How Many Of Us Have A Dingoo And Run Dingux?

Got Dingux?

• I have a Dingoo with dual-boot Dingux installed.

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • I have a Dingoo without dual-boot Dingux installed.

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • I do not have a Dingoo.

Votes: 33 40.7%

• Total voters

dgame

Wondering how many people on this site have a Dingoo A320 with the dual-boot Dingux (Linux for Dingoo) installed.

I followed the z_man guide off the a320.freeforums.org site which was lots of help, I have mame4all and snes9x which are great but for me the whole thing of going through virtualbox/ubuntu, then configuring dmenu to add/run new emulators etc is a bit of a pain in the ass, obviously lots of people have put a lot of work into getting the dingoo this far and I appreciate that but until there's a less time consuming way of adding emus/roms I'll probably wait a bit. Obviously there's ways of sharing folders from windows to virtual box but I couldn't be arsed, so I ended up having to grab Roms I already had from elsewhere via firefox, via ubuntu etc etc.

@Cupcakes: You do know you can format your SD card as one FAT32 partition now? Also on the dingoo-A320 forums there are pre-configured archives you just drag and drop over and everything is set up, you just add the roms and data files where necessary.

Dingoo Linux is almost there. It's just missing a few things for the user and the developer.

The user is missing a good/easy-to-use application launcher. I like the idea of xmb as it's consistent with the non-Linux frontend.
The developer is missing reliable telnet/ftp - which though not essential would making developing quite a bit more efficient.

just got my dingoo 2 days ago (finally). Am very happy with it and looking forward to install dingux. Only problem is, I couldn't find a local store that sells mini-sd cards, so I had to order a micro-sd with an adaptor via internet. As soon as that arrives, I'll give it a try.

cupcakes, linux isnt needed anymore.

dingux is good, but needs a lot of work. very excited about things to come.

i was aware of the new way of installing via windows but i was under the impression the current batch of emulators werent compatible with this method.are any of you using the fat32 route? if so how easy is installing emus compared to the old way?

everything that worked the old way now works on a fat32 card. Check toddlers and warpedflashs local images for a drag n drop method of installing everything in one go. Installing stuff manually is as easy dropping the app where you want it and editing the dmenu.cfg to point to the executable and icon files.
You should read the a320freeforums and the dingoo blog more, not much news makes it to here :)
Sorry for block of text, posting from phone.

My Dingoo is on order right now, so I will soon be joining the ranks of Dingux users. It all sounds very interesting, and I'm thrilled that there is finally a homebrew platform that is similar in size to the Gameboy micro (which is in my opinion the perfect size for a handheld).

im not having much luck with the fat32 method, im presuming i dont need to redo the part which eventually gives you the dingux logo when you boot up. i downloaded the drag and drop pack by toddler (ver. 0.17), deleted the unwanted zImage, renamed the required zImage to 'zImage', drag the local folder, rootfs and zImage files over to root of sd card, hold select, boot up dingoo, wait...wait....wait.... still looking at the dingux logo....i guess its not working. can anyone tell me where im going wrong??? many thanks

CUPC4KES said:
im not having much luck with the fat32 method, im presuming i dont need to redo the part which eventually gives you the dingux logo when you boot up. i downloaded the drag and drop pack by toddler (ver. 0.17), deleted the unwanted zImage, renamed the required zImage to 'zImage', drag the local folder, rootfs and zImage files over to root of sd card, hold select, boot up dingoo, wait...wait....wait.... still looking at the dingux logo....i guess its not working. can anyone tell me where im going wrong??? many thanks

You absolutely have to redo the part that eventually gives you the dingoo logo when you boot up. Else without the new programming, how's Dingux going to know hot to handle the fat32 data? I recommend you go through the "Dingux For Idiots" tutorial listed on this thread:

http://a320.freeforums.org/complete-idiot-s-guide-to-installing-dingux-with-windows-t821.html

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely.

You basically have to do this things:

1. Open a partitioning program and partition your miniSD-card, so the first (and maybe only) partition is a fat32 one.
2. Follow the readme-file in the dingux-system archive (find out which kernel is the right one for your dingoo, extract the archive to the miniSD, rename the fitting kernel-inage)
3. Download and extract the dualboot-installer to your hd, follow readme (start the executable for your OS, follow the instructions. done)
4. Load stuff to your miniSD. http://a320.freeforums.org/fat32-sd-image-local-0-18-updated-03-08-2009-11-29-am-t813.html is very helpfull.

Done!

It's easy as pie and can be done from any OS. The readme-files in the archives have all the info you need.

I've installed dingux some days ago and am very happy with it.

PolloLoco said:
CUPC4KES said:

You absolutely have to redo the part that eventually gives you the dingoo logo when you boot up. Else without the new programming, how's Dingux going to know hot to handle the fat32 data? I recommend you go through the "Dingux For Idiots" tutorial listed on this thread:

http://a320.freeforums.org/complete-idiot-s-guide-to-installing-dingux-with-windows-t821.html

well i had thought that myself, but i asked someone on the live chat on the dingoo blog site who had said the dingoo wouldnt need flashing again, jst get rid of your ext3 partition, format to fat32, then drag and drop the toddler open files on to the sd. at least i know now, thanks.

afaik there was only one dual boot installer for linux and for windows so you wont have to redo it. just format your card to fat32 and dump the files on. i have heard that you must rename the zImage file on your PC before you move it to the SD card or else it wont boot. dingux is experiencing some problems at the moment, read dingux.com for more info.

thanks for the advice, ive gone through the complete idiots guide totally by the rules, and still it hangs on the dingux logo when i try and start the dual boot, i even tried getting rid of dingux then reinstalling, using toddlers 0.19 release, renaming the correct zImage file, anyone have any suggestions at all, im starting to wish id of stuck with the ext3 dual boot

gibberish said:
afaik there was only one dual boot installer for linux and for windows so you wont have to redo it. just format your card to fat32 and dump the files on. i have heard that you must rename the zImage file on your PC before you move it to the SD card or else it wont boot. dingux is experiencing some problems at the moment, read dingux.com for more info.

I might be wrong. I'm unsure now when I read Booboo's original FAT Dingux release info:

http://www.dingux.com/2009/07/system-installation-pack-and-toolchain.html

I've got an idea to fix your problem, but it might be a longshot. What's the firmware of your Dingoo? The only time I had that freeze happen is when I was running 1.03, and tried to apply the fixed version of the Genesis emulator. I updated the firmware to 1.1, and the freezing went away.

I'm not sure this is the problem - but it's just a thought.

Has anybody managed to get dingux installed using windows vista?
Im only asking because ive tried it, and i have the china chip drivers,and vista will let me uninstall them,but it quickly reinstalls them again.
Anybody know a way of doing it>

PolloLoco said:
I've got an idea to fix your problem, but it might be a longshot. What's the firmware of your Dingoo? The only time I had that freeze happen is when I was running 1.03, and tried to apply the fixed version of the Genesis emulator. I updated the firmware to 1.1, and the freezing went away.

I'm not sure this is the problem - but it's just a thought.

Yes I'm running 1.03 firmware, thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try it tonight.

edit: ive discovered that theres something wrong with my mini sd card, its obviously when i ersaed the ext3 partition and created one fat32 partition, im still working on what i need to do but i did manage to get linux running using a spare 256mb card, no room for roms though

Back