Help! My Ubuntu Is Completely Wonkered

___

Advanced Member
Heya, i need help. I am almost at my wits end. I was running a perfectly stable 9.10 ubuntu system and accidently upgraded to 10.04 over the net which i earlier in my linux experiences learned might be lethal for some ubuntu systems so i always rather burn an image and just reinstall whenever i feel i need a more up to date distro.

Now my system doesn't let me log in. I can get to the login screen of gdm but when i try to start any session i get a black screen or get thrown back to the login screen. When i try to get to one of the consoles, i get a black screen so i can't even check the logs.

I tried booting a 10.10 cd but when it is done booting, i get garbled color crap on the screen and can't do jack. Same goes for akxstudio cd i got here. It boots and then gives me the same color artifacts, the exact same pattern too.

So i am sure my gfx card isn't screwed. It is an nvidia chipset that worked perfectly before.
I am starting to suspect that since all of the distros i tried including the livecds are ubuntu 10.10, that for some reason they can't cope with my graphics adapter.

I now successfully booted an older mint linux livecd so i can at least try to get x to load an svga adapter instead of the nv driver that seems to screw with my system.

Has anybody had a similar problem or heard of something like this before? I tried googling but don't even know what to search for. All i get is threads that deal with gdm failing after an upgrade but nothing about driver issues which it clearly must be. Please help!

EDIT: okay, i got back into the console now, after editing my xorg.conf and starting with the vesa driver.
I read a couple of logs and it seems my nvidia drivers are junk. I am upgrading the last packages now to see if i can then reinstall gdm and get a gnome session going.

EDIT: okay gdm was screwed up and the nvidia drivers wouldn't work either. So i now have my system back but can't find a decent working driver.

Honestly, fuck nvidia. I can't believe we still have to put up with this mess. Their drivers are better than that ati atrocity back in the day but they are still shit. Why can't they get over themselves and release the source already so someone who is not a complete retard can release an actual driver and not that joke of a proprietary one.

Have you tried the open-source nouveau driver? It's xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. It'll uninstall the binary drivers but it doesn't seem like you would mind.

Back