Hexen32

A600

Certified Guru
And here is Hexen32.

The readme:

Code:
Hexen32 ported by A600 using chui's SDL libraries 

Copy all files and folders included in the zip to /gpmm/ (use hexen+.fxe if you have a BLU+)

Free wads for Hexen can be downloaded here:
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/levels/hexen/

Wads must be copied to gpmm/hexen. Don't use the 1.0 version of the full game (20.128.392 bytes)
because there are some problems with it. Use instead 1.1 or 1.2 (20.083.672 bytes) versions.

There are 8 levels of gamma correction and 10 levels of brightness. (Video options menu)

The settings for the selector menu are stored in gpmm/hexen/cfg/wads.cfg. DON'T DELETE THIS FILE.
The syntax is very easy:

[name displayed] = [commandline options]

For example, the wads.cfg included:

#Hexen wads
Hexen = 
Death Kings of the Dark Citadel = -file hexdd.wad
Caldera = -file caldera.wad
Centromere = -file cent092b.wad
Chuxen: Beyond Hexen = -file chuxen.wad
HexQuake = -file hexquake.wad
The Dark Portal = -file drkportl.wad
Undermountain = -file black.wad -gpspeed 156

You can choose the clockspeed with the command -gpspeed. Supported values are:
60  66  80  100  133  144  156  160  164  166
If you type a wrong value or don't use it, the clockspeed is set to 133

If the wads.cfg has only one entry, the menu isn't displayed:

#Hexen wads
Hexen = 

CONTROLS:

[UP]    Move Forward / Navigate Menu
[SELECT]+[UP]  	Look Up
[SELECT]+[RSHOULDER]+[UP]	Fly Up

[DOWN]    Move Backward / Navigate Menu
[SELECT]+[DOWN]  	Look Down
[SELECT]+[RSHOULDER]+[DOWN]	Fly Down

[LEFT]    Turn Left
[SELECT]+[LEFT]  	Select Previous Weapon
[SELECT]+[RSHOULDER]+[LEFT]	Select Previous Inv. Item

[RIGHT]    Turn Right	
[SELECT]+[RIGHT]  Select Next Weapon
[SELECT]+[RSHOULDER]+[RIGHT]	Select Next Inv. Item

[A]    Use Weapon / Select Menu Option / [Y]
[SELECT]+[A]  	Map Follow mode on/off

[B]    Use Object (doors, button,...) / Back to the prev menu
[SELECT]+[B]  	Gamma Correction

[START]    Use Inv. Object / Select Menu Option / [ENTER] / [Y]
[SELECT]+[START]  [ESCAPE]
[SELECT]+[RSHOULDER]+[START]	Map

[LSHOULDER]  	Turn always strafe on/off
[SELECT]+[LSHOULDER]  Turn always run on/off
[SELECT]+[RSHOULDER]+[LSHOULDER] Look forward (center view)

[RSHOULDER]  	Jump

-A600-

Download

Some Hexen32

hexen1.png

hexen2.png

hexen3.png

hexen4.png

hexen5.png

hexen6.png

and Strife32 screenshots

strife1.png

strife3.png

strife4.png

strife5.png

too bad i'm at work and cannot test this so i'll ask

1. full speed?
2. sound?

Thanks. I love Hexen and Heretic, i've never played Strife, will have to research it and see if there is a shareware available somewhere to try.

Angel posted on Dec 1 2005 at 02:18 PM said:
too bad i'm at work and cannot test this so i'll ask

1. full speed?
2. sound?

Thanks. I love Hexen and Heretic, i've never played Strife, will have to research it and see if there is a shareware available somewhere to try.

And there was me thinking you were leaving the scene as the GP32 was dead Angel ;)

I too am at work but judging by the clock settings I would imagine it's full speed easily.

Nice work A600.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope never said i was leaving, just saying the GP32 could probably be classified as a dead platform due to the GP2x.

I am wrong though, i never expected to see this stuff on the GP32.

superb! hexen is wicked, played it to death on the saturn!

a small question: i've got an old fps here (witchaven II), seems to run on one of the engines like doom, hexen or something like that. if you want me to send you the files on the disk for a look at, just ask ;)

xenon_soft posted on Dec 1 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
Totally great!!! :) I'm now enjoying it. Please, fix a problem with wads.cfg. If you only put first line, GP32 resets.

Last time I checked it, it worked but you're right, now it's broken. I'll fix it

a small question: i've got an old fps here (witchaven II), seems to run on one of the engines like doom, hexen or something like that. if you want me to send you the files on the disk for a look at, just ask

Witchaven II uses a modified version of the build engine but there is no source code available. The only "build" games with sources are Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior (this one needs more than 8 MBs)

This is great, Thanks A600. :D

It`s hard to devote enough time to the GP32 and the GP2x with so much great stuff being released on both machines, But it`s all good. :D

Trooper

FYI: saves in Hexen work

Also, in level 2 of the shareware version there is something wrong where once you make it into the 3rd room on the right, there is a hidden area and an portal. when you go into the portal it resets your GP32.

If anybody else has had this problem let me know, maybe i have a bad shareware version. I don't know.

Angel posted on Dec 2 2005 at 02:01 PM said:
FYI: saves in Hexen work

Also, in level 2 of the shareware version there is something wrong where once you make it into the 3rd room on the right, there is a hidden area and an portal. when you go into the portal it resets your GP32.

If anybody else has had this problem let me know, maybe i have a bad shareware version. I don't know.

Please, upload a savegame before the portal (zip the gpmm/hexen/save/ folder) and post a link to the shareware version you're using.

Where is the hexen+.fxe for BLU+ described in the readme?
And how can i disable the original function of the SELCECT button (switching off backlight)?

THANKS for this great port!

I don't know why but I can't get this to work. I copied the files to GPMM and the wads to their directories but as soon as the file is selected it just resets. It does the same for both. What is wrong any ideas? I have tried shareware versions, full versions, nothing works.

Back