Hexbattle Released For Gp32 And Gp2x

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
--- This is a copy of Quiests original message at the GP32-Newssection :)

Hi there, folks!
I`m releasing a game for the GP32 and the GP2X.

The game is called HexBattle and it`s remake of the flash game Proximity Wars.

sshot_10_1.jpg
sshot_10_2.jpg

Goal of the game is to have more armies than your opponent.
Every turn you (or your opponent) receive an army with a random strength between 1 and 20.
The next army that is about to be placed is shown on the center bottom of the screen, next to the infos about your stats.
If you place your army next to one of your other armies, it strengthen them by 1, max strength is 20.
If you place it next to enemy armies, it takes control of them if the strength is higher, otherwise nothing happens.
The strength of each of your armies adds up to your total, and if it is higher than the total strength of your opponents army, you win!

Things to mention:
At the moment, the game features singleplayer (against a slightly dumb AI) and multiplayer (2ON1GP), and some lousy sounds I just took from Extender ^^ I hope I will find some more fitting ones for next release.
During beta testing, I experienced a lot of crashes, I hope I fixed them all, if you encounter any, tell me please!
Thanks a lot to the original author of this wonderful gameidea: Brian Cable!
The flashgame can be played here: http://www.break.com/index/proxwar.html

Here you can find the GP32 version.
And here the GP2X version.

That`s it, enjoy the game and leave some feedback!

This looks cool, Im downloading it right now.

EDIT: I was playing the entire game vs myself, and there were 3 spaces left all in the top left, and it crashed back to gp2x menu.

Very interesting game. I was missing this kind of strategy/domination games on the GP2X, and this one fits just the bill. Only issue that I noticed is that "Multi" and "Single" are switched, so if you want to play against an AI you actually have to select "Multiplayer". Other than that, feels like a great game :)

i think all sound should just be removed since being a board game it doesn't really need sound. the single and multi being switched i also noticed.

besides that really cool game and nice remake. good fun

Sounds belongs to a game. Or are you saying that when you move your guy in monopoly, no sound is made at all? :)

First of all, thanks ED, I thought one post in one of the two news section would be enough. :)

PSyMastR posted on Jul 4 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
This looks cool, Im downloading it right now.

EDIT: I was playing the entire game vs myself, and there were 3 spaces left all in the top left, and it crashed back to gp2x menu.

This may be a random Fenix crash, can`t do anything about it. Every game I played yesterday was completable, so I thinks it`s that. Happens to Extender and TMP2X, too.

I will fix single<>multi switch this evening and see what other improvements can be done.

Oh, if anyone comes up with some good winning strategies, please contact me, I could need some help with the AI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a good stragety, have the CPU attach its higher numbers to a space where you have 2 lower numbers, and use its low numbers on its pieces to strengthen their numbers.

Great port, Quiest. Played through a full solo game with no crashes, and also a full multi-game.

I noticed that sometimes the AI won't take advantage of "permanent" hexes, i.e. a single blank spot surrounded by filled hexes. These seem important hexes to snatch as they can't be 'turned' later on.

Yes that is one of my major strategies I need to implement in the AI, locking big armies, so they can`t be taken control of anymore. But this is going to be pretty hard, as the AI has to look for more than just the suroundings of on field...

Sometimes the AI also just places high armies at the complete left or right side of the field where they do not have anything to take over o_O really don`t know why this happens...

Oh, and, was anyone beaten by the AI yet?

Quiest posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:38 AM said:
Oh, and, was anyone beaten by the AI yet?

Me, not very good at these sort of games. I beat the AI on the flash version but lost on the GP2X version. Very nice so far - tranquil music + sound should be added (I can provide you with music if you like (created music)).

Neo Child posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
tranquil music + sound should be added (I can provide you with music if you like (created music)).

That sounds nice, but also an option for warlike music/effects to remind us these are men's lives we're playing with, not just hexes! ;)

Hehe, sure you can send me what music you want, if I like it, I`ll put it into the game. Same for sounds ^_^

After a few games I beat the A.I, you can eventually alter your strategy to defeat it.

Could there be a small delay before the cpu drops a piece though? it happens as soon as you make a move, which doesn't give you time to see what your move did if the CPU put's one next to yours.

Wonder how this would play if you threw in an extra green player ;)

Nice game, hadn't seen it before so I have no strategy for you but I did notice a slight bug (unless I skipped the readme, which has happened in the past).

Twice when placing hexes on the far right side My hex failed to change the colour of one of the opponents. I placed a red 20 hex in the top right corner and it failed to convert a blue 18 hex and again at the bottom of the right hand side, I placed a red 18 one line up, it converted one blue 16 above it but the blue 16 in the bottom right corner has stayed blue.

Also I think Vynx is right about there being a small delay before the AI drops a tile, saves searching for the new blue.

Thanks again for the game

Just tried to force the bug again to prove to myself I wasn't seeing things but no luck so far. It is not affected when there is only 1 hex to convert and I never managed to get 2 tiles with a gap in between so I could try it out again.

Vynx posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:33 PM said:
Could there be a small delay before the cpu drops a piece though? it happens as soon as you make a move, which doesn't give you time to see what your move did if the CPU put's one next to yours.

I already did a little delay before the cpu acts, as the AI is really fast (and therefor: dumb). Thought It would be enough, but, sure, I`ll add setting to the next release, where you can change players, victory condition, CPU delay, etc.
And I also thought about a three player mode, I will surely add it!

jislizard posted on Jul 5 2006 at 12:28 AM said:
Twice when placing hexes on the far right side My hex failed to change the colour of one of the opponents. I placed a red 20 hex in the top right corner and it failed to convert a blue 18 hex and again at the bottom of the right hand side, I placed a red 18 one line up, it converted one blue 16 above it but the blue 16 in the bottom right corner has stayed blue.
Oh, thanks for that, I will play a game against mayself and try to reconstruct it. It will hopefully be fixed in the next version.

I gave it a go today and I was enjoying it even though I was getting mauled by the ai heh :). Unfortunately my batteries ran out before the game finished though :(

Anyhoo thanks for making it

Quiest posted on Jul 4 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
Vynx posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:33 PM said:

I already did a little delay before the cpu acts, as the AI is really fast (and therefor: dumb). Thought It would be enough, but, sure, I`ll add setting to the next release, where you can change players, victory condition, CPU delay, etc.
And I also thought about a three player mode, I will surely add it!

You rock sir :)

One last thing - is the tiny bug fixed yet in the GP2X version (not sure if it's in the GP32 one), where Single player leads to multiplayer, and Multiplayer leads to single player? The menu options lead to the wrong game mode ;)

I just experienced the bug jislizard mentioned. Only happened on the very right-most hexes. I placed a higher hex and the opponent's one didn't change colour.

Back