Homebrew Pandora Mock-up

cosam

Website
www.cosam.org
I knocked up a quick mock-up of the Pandora to visualise a couple of mods I'm thinking of making when the real thing arrives. On the off-chance that others would find it useful, I thought I'd post the results. I've made a colour version I intend to print on card, but here's a photo of my ink-saving (and rather flimsy) paper prototype.

mockup.jpg

It's made from two nets which look like this:

pandora-net1.png
pandora-net2.png

Those so inclined can download the PDF version [43KB] or replace the .pdf extension with .vsd for the original (Visio) drawings [188KB].

Although the size of the device itself and the screen should be correct, I can't vouch for any other dimensions as they're eyeballed from the available renders.

Have fun,

Steve

that is really cool!! i remember some youtube vids of something like this, i will definitely try and make one!!

thanks!

I think some others have done this, but you seem to have actually accounted for the size of the screen and all that, so great job!

Just printed it on some glossy photo paper, looks great! I accidentally put a blank piece of paper on top of one of the pages when it was finished, which was not a good idea since it hadn't dried yet! So there's some small smudges on it, but it's okay because they're only on the bottom where the battery is.

Cool Mockup, interesting papercraft sheet. :)

I also have a full 1:1 Mockup, made out of Paper, not very beautiful but with the correct measurements and more important with the right thickness. (10mm the lid and 17mm the case)
My mockup is filled with thick Corrugated fiberboard and very stiff and rigid, you can push it hard without Problems. :)
It shouldn't be a problem to build your mockup around a solid "cardboard core" to. :)

Just built this mockup (just the white one to save ink), and it's very nice. I went a bit wrong around the hinges (there's none), but it's good to see its size, and the gaming controls really do fit perfectly. The keyboard is a lot more usable that I thought based on its size.

mockup.jpg

Wow, that's a nice looking pandora... WHY DOESN'T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT? :eek:

Photo10.jpg

[/Simpsons Reference]

Last edited by a moderator:
Defo said:

Wow, that's a nice looking pandora... WHY DOESN'T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT? :eek:

[/Simpsons Reference]

Yours is...ART!

Oh hey, that's from when the show was still good

Anyway, this is really awesome, you sure do have a lot of time on your hands

Finally got the colour version made:

mockup2.jpg

I took fusion_power's advice and built it around a cardboard core which not only stiffens the whole thing up but also gives you something solid to glue onto.

As for the hinge, the paper tabs just don't cut it. I instead rolled up a paper tube that's an interference fit with the curved bits and fed that through both parts to join them together. Works pretty well.

SteveM said:
Finally got the colour version made:
I took fusion_power's advice and built it around a cardboard core which not only stiffens the whole thing up but also gives you something solid to glue onto.

As for the hinge, the paper tabs just don't cut it. I instead rolled up a paper tube that's an interference fit with the curved bits and fed that through both parts to join them together. Works pretty well.

Looks good! when will you be taking pre-orders? :p

Great, now the Pandora has its own cargo cult. ;)
Cargo cults tend to appear among people who covet this desired equipment but are unable to obtain it easily through trade or established traditions. Given their relative isolation, the cult participants generally have little knowledge of modern manufacturing and are liable to be skeptical about Western explanations. Instead, symbols some associate with Christianity and modern Western society often tend to be incorporated into their rituals as magical artifacts. Across cultural differences and large geographic areas, there have been instances of the movements organizing independently. Famous examples of cargo cult activity include the setting up of mock airstrips, airports, offices, and dining rooms, as well as the fetishization and attempted construction of Western goods, such as radios made of coconuts and straw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Back