Hi-score Saving

GA01

Website
Visit site
Are there any emulators available that support hi-score saving after the GP32 has been switched off.

:)

Have you ever heard of SRAM ? It is a system to save data constantly that has been used by most cartridge-operating consoles and handhelds such as snes, nes or Gameboy. Most emulators on the GP32 support it, but not all games had SRAM support. But you can always, anytime, use savestates in most emus.

Fishbong posted on Apr 1 2005 at 02:33 PM said:
Have you ever heard of SRAM ? It is a system to save data constantly that has been used by most cartridge-operating consoles and handhelds such as snes, nes or Gameboy. Most emulators on the GP32 support it, but not all games had SRAM support. But you can always, anytime, use savestates in most emus.
SRAM is not the system, its the SRAM,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with savestates (have never used them), but aren't they used for saving certain parts of the game which can then be restored at a later date. Is it not possible for a game to save the score automatically (like in Mame). I would thought this to be possible but only if the emulator has been designed to do this.

:)

aapje89 posted on Apr 1 2005 at 04:46 PM said:
Fishbong posted on Apr 1 2005 at 02:33 PM said:
SRAM is not the system, its the SRAM,
OOps, of course. SRAM is the hardware used in that system.

@GA01: If you have problems with such trivial things as savestates, the GP32 is no good for you. But i´m sure you will be able to find out about them very quickly, if you try it once. It works very similar to PC emulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you complete a game or get a game over your hi-score appears in a hi-score table (depending on the game). If you then perform a save state you can turn the GP32, turn it back on, load the save state and voila, you're right back where you left off, score in the hi-score table ready to start a new game. In order to keep your scores in the game you have to perform a save state before you turn the GP32 off again and load the state when you turn it back on again.

I had this idea a while ago that I posted about but it got ignored.

Why not implement a function into an emulator so that whenever you change a rom or exit the emulator, it saves the state to SMC, then next time you load that rom it picks up exactly where you left off. I think this would be very handy in most emu's to save high scores...... anyone agree?

It would be nice to be able to choose if this is enabled or not, and there would be an option to reset rom to boot the game from scratch if desired.

Back