how many 1 ghz preorders are left? and who has one coming !

This worries me, i put all my extra money into this, im sure this is a one off but I hope it doesnt come all scuffed like that..... i hope theres something between the Pandora and plug just to protect the finish....

This worries me, i put all my extra money into this, im sure this is a one off but I hope it doesnt come all scuffed like that..... i hope theres something between the Pandora and plug just to protect the finish....
Well not just one off at least two units that's why I'm asking to put bubble wrap for protection.

Mine showed up today (on my birthday! :) ) looking pretty much pristine, although I can understand the concern about a lack of protection. I was a little surprised everything was just packaged tightly together. Things seem fine although I am still trying to get it charged but that's for another thread.

One question-- I had read that 1ghz units were being shipped with a 64GB card and spare battery, is that not the case for all of them?

Well, I lied, I have other questions but I won't clog this thread with them. :)

The box itself is neat and all - but the individual components really need to be separated so they don't knock and rub against each other during transport. Simply putting a layer of the velvet between the Pandora and the components piled in on top of it would probably go a long way toward that.

When shipping something, expect it to be shaken continuously for several hours along any single random axis (truck transport), subjected to zero gravity followed by 10g stops (thrown, conveyor drops, etc...), landed on by boxes weighing upwards of 100 kilos dropped from heights of two meters and subjected to temperature extremes between -20 to 70C and potentially getting peed on by the customs inspection dog.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I had it shipped air mail. It may take a bit longer, but I've had some real bad experience with how UPS treats my stuff.

+1 for what you say and about UPS....have had multiple bad experiences with them....I do my best not to use them anymore if at all possible....

Mine showed up today (on my birthday! :) ) looking pretty much pristine, although I can understand the concern about a lack of protection. I was a little surprised everything was just packaged tightly together. Things seem fine although I am still trying to get it charged but that's for another thread.

One question-- I had read that 1ghz units were being shipped with a 64GB card and spare battery, is that not the case for all of them?

Congrats on your new Pandora!

So, what was your queue number? (not your box number....)

Thanks!

You unit would have shipped before we found the box of spare batteries.

Man, I've been waiting since April 2009 with no qualms whatsoever, but now I know the thing is actually somewhere between England and Montreal... WHERE ARE YOU MAIL MAN?!

*twiddles thumbs... looks at 2 x 32GB SD cards... twiddles thumbs...*

Anyone else in USA shipping via airmail? I got the message it processed through ISC in New York on Saturday, but my Pandora still isn't here :-

I'm in Michigan, I could drive to New York in about a day :p. Hope it comes in tomorrow!

I just got mine. I was #36 in CraigIX's queue and got wooden box #67. It makes sense if you consider the units produced service both queues.

Up front - my new 1Ghz Pandora is working and I'm not sending it back.

The cardboard shipping box arrived looking like an American football. All corners were crushed and soft.

Opening that revealed a wooden box with it's lid split.

The wood box was surrounded on 5/6 sides by about 1 layers worth of packing peanuts.

One side of the wood box was simply pressed directly against the cardboard.

Trying to lift out the wooden box - I only got the lid. It was knocked off it's hinges.

The screws for the lid hinges weren't visible - seemed gone.

Under that was the Pandora, charger, charger adapter and battery all lying in direct contact with each other.

The back of the Pandora (battery cover) has wear marks and scratches from where it was rubbing against the charger in transit.

After pulling everything out of the box I found the missing wooden box screws hidden under the packing peanuts.

Guys - the wood box is cool and everything but this $700 handheld needs better packaging.

Please put a piece of velvet -around- the Pandora itself so that it minimizes wear/rubbing with the other components.

Please use an outer box large enough for -two layers- of packing peanuts on all 6 sides.

Please add a few packing peanuts -inside- the wooden box to take up that space so the components don't slide around against each other.

In my case the outer cardboard box was pretty much destroyed in transit.

The inner wood box's lid was blown off it's hinges and split.

Some wood glue, putty and some new screws and I can fix the wooden box.

The Pandora itself survived shipment though - and I'll likely be requesting a new battery door to be sent my way, but wow is this thing cool!

Thanks guys for making the 1Ghz Pandora - I've wanted one for quite a while!

Anyone else in USA shipping via airmail? I got the message it processed through ISC in New York on Saturday, but my Pandora still isn't here :-

I'm in Michigan, I could drive to New York in about a day :p. Hope it comes in tomorrow!

Not to make you nervous, but mine went airmail. I just got it today.

Believe it or not, I've had worse luck with more expensive things through UPS.

When did yours ship? Mine shipped Tuesday last week

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2Edit: didn't see your previous post, so you shipped same day as mine. Ugh I'm dreading that box, I don't want to have waited 4 years for this just to get a scratched up device for twice the cost :- I know it's not OP's fault but it's really disheartening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeese! this is terrible :( hardly no packaging.. and all the bits just thrown in the velvet box :(

There is substantial amounts of packaging, 100+ units now delivered, one unit damaged.

All the bits are not 'thrown in to the velvet box' they are placed exactly as they are designed to be so that they are protected on all sides by the velvet (which has protection behind it too).

We have already started putting a layer of velvet between the Pandora and the battery box, but if the courier decides to play football with the package there isn't much we can really do.

I mean consider the impact required to split a wooden box in half, that would have probably smashed a Pandora in a cardboard box box totally to pieces (which has happened a few times in the past).

Jeese! this is terrible hardly no packaging.. and all the bits just thrown in the velvet box

There is substantial amounts of packaging, 100+ units now delivered, one unit damaged.

All the bits are not 'thrown in to the velvet box' they are placed exactly as they are designed to be so that they are protected on all sides by the velvet (which has protection behind it too).

We have already started putting a layer of velvet between the Pandora and the battery box, but if the courier decides to play football with the package there isn't much we can really do.

I mean consider the impact required to split a wooden box in half, that would have probably smashed a Pandora in a cardboard box box totally to pieces (which has happened a few times in the past).

True..

It's good that your putting more velvet in there between the Pandy and battery box.

I can only imagine what happened to the smashed up box :(

Stupid courier

100+ units delivered makes me excited again. My omelet number nears, probably.

Fantastic news, the extra velvet padding will surely help!!

My No57 1Ghz carnt be far now......

Awesome!

Jeese! this is terrible :( hardly no packaging.. and all the bits just thrown in the velvet box :(

I think bubble/air wrap is much stronger than velvet isn't it?

Well but I'm grad to hear that from now you decided to put some cushion in it.

That is strongly needed for international shipping (especially long distance like an Asia)

This is not a special issue.

Quite normal.

P.S.

Thx a lot coz. might be my 1GHz is safe

Number 46 has arrived in my hands. Judging from the condition of the cardboard box, Post Canada and Royal Mail took good care of it.

Fuck... It's actually here. In front of me. Right now.

Back