History lessons

That presentational style did annoy the tits off me to begin with, and it does gloss over pretty much everything, which if you happen to know anything about already is a little irritating, but actually it's a good summary for stuff you didn't already know about.

I like this mat-pat way of doing history... TONS of info, and never boring... like a birdeye view of history.

That presentational style did annoy the tits off me to begin with, and it does gloss over pretty much everything, which if you happen to know anything about already is a little irritating, but actually it's a good summary for stuff you didn't already know about.
Pretty much sums it up for me too, brought my feelings back when the clone wars movie aired on tv (not the cgi one), the whole time I had the feeling the fast forward button got stuck down at the TV station.

I like this mat-pat way of doing history... TONS of info, and never boring... like a birdeye view of history.
How much do you actually remember from that ton ? To me thats pretty much like fast food for the brain: fast in, fast out, no lasting effect.

Edit: nevertheless, interesting to watch, thanks for sharing

How much do you actually remember from that ton ? To me thats pretty much like fast food for the brain: fast in, fast out, no lasting effect
Nothing, to be honest. The capital changed too much under too many different circunstances to remember. The one thing I learned: What the shogun was, and how they got their power. I never understood the power struggle, until the video.
Ideas about Japan that I had are reaffirmed, eventhough these ideas are the opposite of what was presented. And I feel more comfortable about my knowledge about Japan, eventhough I learned not a 10% of what was presented...
Birds eye view, also means that you need to go more in depth, slower paced, to learn.
Still: Lots of time was spend to investigate facts, put them on a timeline, and create that video...

Nothing, to be honest. The capital changed too much under too many different circunstances to remember. The one thing I learned: What the shogun was, and how they got their power. I never understood the power struggle, until the video.
Ideas about Japan that I had are reaffirmed, eventhough these ideas are the opposite of what was presented. And I feel more comfortable about my knowledge about Japan, eventhough I learned not a 10% of what was presented...
Birds eye view, also means that you need to go more in depth, slower paced, to learn.
Still: Lots of time was spend to investigate facts, put them on a timeline, and create that video...
So you did get something out of it (besides the entertainment), nice. But I guess the best solution would be to make such a video ourselfs, this should leave a lot more behind in our brain, then just consuming it, just one of my teachers always said "I recommend doing cheat slips for the next test, serveral, just forget to take them with you to school..."

Yeah, exactly. I did something like that to pass my school exams, writing down three or four sides of compressed notes off two years of a course. Haven't done that for years though, as I only do it to learn stuff that doesn't interest me implicitly.

Also... they skim on the fact that the islands they populated were already inhabited and they killed of the natives... like Europeans did, or U.S&A did...

Back