HOMEBREW SUBMISSION/VOTING THREAD

Which is your favourite?

• Total voters

You must be playing a different game. Snowman has a ridiculous amount of levels!!
It crashes after the first one for me, so I assumed that was it. I'm using the PND in the first post. I guess it DOES crash after all then, but it lets me complete a level first...
Don't use the PND, use the zip file, extract it to your memory card then double click/tap the .sh file.

I wouldn't right Snowman off that quickly, it's my fave game in the competition and is bloody fun to play. I hope Ziz gets a working PND soon as I think the fact it crashes in PND format is putting people off enjoying one of the best games in the competition!

You must be playing a different game. Snowman has a ridiculous amount of levels!!
It crashes after the first one for me, so I assumed that was it. I'm using the PND in the first post. I guess it DOES crash after all then, but it lets me complete a level first...
Don't use the PND, use the zip file, extract it to your memory card then double click/tap the .sh file.

Wait, that's all I have to do? Why didn't someone just say that? From the comments in this thread, I got the impression that .sh files could only be launched from within terminals. :rolleyes:

So basically, they're just like .exe files in Windows.

Okay, I played through a few levels of Snowman. Not bad, not bad. One thing I don't really like is that while new levels are "saved", it's not really practical; if you start at the beginning, later levels are much easier because you gain mass, so you pretty much have to start at the beginning each time. Nevertheless, it's not a very large quibble; the game's pretty good. Greyout definitely remains my favourite, though. :p

Also, I tried pressing "F" to make "Robo Hell" fullscreen. All it does it make the rest of the screen black. The size of the window doesn't change.

P.S. Another note on Raedr: what's the point of having levels if you go back to level 1 every time you're killed? Proper way to handle that would be to reset points to 0, but allow the player to continue at the same level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, I tried pressing "F" to make "Robo Hell" fullscreen. All it does it make the rest of the screen black. The size of the window doesn't change.

Ah, that bug still there is it? My bad

P.S. Another note on Raedr: what's the point of having levels if you go back to level 1 every time you're killed? Proper way to handle that would be to reset points to 0, but allow the player to continue at the same level.

Thanks for that suggestion, as well as for your old ones and Grusos, I'll implement those changes and upload a new .pnd.

Hm, this pnd-bug is rly shitty. :-\

I dont know, whether this is the right place to ask, but, do anybody know, whether it is not a good idea to write to my own game-folders? I create a new file with 8 Byte size for saving the game progress. Shouldn't I do this? Should I put a empty dummy to the pnd file? I am RLY out of ideas :(

Edit: I changed the behaviour of my pnd-file. Now the file still exists. Would be nice to know, whether it works.

Edit2: aTc tested my idead. Doesn't work. Now I try neither to load nor to save the level progress to show, whether the problem is there.

Hit up the Dev section on these forums for help, I'm sure someone can help there :)

Also can the dev here rip FoxBlocks post and MrZs and create a spoiler like I've done for the other guys on the first post? Could you also clear some of the crap posts on here (like this one) to tidy it up a bit.

Apparentally I've ran out of the amount of media files im allowed to post :p

With mcobit's great help in #openpandora now the PND file should work. :D

I didn't know, that I am not allowed to create or change files. <_<

greetings, Ziz

@richiz: If it works at your pandora, would you like to edit your first post, that it is not necessary to use the zip file now? Thanks.

Wait, that's all I have to do? Why didn't someone just say that? From the comments in this thread, I got the impression that .sh files could only be launched from within terminals. :rolleyes:

So basically, they're just like .exe files in Windows.
More like .bat files actually ;) They contain command line instructions that among other things, launch the executable. Whether or not you can double click them depends on whether permissions are set to allow that; TBH I didn't even try it because running ./scriptname.sh 'just works'. It's a method you should remember for later.

^ Generally, permission is not enough in some cases. You also need to designate the program that handles the contents of the file by adding a "#!/path/to/program" to the beginning of the file. For example if your script was written for bash you'd add "#!/bin/bash" to the beginning of your script. That way when the script is executed, the system knows what program to use to run it, in this case bash.

EDIT: Of course in this case this information is not needed. Carry on.

^ Little educational tangents are always good. :)

Back to the comp then. I'm going to post it on Pandorapress shortly, so I've updated the OP to make things clearer. For all games to have an equal chance at votes, they will need at least one vid and one screenshot in the OP. So devs, get to work on your marketing skills. ;)

I'll take any screenshots I can, but my script doesn't work in all games.

(Richiz, I had to removed the tags because we hit the limit with embedded vids in a post!).

EDIT: Tried it again... you know, it's really easy to get into an unwinnable position. Just push that first rock to the right, and you block off the passage and have to die. The game crashed when I pressed the number "2" to go to level 2. There was also one time when I jumped on an alien, but it somehow killed me instead, and then the game just didn't move; the screen stayed focused on the alien while it destroyed something or other.

Yes it can be easy to get in an unwinnable position - especially if you die. Don't let the girls fall in a hole! However, there are three different ways (somewhat difficult/tricky, admittedly) to get out of the position you mentioned with that rock! There is one direct way to get past it (you CAN walk through walls afterall! well, past small rocks at least), and there are two other entrances to the cave. (It's better to climb carefully over the rock and don't get in that position, but it can be tricky to do that.) It sounds like you didn't meet one of the girls yet.

There is something wrong with the dodgy level switching. It worked for me when I first did it, but now I'm getting some error with SDL audio. I'll try to fix that, however the other 2 levels are only good for playing/practising they're not really proper levels. Level 1 is large, it's plenty challenge enough and I ran out of time! Should have created an easier 'level 0' perhaps.

When you die in this game you have to press 'q' to restart, or it continues to show your place of demise. I'll add that important info to the webpage! Fighting the monsters isn't easy, they often need more than one blow to the head or a really strong one. When you (or a monster) dies, your body vanishes but head remains, that is what the Wumpus was continuing to destroy! You can zoom in to confrim this. The game is playable, I can rescue three or more girls of the ten girls in a game (if I'm careful!), but I guess it has a steep learning curve.

Rescue - webpage with hints, controls, etc

Edit:

There is now a PC-Linux (x86) build on my webpage too, with (generated) C source included in the tgz, in case it doesn't work for you. Hopefully the binary would work with any recent Linux distro. I'll attempt a windows build at some point, but it might take a few days. All my published source code is in the public domain.

So I was one of the people turned off by Snowman's one level and exit .PND

What is the story with this now, is there a good .PND to download?

Would consider switching my votes around once I get it working.

Yeah, it should work now! The old Link or http://repo.openpandora.org! :)

Raedr is a lot more playable now! I think I'll switch my votes around, as well. ;)

You know, another neat thing to add might be the ability to move from side to side on the screen (whether you're on the ground or in the air). That will allow the player to adjust jumps while in the air, so that it's not based so much on memorization (when the screen gets moving really fast, it can be hard to see what's coming up ahead, so your jumps are sometimes based more on memorization than on fast reflexes).

P.S. Tallied up the scores so far, out of interest:

Wars Commando - 50

Greyout - 39

Snowman - 27

Rescue - 7

Raedr - 7

Robo Hell - 2

Back