Release Hotfix 5 - RC2. Last one before going final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly themes work fine, you just don't get one new feature; you don't lose anything, for sure. Plus all the new mmenu features.. so not sure how you're complaining, you've not lost anything :)

But nothing wrong with xfce, of course, I just take issue with the above ill-logic :)

You know me, Jeff - I can complain about anything ;-p

Fix those themes and I'll be back to loving minimenu again.

D.

...This was using XFCE (HF5 beta 2 btw...

You're using a beta version of an as-yet-unreleased HotFix, making this bug report irrelevant.
bug report on newest public beta is relevant, if no one will report bugs, how will they get fixed? :)

But he said he was using HF 5 beta 2, not the latest RC. That's what I meant. Sorry about that.

To be fair, I only updated to the latest HF beta to see if these issues were fixed. They're not. And yes, I've replaced the battery :)

I'm getting reasonable amounts of battery with the device "off", the only complaints are that it loses so much battery when in standby and that the clock stops when it's off.

D.

Certainly themes work fine, you just don't get one new feature; you don't lose anything, for sure. Plus all the new mmenu features.. so not sure how you're complaining, you've not lost anything :)

But nothing wrong with xfce, of course, I just take issue with the above ill-logic :)

You know me, Jeff - I can complain about anything ;-p

Fix those themes and I'll be back to loving minimenu again.

D.

I didn't make the themes, and they're not part of minimenu :)

You downloaded them somewhere, go find out who uploaded them and bug _that_ guy :)

I suppose I could add a config option 'force old themes to work, as best you can', that just _assumes_ the coordinates; it'd probably work most of the time, too, but would certainly look weird on some themes. (ie: if the theme has different spacing than the default one.)

jeff

You do know you can force a background in minimenu right?
I'm talking about all the cool backgrounds that were included with XFCE. The current ones included are a little boring IMO. I understand the space issue regarding the NAND so it is a delicate situation I'm sure. Couldn't we have a poll to see what two or three to include? And getting rid of Midori and some of the other bunk programs should compensate for this space too if it were to be included in the next release.

Just download the backgrounds (or random net images), drop them on SD, and set xfce to use them :) They don't have to come with the system :)

jeff

This has more to do with the fact that the pandora is using a full functional desktop OS while Android is a smartphone OS, which is designed around "freezing" applications to allow the CPU to turn off entirely, as much as possible. These ARM CPUs can be turned off entirely, idling at 0mhz, and a smartphone OS as well as it's devkits are built around it.

Power management on the Pandora can improve, but it will never really reach Android level for idle, but actual runtime will be much higher if both are watching movies or gaming nonstop. Suspend to RAM will be significant though.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't hold water. Maemo on the Nokia (spit! on them) was as close to a standard linux distro as you could get (pretty much Debian with a custom wm) and the Internet Tablets had the same power saving characteristics as my new 101, allowing for the smaller battery.

Also, taking into account the larger screen and bigger battery, Archos' runtime is pretty much in the Pandora ballpark, so operating system discrepancies seem to have only a minor effect.

I am aware of the driver issue, but nobody seems to do anything about that. I once asked if I could donate money towards its progress (not being a developer, that's pretty much the only option left to me), but noone ever replied.

Oh, and Craig, 50 seconds lag time for a handheld? That's just lame...

You do know you can force a background in minimenu right?
Any pointers on this, as I've tried following whats suggested in the minimenu options i.e wallpaper.png (of 800x480) placed in pandora/appdata/mmenu (aswell as other places) and nothing happens at all?

Also 40-50 secs is pretty fast enough for a full computer in your pocket imho. The wake up time from standby is also good and obviously the power saving will hopefully get figured out when enough folk with the know how get more involved with WizardStans work so far.

No worries (you're problem is you were probably copying to the memory card and not the file system)

open a terminal (copy paste each line then hit enter)

cd /pandora/appdata

(go to file system/pandora/appdata to check mmenu folder doesn't exist in a file manager. If doesn't exist do)

mkdir mmenu

chown -R Your_Pandora_UserName /pandora/appdata/mmenu

Then copy a 800 x 600 png to that directory and rename to wallpaper.png

:)

Paint in MS or GIMP in linux should be able to save any picture as a png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on HF5 RC2 with no overclocking and I've been seeing miscellaneous problems pop in and out no matter what hotfix I'm using. It started out perfectly the first day but now I'm seeing issues again after about a day later that include:

1. Shutdown freezing sometimes. Not as bad as before where I had to attempt shutdown, freeze, force restart, and repeat once or twice.

2. Sound icon in the task tray glitching with bars on top of it similar to a wifi icon on its side.

3. Nubs stopped working even after three restarts. It works in the Pandora input tester though. I later found out that if you go to the nubs settings and choose restore default settings, the nubs start working again but don't work in the tester o_O. So apparently settings can randomly change as far as nubs are concerned. I've seen the "Up" direction not working at one point, but now I know to try restoring the nubs settings if I see it again.

4. I know sleep is still being worked on, but when I put the Pandora to sleep while I was playing on the gpSP, the sound starts to stutter and I can still hear the game running (and hear myself dying!). Don't know if that's just the way gpSP was built or if it's just the way the OS works right now.

5. Can't open any apps afer wake-up seems to be fixed in this RC2.

Anyone else experiencing these problems? I know a friend of mine gets #2 on his RC2 Pandora.

Well that's my bug report. Hope it helps!

2. Sound icon in the task tray glitching with bars on top of it similar to a wifi icon on its side.
I've had that icon snafu ever since I installed the community codec I think, even on HF4. Either way, it's ugly, but it works, even though I only use the hardware volume and never use that icon for volume control. I guess that's one of those ignorable things.

4. I know sleep is still being worked on, but when I put the Pandora to sleep while I was playing on the gpSP, the sound starts to stutter and I can still hear the game running (and hear myself dying!). Don't know if that's just the way gpSP was built or if it's just the way the OS works right now.
Remember, "sleep" right now, is just "super slow clock speed along with some things turned off, such as the screen", and not really suspended execution at the CPU level. I'm able to play MP3s *almost* flawlessly while in sleep mode. Just the occasional glitch (probably buffer underruns).

I know a friend of mine gets #2 on his RC2 Pandora.
I rarely use mine in the bathroom. :lol: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice in this hotfix that firefox seems to crash more often and then it wont let me mount any PND's so I have to restart. Reflashed this morning and same issue

Well, my Pandora boots into MiniMenu in about 25 - 30 seconds... my WinMobile smartphone boots about 1 minute :D
Wait, what? You spend money on a winmobile smartphone? The only winmobile I've seen so far were partially forced upon us by some company that makes win mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back