddrive

So, I have to ask, Crasher, exactly how much music are we talking about here? I mean, 16GB SDHC cards are only like $50, and Pandora can hold two of them. 32GB cards are available too, but are still a bit expensive (~$150), but the 64GB cards are expected by the end of the year, at which point the 32's will surely drop in price.

Just curious...

I think it would be nice to have about 60gig (or more for the future) for my music-database.

I just hate to choose some favourite songs that I'd like to hear the next couple days, to put em on the sd-card.
because I'm really lazy, and will forget changing the songs, and keep enging up listening to the same songs for like a month, until I HATE em :D

Crasherball said:
I think it would be nice to have about 60gig (or more for the future) for my music-database.

I just hate to choose some favourite songs that I'd like to hear the next couple days, to put em on the sd-card.
because I'm really lazy, and will forget changing the songs, and keep enging up listening to the same songs for like a month, until I HATE em :D
What format you using?

God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:
God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:
No, they aren't CF cards because then they wouldn't be hard drives. And I'm pretty sure you'd need to develop the drivers yourself since afaik Apple hasn't released any arm drivers and it's a proprietary cable. You may be able to do it with something like ipodlinux, I dunno much about that.
You've never heard of a Microdrive have you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Try learning before teaching.

-God Ginrai

"1-inch hard disk designed to fit in a CompactFlash (CF) Type II slot."
:p

It's still essentially a compact flash card.

That's like saying a rechargeable AA battery isn't a AA battery just because you can recharge it.

-God Ginrai

I certainly don't want to start a p*ssing match here, but I just wanted to point out that your logic and analogy are flawed. Just because a device can share the same slot as another doesn't make it the same. A microdrive is not a Compact Flash card. Compact flash, by definition is a solid state technology (i.e., no moving parts). A microdrive/harddrive is not.

I can put a modem, memory card, hard drive, network card all into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Does that mean they are all the same thing, just because they all fit in the same slot?

Sorry, but I had to say something after you came across so arrogantly as to accuse another poster of needing to "learn before teaching..." I would offer that you should follow your own advice.

I believe the gist of your point is that for all intents and purposes, Pandora would see the microdrive based device the same way it sees a CF card. That, however, is not exactly how you presented it.

I digress...

Crasherball said:
ya, so it will be more realistic having a 1.8 harddrive hooked up to a pandora?

like these ones for example:
http://www.google.com/products?q=Toshiba+4...=de&show=dd

i guess theyre kinda the same the ipod uses.

so would it be possible to "make"/buy something like a case for those internal drives to make em external?

Yeah I have an Archos which uses the same 1.8 inch drives (although that drive uses an IDE interface, not ZIF), and when I upgraded the drive I just bought an enclosure off ebay to throw the old one in, they are powered by the USB port and pretty low draw. Just make sure you get the right interface, modern IPods use the ZIF interface, some older ones used the IDE.

Also, Toshiba and Hitachi hard drives use different interfaces, so make sure you match up the right hard drive.

The 1.8 inch drive in an enclosure would be the ideal external storage for the Pandora, small power requirements, yet quite a bit more storage than what an SD card can hold right now.

Why not use a 1.8" USB HDD like the ones utilized by the iPod. Power consumption is low and they are still fast enough to stream music from, and probably non-HD video too.

I just froogled the trekstor-drive (google germany)
and found a couple of shops that actually sell it...
120gig €126,00
80gig €108,90
20gig €47,99

ya, so sofar the "cirago" from newegg really seems to be the best....

€dit: unfortunatly newegg doesnt ship outside the US

I wonder if there are actually differences between those harddrives regarding to energy-consumption...

Back