How About A Gp32 Emulator For The Gp2x

So you can emulate the 2 commercial games worth playing? It's easier just to port any homebrew stuff over, but seriously, do you really want to play the commercial games?

Laintsurge posted on Dec 15 2005 at 12:22 PM said:
Why wouldn't it be possible. I don't think it would be very useful though, granted.

Well, it would allow you to play all of the existing software for the gp32. Alot of homebrewn projects have not been updated in years and are pretty good games. It also seems simple enough given they both use the same cpu. One of the gp2x cpu's could run the emulator the other run the gp32 software. If it was developed quickly and ran full speed, it would open up alot of software for the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laintsurge posted on Dec 15 2005 at 06:22 PM said:
Why wouldn't it be possible. I don't think it would be very useful though, granted.
because even geepee for the pc can only emulate a gp32 in 66mhz mode without sound.

aapje89 posted on Dec 15 2005 at 08:53 PM said:
because even geepee for the pc can only emulate a gp32 in 66mhz mode without sound.

Yeah, though your PC needs to emulate the processor - and the gp2x doesn't need to do that.

Last edited:
The GeePee32 emulator for the PC is purposely capped at 66MHz so it's only good for getting screenshots or running simple programs/ports seeing what needs fixing.

Homebrew, ports and emulators from the GP32 should work in an emulator for the GP2X. Commercial games coded to a specific SMC card or a specific GP32 will NOT work.

Commercial games that aren't protected like that might be playable on an emulator, but I don't know for sure.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 16 2005 at 05:01 AM said:
aapje89 posted on Dec 15 2005 at 08:53 PM said:

Yeah, though your PC needs to emulate the processor - and the gp2x doesn't need to do that.

Yeah, I think that the GP2X should be quite capable of "emulating" the GP32, it would just take someone with some time and dedication to do it.

didnt gpadvance (the GBA emulator for the GP32) do what your thinking of?

An extract from gpadvance.sourceforge.net (GPAdvanced homepage)

Classic emulators have to emulate everything (i.e. processor, RAM, ROM, video processor, keys, timers, ...) with only the use of the computer processor, that is why you need at least a 700Mhz computer to emulate a small gba (which has a 16MHz processor). The GP32 processor is compatible with the GBA one, so the first idea is to not emulate the gba processor but to directly run the code present in the GBA roms. Of course it is not as simple as to rename a .gba file to a .gxb file, but it runs !

If i remeber correctly, what enf65 did was just link the intructions from the GBA to run directly on the GP32's CPU.
So, from what i gather, it is quite possible. :unsure:

Back