Homeworld Port

basicmark

Still Fresh
I said a while ago now that I was working on porting homeworld and finally managed to get it running :D.

Here's a screen shot (taken with a vnc client):
http://yfrog.com/53homeworldonbeaglep

Up to date info can be found on this thread:
http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/sourcefo...mp;p=1470#p1470

If I can test my fixes to get around the assembly code using mesa and they work then I'll look into nanoGL so I can use the SGX, if not then I'll have to jump straight into nanoGL work. Unfortunately HW uses glBegin/glEnd a lot so I hope that's covered :unsure: .

Last edited by a moderator:
'linuxhacker' said:
I said a while ago now that I was working on porting homeworld and finally managed to get it running :D

If I can test my fixes to get around the assembly code using mesa and they work then I'll look into nanoGL so I can use the SGX, if not then I'll have to jump straight into nanoGL work. Unfortunately HW uses glBegin/glEnd a lot so I hope that's covered :unsure: .
Excellent - really looking forward to this one :)

linuxhacker said:
interesting. If you want my current nanogl source/compiled lib I would be happy to provide it, send a PM. Just remember its not a full opengl implementation. Just enough to run the quakes.
Also there another user (adventus) trying to implement opengl using ogles 2.0.

I'm afraid I have no constructive comments other than that I can't wait to play it. :) Homeworld is an incredible game I haven't been able to play well since I quit using Windows, so I really appreciate your work on this.

@clean3d you realise it runs fine in wine don't you

awesome port! I don't remember ever seeing planets messed up like that in wine with the SW rederer ... must be a bug in the linux version...

'cb88' said:
@Clean3d you realise it runs fine in wine don't you
Don't say that, he/she might not continue the porting ;)

That's a game that I've always had interest in, but for some reason or another never tried.
Good luck and thanks for letting us know about it :)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys :).

Homeworld was already ported to Linux when I started, and someone else since then has also ported it to x86_64 Linux. The biggest hurdle was the assembly in the effects generation code, but you can read all my ramblings about that in the thread link at the top :p

Thanks for the offer Pickle I'll definitely take you up on that once I've cleaned up and checked in my current mods to Homeworld.

@cb88: Last I tried the sound was not working well in WINE. If you've got some suggestions I'd love to hear them.

WINE doesn't let me play this on the Pandora anyway. :p

I was just pointing out there isn't any reason you couldn't run it afaik if you using Linux

sound works for me ...

have you ran winconfig and set the sound driver? if it crashes when you click the sound tab or won't play the test beep thier is probably a problem with your sound setup or it has been compiled without sound support or something like that

I'll try it out on wine 1.1.17 later today if i get a chance

Don't worry I know wine can't feasibly be ported and why... and the linux version of homeworld has importance as well since homeworld only works well in SW mode for me in wine probably because of my old geforce 2 graphics card dunno

I still have a GeForce 2 MX 400! It's not *that* old - I mean, it has XP and Linux drivers.

But I also have a 6600, 7800, 7900, and 8800, so... meh. :p

yeah its a MX 400 as well 64mb version not 32...

or would you rather i test on my mach64 card that I had to build the drm manually for?

'cb88' said:
yeah its a MX 400 as well 64mb version not 32...

Yep. Those were solid cards - very nice DX7 performance. I remember playing Dungeon Siege and thinking how lucky I was not to have a crummy GeForce 3. :lol: Mine was 64MB, too.

I played Homeworld on my GeForce 2, so I'm sure it'll run great on the Pandora, if someone can finish the porting. :)

In fact nanoGL was developed for quake, and there is a very big probability that it won't work with your project. I think it could be your biggest problem, porting some non openGL code to the pandora is very easy, but when it come to openGL it's another thing.

CODE
----------------------------------------------------------------------
r682 | markunderwood | 2009-04-26 21:52:42 +0100 (Sun, 26 Apr 2009)

Add ARM support to Homeworld

Looks like some progress is being done :)

'Laurent' said:
CODE
r682 | markunderwood | 2009-04-26 21:52:42 +0100 (Sun, 26 Apr 2009)

Add ARM support to Homeworld
Looks like some progress is being done :)

Indeed, basicmark posted this yesterday:

ARM build fixes checked in. Tested build for x86 and ARM. Fixed build problem when not building with generic etgFunctionCall.

nanoGL investigation next (after sleep ;)).

Most exciting porting project of them all I reckon for the pandora. Can't wait!!!

Blatant gravedigging here, but there are no more recent threads about this and reviving the original thread keeps everything in one place (no point making a new thread for the same thing).

Has there been any more progress on this guys? Seems like it was quite vibrant and then suddenly died out.

Back