Houston We Have A Problem

bernwa

Still Fresh
a big feckin problem.

i plugged in my gp2x to my laptop last night, with the intention of updating gmenu2x and squidgesnes.

after loading the updated versions and copying the snes roms into the correct folder, i rebooted, and noticed that when i try to access the squidgesnes 0.38 folder it came up with the message "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" and yet squidgesnes 0.38 worked fine, and the roms were loadable. i just cant access the folder from my computer or delete the folder at all :(

i then checked the properties on the squidgesnes folder, and it cam up 0 bytes. Where the feck has my my roms gone?

i rebooted both the gp2x and my laptop, but the same problem arose again. I then tried to reload gmenu2x 0.6 and now i cant delete the folder \gmenu2x\imgs\battery. what the hell is going on? it worked fine before this, has my gp2x got a virus? the only things i have loaded are gmenu2x 0.7 and squidgsnes 0.38. i'm a little worried that my sd card has somehow been corrupted, what can you people suggest?

please help, im at a loss and i dont wanna fork out for another sd card, or a new gp2x :(

/edit - since writing this, ive formatted my sd card and copied all the stuff back from my backup. but why the hell did it happen in the first place? now ive gotta find some rare roms that i cant seem to find on the net anymore... :( poo

Well for one I don't think you had/have a virus for two reasons

1. Linux isn't prone to viruses like windows is
2. Most Linux Viruses (all 200 or so) are designed to infect i386 compatible machines. So they wont work on the gp2x anyway :)

My guess is that your laptop didn't unmount the SD card properly leaving the FAT corrupted. Happen to me when I was using my SD card on a WinXP machine here at work.

You can usually fix those by running chkdsk (windows) or fsck.msdos (linux) on the SD card, I have found that doing this usually fixes the corruption without formatting.

What he said... a similar thing happened to me with some homebrew on the NDS and my M3... unfortunately I always seem to forget that you can often save a card from corruption with chkdsk...

Back