Hexbattle For Gp32 And Gp2x

Quiest

I like turtles!
Hi there, folks!
I`m releasing a game for the GP32 and the GP2X.

The game is called HexBattle and it`s remake of the flash game Proximity Wars.

sshot_10_1.jpg
sshot_10_2.jpg

Goal of the game is to have more armies than your opponent.
Every turn you (or your opponent) receive an army with a random strength between 1 and 20.
The next army that is about to be placed is shown on the center bottom of the screen, next to the infos about your stats.
If you place your army next to one of your other armies, it strengthen them by 1, max strength is 20.
If you place it next to enemy armies, it takes control of them if the strength is higher, otherwise nothing happens.
The strength of each of your armies adds up to your total, and if it is higher than the total strength of your opponents army, you win!

Things to mention:
At the moment, the game features singleplayer (against a slightly dumb AI) and multiplayer (2ON1GP), and some lousy sounds I just took from Extender ^^ I hope I will find some more fitting ones for next release.
During beta testing, I experienced a lot of crashes, I hope I fixed them all, if you encounter any, tell me please!
Thanks a lot to the original author of this wonderful gameidea: Brian Cable!
The flashgame can be played here: http://www.break.com/index/proxwar.html

Here you can find the GP32 version.
And here the GP2X version.

That`s it, enjoy the game and leave some feedback!

Looks awsome! I'll give it a go now :)

Edit: That's pretty fun. Nice little time waster. Good work.

This looks like a great idea - I have just tried it though and could not seem to have a single player game. I chose the single option, but I still have to take turns for red and blue.

Requirements:
- 7MB of space on SD card.
- Double personality :D

Thanks for the release Quiest, I'll be sure to try it this evening!

- Alex

I have a couple of questions/ideas..
  • Can/could the hex numbered be made into 40 different skin able items?
  • Could a background be added so you can see it (and not the hex sqaures)
  • Can the hex squares be made transparant?
With a skinable game it could be themed so you could have for example:
  • star wars characters
  • Pokemon battles
  • Some thing like that nintendo battle game, advanced war..
  • The 'characters' done have to be characters they could be tanks, buildings etc etc

The would make for some good mooding by the comunity

What do you all think?

Quiest posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:29 PM said:
That`s it at enjoy the game and leave some feedback!

Yes of course.

The main issue is that the options got reversed. I'm getting the AI when with "multi" options instead of a "single".

The game itself is looking as it's preferring domination at edges. It's similar to some other game... :)

I like hexs and I'm impressed. There could be some music in a background. Anyway it's very good relase for GP2x! Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am marginally impressed. This is a good clone of a great clone of a bad clone of a great game (shades of "Snood"!). Try moving a bit farther up the family tree to find far better games to port.

Nickmon posted on Jul 4 2006 at 01:21 AM said:
I have a couple of questions/ideas..
  • Can/could the hex numbered be made into 40 different skin able items?
  • Could a background be added so you can see it (and not the hex sqaures)
  • Can the hex squares be made transparant?
With a skinable game it could be themed so you could have for example:
  • star wars characters
  • Pokemon battles
  • Some thing like that nintendo battle game, advanced war..
  • The 'characters' done have to be characters they could be tanks, buildings etc etc
The would make for some good mooding by the comunity

What do you all think?
Thought about that, too, could be easily possible, I will see what I can do for next release.

Radek posted on Jul 4 2006 at 03:09 AM said:
Quiest posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:29 PM said:
That`s it at enjoy the game and leave some feedback!

Yes of course.

The main issue is that the options got reversed. I'm getting the AI when with "multi" options instead of a "single".

The game itself is looking as it's preferring domination at edges. It's similar to some other game... :)

I like hexs and I'm impressed. There could be some music in a background. Anyway it's very good relase for GP2x! Thanks!!!
Oh, erm, yes, shit happens :D I noticed it to before going to sleep yesterday :) just a true and a false

Sparr posted on Jul 4 2006 at 05:48 AM said:
I am marginally impressed. This is a good clone of a great clone of a bad clone of a great game (shades of "Snood"!). Try moving a bit farther up the family tree to find far better games to port.
Wha? Proxwars isnt the original?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! A GP32 version of the addictive flash game I once encountered and used to play when a friend of mine asked me to make a Java exercise for her, they ask them in the uni and one had to do something with Proximity (and I played that instead of finishing the exercise, duh ;P). Lol..

But. What mistake happens in my GP32? I have the Feenix runtimes in GPSYS and all I get is: "FENIX RUNTIME ERROR 1. Error al abrir HBATTLE..dcb". At first I didn't knew where to put those files but I even put them in the root of GPMM to be sure it's not that. Still, I got the same mistake..

..maybe I'll try to play the game in my new GP2X, though currently my GP32 was working all day because I am also trying to finish coding something for it. I haven't touched my GP2X for 5 days but maybe I'll do so if I can't run the game in GP32.

But do you know what the error is? I got the same one for other recent Feenix games. Maybe I have to update my libs???

Put the Fenix runtime in GPSYS, the .FXE file in GPMM, and then inside the GPMM folder make another folder called NAME-OF-FXE. Put the .DCB and other files inside this folder.

- Alex

i play this one often on the GP2X - i've noticed that once in a while, if you place a hex adjacent to other hexes on the right side of the screen, the one that's already placed and touching the lower-right hand corner of the one you just placed will not be affected (captured or army-size changed).

i've also had this application crash back to the system menu twice in a row - both times i had placed a hex in the lower right-hand side of the screen as my very first move, and i had been in the process of winning both games when the crashes occurred.

Back