Help! Win2X Problem- I Think?

matt101

Still Fresh
OK, i'm new to these boards so first of all hi! But what i'm really here for is something odd happenning since i uninstalled win2x. after uninstalling it it went to the original frontend (or whatever its called) and displayed the date and for some reason it was set to 1970 (although it changed back to 2010 upon launching the win2x application-which didnt actually launch it brought me back to the orignal menu, but the date did change, after this i launched application again and it worked this time. then i tried restarting the wiz and noticed something else, when starting up it comes up with GPH screen then then the gp2x wiz screen. But after this it should come up with some writing saying "now loading" at the bottom, but it doesnt anymore. Then i noticed when i switched it off the now loading screen comes up just before it displays the gp2x wiz shutdown screen. So in short it's all jumbled up and i have no idea how to fix it, a fast reply would be much appreiated.

Thanks!

it seems the uninstallation made some errors. the only way i can think of is to reflash your firmware:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,316

you may also search the forum if others already have that problem and how they fixed it. i've never used win2x :)

about firmware flashing, people are having problems when using an SDHC card, using a normal SD card helped a lot. another note, just copy all the files of the firmware archive to your SD, not just the ones mentioned in the description ...

crow_riot said:
it seems the uninstallation made some errors. the only way i can think of is to reflash your firmware:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,316

you may also search the forum if others already have that problem and how they fixed it. i've never used win2x :)

about firmware flashing, people are having problems when using an SDHC card, using a normal SD card helped a lot. another note, just copy all the files of the firmware archive to your SD, not just the ones mentioned in the description ...

OK after reading countless replys on how the firmware v1.2.1 worked and didn't work for some people, i've decided to take the plunge and try it out-fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! My WIZ is completely fixed it is back to normal yay! now just need to put my backed up games and emulators back on! OH and note that i used an SDHC card and it worked absolutely fine i got all the screens, the firmware upgrade screen, then the one with the loading bar, then i got the firmware upgrade complete and it took less than 10 minutes! In case anyone needs to know the SDHC card make is a sandisk SDHC class 2 with 8GB of memory.

Thanks for the fast response, now i'm off to play some pokemon! (lol)

EDIT: after checking my wiz all my built in games were on there still incuding the flash ones too(I.Q jump etc.) is this normal?(my firmware is definitely 1.2.1 i checked)

good to help you out. the games are still on there, because they're included within the firmware, nothing wrong with that :)

I had exactly the same problem when I uninstalled Win2X last night.
I found out my 1GB SD (not SDHC) card with the 1.2.1 firmware on, and restarted the Wiz while holding the R button (as I've had to do too many times before) but this time the 'Firmware Upgraging' screen popped up for a split second then disappeared leaving me with a black screen. I left it like this for over half an hour (just in case the firmware was upgrading in the background). But all I get now is a black screen when starting the Wiz, I think it's bricked. :(

Does anybody (in the UK) have a cable for unbricking this I could borrow or could anybody unlock it for me? (The last time I held a soldering iron was in school more than 20 years ago!)

Cheers, Neil.

Reflashing again does nothing? Maybe try completely discharging the battery and then flash the firmware while it's plugged into your comp? Not sure if that would make any kind of difference though.

Thanks for the reply, I'll drain the battery overnight and try to reflash in the morning.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Neil

Edit: I just tried the above, still a black screen. (I left it for over an hour after turning it on and holding the R button) :(

Neil L said:
Thanks for the reply, I'll drain the battery overnight and try to reflash in the morning.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Neil

Edit: I just tried the above, still a black screen. (I left it for over an hour after turning it on and holding the R button) :(
Damn, sorry Neil, figured it would be worth a try. You should probably start a new thread asking for help on this as this one will probably get buried again. There's also that after sales place you can send your Wiz to. Not sure how much that would cost though. Some have used them so inquire about that in the new thread.

Hey Neil!

Answering to your post in the other thread:

You can change the GP2x cradle so it can be used with the Wiz, andymanone and relei have proven this on gp2x.de. But it probably won't help as I'm not quite sure if JTAG is working with the Wiz and/or with the JTAG software.
The Wiz can be unbricked with a much more simpler solution than JTAG. You need glossywhite's pack available here. Of course you need basic solder skills for this, too.

u9i said:
This might be a dumb question, but have you tried 1) redownloading the firmware, and 2) used a different SD card?

/Uni

Yes, I've already tried that on 3 different cards with a fresh download each time and still a black screen. :(
Cheers, Neil

I'll post this here, too.

Auto Scan doesn't seem to work anymore for me. The last few times I tried to use it, it sat at "Please Wait..." for 2 hours before I'd reboot the Wiz, and noticed the battery was getting pretty warm.

Fix it!

Back