Hi All!

vossy

Still Fresh
Hi guys,
Ive been reading the forum for a few weeks now and thought id finally say hello as i just ordered my gp2x with 1gig sd card from gp2x.co.uk
I only found out about the gp2x a few weeks ago after searching on google for dreamcast emulators. The link took me to the gp2x.co.uk website and i was hooked straight away.
I had never heard of the gp32/gp2x before and i am pretty much new to emulators and dont have a clue about developing! So im bound to have a few problems along the way but i wont be continuously bugging you all with them.
I use a ibook laptop running 0SX so if there are any issues with combatabillity (ive read of a few on here) that you know of, any guidance would be extremely appreciated!

Only problem i have so far, is that on the page where you can download the applications/emulators etc it just loads a page of text rather than downloading a file. Would this have something to do with me using 'Safari'?

And on the sd card combatability thread a few people mention an 'integral' card, is this the 1gig card that gp2x.co.uk sell with the unit for £45? Making it safe for updating the firmware?

Cant wait for it to arrive so i can start playing around on it!

Thanks alot
Leo

hey leo!

yeah, the card from gp2x.co.uk is a 1gig integral. so far i've had no problems with it at all. Haven't tried a firmware flash yet though. just make sure you don't put an empty, unformatted card into your 2X then switch it on.

hope you enjoy your 2X when it arrives and don't hesitate to ask if you run into any fresh problems (I can't help with that web page displaying im afraid).

Alex

vossy posted on Dec 30 2005 at 07:49 PM said:
Hi guys,
Ive been reading the forum for a few weeks now and thought id finally say hello as i just ordered my gp2x with 1gig sd card from gp2x.co.uk
I only found out about the gp2x a few weeks ago after searching on google for dreamcast emulators. The link took me to the gp2x.co.uk website and i was hooked straight away.
I had never heard of the gp32/gp2x before and i am pretty much new to emulators and dont have a clue about developing! So im bound to have a few problems along the way but i wont be continuously bugging you all with them.
I use a ibook laptop running 0SX so if there are any issues with combatabillity (ive read of a few on here) that you know of, any guidance would be extremely appreciated!

Only problem i have so far, is that on the page where you can download the applications/emulators etc it just loads a page of text rather than downloading a file. Would this have something to do with me using 'Safari'?

And on the sd card combatability thread a few people mention an 'integral' card, is this the 1gig card that gp2x.co.uk sell with the unit for £45? Making it safe for updating the firmware?

Cant wait for it to arrive so i can start playing around on it!

Thanks alot
Leo
welcome to the lunatic asylum known as gp32x

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

Yes, try using Firefox (I do).

Wait 'till you play Kid Chameleon on DrMDx ... you will shed joyous tears of blood! :D

I'm using safari now and I don't have that problem at all.

Perhaps right click (ctrl click) on 'download here' link before the page gets a chance to refresh?

Oh, and welcome.

Ive got firefox somewhere on here, ill have to have a look for it. i tried the ctrl click but it just downloads an index file..?
Just this second ordered a Ansmann Photocam3 charger and a pack of Ansmann 2600mah digital batteries! Should do the job.

that one just worked!
i just downloaded a few things using IE and i still sometimes got the text.sometimes it works,sometimes it dosent.
ill try and find one that dosent work for me then see if it works for others

Integral is the company that makes the card, it's not a reference to a special quality the card has.

As it happens, Integral is one of the slightly cheaper brands. Pricestorm.com will do the Integral 1gig for £41. I ordered a Kingston high-speed SD card from them for £45 (edit- it's gone up to £50 now. Some January sale that was!!)

taras posted on Dec 30 2005 at 10:37 PM said:
Integral is the company that makes the card, it's not a reference to a special quality the card has.

As it happens, Integral is one of the slightly cheaper brands. Pricestorm.com will do the Integral 1gig for £41. I ordered a Kingston high-speed SD card from them for £45 (edit- it's gone up to £50 now. Some January sale that was!!)

ahh.i assumed they meant integral meant the one they got with the unit.
Does anyone know what make you get when ordering from gp2x.co.uk?
I also read someone got a card reader with theirs, does this always happen or was this just a packing error?

I had my gp32 in february last year. a month or so before that i remember looking up emulators, i didnt know what they were! The july previous was the time i first got my first ever pc! I had to build it myself though, and i had to learn how to aswell. after a lot of trial and error its now great

after trying to get a supergun and a copy of metal slug, i happened to stumble across a thing called mame...

and then its all started from there..

the memory and cpu grew, the controllers got more vivid and eventually i got a whole era of gaming in my room!
Now i got this massive collection!

THEN i stumbled across the gp32. i looked for reviews, stumbled across gbax.com (now renamed gp2x.co.uk) after that i ordered it.

After a lot of trial and error, and finding a wonderful program called drmd.. i wanted to know mre about what the gp32 can do..

So i got into lots of things like updating firmwares, overclocking, trying to get around file tpyes etc
through WANTING and HAVING to do this to play videos and games, i became rather knowlegable about this kind of thing. And i found that metal slug is impossible for the gp32..

And so then the gp2x was announced!
So i quickly got one of them! and opened it on christmas day!

Now its a case of trial and error again. the only thing i can say to you about being a new owner of this mad console (and member of this mad forum) is that learn to use it for the stuff YOU want to use it for!

If you want two 700mb films on there, but only got a 1gig card... go straight to google and do hours of searching to get the info you want. Only then you can truely understand the gp2x. To alot of other people the 2x and the 32 can be OVERLY complicated! some people go "but my video doesnt play!!! WAAHHH!!!"

I go "id didnt work.. oh well, i will try again, its not like its costing me anything anyways!"

I totally love the gp2x, it amazes everyone! Its also really cool to hear people say "Yeah, i got 15 psp games hahah" and then you can think to yourself "well, i got about 200,000 games and ALL of them are good!"

the 2x is amazing, get a card reader, get broadband if you dont have it, get a crappy little pc to run internet if it dont run on ur mac, and download!!!

Like the digi box for tv, a gp2x is a one off payment, everything else can be free! so go ahead and have a tonne more fun than most others! Just remember to keep on trying even though things may seem a litte complicated.
But remember to use google and forums FIRST before going on a forum and asking "drmd cant find my roms!" . Not just becuse it annoys people, but its better to learn for yourself, and figure it out. after a while it will become second nature. like if u try a game and it dont work, u will have the experience to go and sort it out rather than just get annoyed with it.

Be patient, do the work and the 2x will serve you well! It does exctly what u want it to do, if ur exepecting drag drop and play with most things though, dont get annoyed, just try again :)

Ah the love of the 2x! makes me wanna cry!

ALso, integral cards are the ones i have, i go to www.svp.co.uk to get mine only cost me £36.19 for one! Which is a STEAL!

I also use uniross 2500mah batteries, get them from a battery shop on ebay! I got a one pack for £6.49. cant go wrong!

The cards are the Intergral brand. They are good quality, although they randomly send us betweem 66x and 99x cards. Not noticed a difference though.

vossy posted on Dec 30 2005 at 02:49 PM said:
I use Safari and this sometimes happens to me as well. The solution is when you see "your download should start within 5 seconds. If it does not, click here," right-click on "click here" and select download linked file.

Back