Help me making a to play list

#MeToo

I spend way more time collecting, organizing and setting up retro game environments than playing, But apparently this is what @elw3 is trying to avoid.

Reactions: rSl
SNES
Legend of the Mystical Ninja - unique mix of side-scrolling platformer and top-down action with minigames, humorous, tough but rewarding
Super Probotector/Contra 3 - tough as nails but oh so good, also mixing genres like the above, some of the best music on the SNES
Super the Empire Strikes Back - more for fans of Star Wars, requires high frustration tolerance; still proud I finished this as a kid
Secret of Mana
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Turtles in Time

N64
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire - not just for fans

Saturn
Panzer Dragoon Saga - I dearly love this RPG, cinematic, awesome soundtrack; true one-of-a-kind experience, sensawunda stronk
Dragon Force - unique strategy
Story of Thor 2 - similar to a Zelda game with a variety of melee combos; pleasing audio
Three Dirty Dwarves - unique Beat-em-up for up to three players, great humor, creative boss fights, good audio; this one was stolen from me in school :-(
Die Hard Arcade - tough but fun beat-em-up
Deep Fear - Resident Evil under Water
In the Hunt - side-scrolling shooter under water
Nights into Dreams - one of a kind game, reminds me more of a racing game than anything else
Guardian Heroes - another unique title, beat-em-up with RPG elements
The Crow - just kidding, this is as awful as it gets; have a look for a laugh
Also loved Virtua Cop. Maybe could be played using touch screen? But obviously light gun is the way to go for those.
Tomb Raider - also available on PS1; when it comes to immersion this is my favourite of the series

PS1
Nightmare Creatures - moody, horror themed 3rd person melee
Front Mission - round based military mech tactics with lots of dialogue and good amount of customization and lore to explore
I mostly played racing games on it: Gran Tourismo, V-Rally, Colin McRae Rally, WRC
Tomba! or Tombi, whatever it's called, and the successor, lovely 2,5 D platformers
Deathtrap Dungeon - hard as nails 3rd person hack n slash with cool levels
Discworld Noir - great adventure if you like Pratchett. On the other hand the "regular" Discworld games are tripe. Funny, yes, but very bad as actual adventure games unless you wanna play with a walkthrough.
Ghost in the Shell - cool 3rd person shooter piloting a Tachikoma. Walk on walls and ceilings!
Einhander - unique horizontal shooter where you use big ass weapons left behind by your enemies

GB
Mystic Quest - an action variant of Final Fantasy

GBA
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Sword of Mana

I remember loving an isometric 3 D ninja game on the PS1, where your guy had two different swords, one for stealing some aspect of an emey, and the other for actually hitting stuff with. Thought it was a goemon spin-off. Anybody know the name?

Last edited:
I remember loving an isometric 3 D ninja game on the PS1, where your guy had two different swords, one for stealing some aspect of an emey, and the other for actually hitting stuff with. Thought it was a goemon spin-off. Anybody know the name?

Tenchu?
Jackie Chan? (probably not but I quite like this one)

gba/nanoloop22
gba/nanoloop254
gba/nanoloop261
gba/nanoloop2792
gba/nanoloop
gba/ninja_cop
gba/pac-man_collection
gba/polygons
gba/powder118
gba/super_mario_advance_4_wii-u_e-reader_levels
gba/the_legend_of_zelda-the_minish_cap_uindependent
gb/bugs_bunny
gb/catrap
gb/kwirk
gb/lsdj
gb/super_mario_land_jue_v1.1_
nes/adventures_of_lolo_3_u
nes/batman
nes/bionic_commander
nes/blaster_master
nes/duck_tales2
nes/duck_tales
nes/famista
nes/gi_joe-atlantis_factor
nes/gi_joe
nes/jesus
nes/jordan_vs_bird
nes/journey_to_silius
nes/kabukiquantumfighter
nes/kickle_cubicle
nes/kid_icarus
nes/kirbys_adventure
nes/little_nemo-dream_master
nes/low_g_man
nes/maniac_m
nes/megaman2
nes/megaman3
nes/megaman5
nes/metal_storm
nes/mike_tysons_punch_out
nes/ninja_gaiden2
nes/ninja_gaiden3
nes/ninja_gaiden_u_
nes/princess_tomato
nes/probotector
nes/rcproam2
nes/rescue_rangers
nes/rushpal
nes/shadow_of_the_ninja
nes/skate_or_die2
nes/solar_jetman
nes/spy_hunter
nes/spy_vs_spy
nes/supermariobros1
nes/supermariobros2
nes/super_mario_brothers3
nes/tetris
nes/yo_noid
pcengine/coryoon-child_of_dragon_j
pcengine/ninjaspi
pcengine/ninjaspi
sega32x/berenstain_bears_the-camping_adventure_u_
sega32x/bimini_run_w_
sega32x/block_out_u_rev_01_
sega32x/flashback-the_quest_for_identity_u_
sega32x/hard_drivin_w_
sega32x/james_bond-the_duel_ue_
sega32x/john_madden_football_93-championship_edition_u_
sega32x/klax_u_
sega32x/mickey_mouse-fantasia_u_rev_01_
sega32x/sesame_street_counting_cafe_w_
sega32x/snake_rattle_n_roll_e_c
sega32x/sonic_spinball_u_
sega32x/sonic_the_hedgehog_2_w_
sega32x/sonic_the_hedgehog_3_u_
sega32x/sonic_the_hedgehog_w_rev_00_
sega32x/star_wars_arcade_32x_ju_
sega32x/strider_ue_
sega32x/super_monaco_grand_prix_w_m2_rev_02_
sega32x/virtua_fighter_32x_ju_
sega32x/virtua_racing_deluxe_32x_e_
snes/adventures_of_dr._franken_the_u
snes/aladdin
snes/another_world_e_
snes/area_88_j
snes/breath_of_fire_ii_u_
snes/bulls_vs._blazers_and_the_nba_playoffs_v1.1_u_
snes/chrono_trigger_u
snes/contra_iii-the_alien_wars_u_
snes/darius_twin_j
snes/diddys_kong_quest_v1.0_u
snes/dixie_kongs_double_trouble_e_
snes/donkey_kong_country_v1.0_u_
snes/earthworm_jim_u
snes/equinox_e_
snes/finalfantasy2
snes/final_fantasy_iii_v1.0_u_
snes/final_fantasy_V_e.tx
snes/final_fight_guy_j
snes/flashback_e_m2
snes/f-zero_e
snes/ganbare_goemon_2-kiteretsu_shougun_magginesu_japan
snes/ganbare_goemon_3-shishi_juurokubee_no_karakuri_manjigatame_japan_rev_2
snes/ganbare_goemon-yuki_hime_kyuushutsu_emaki_japan_beta_1991-05-31
snes/gradius_iii_j
snes/hook_e
snes/hyper_zone_u
snes/inspector_gadget_u
snes/kirbys_dream_land_3_u
snes/legend_of_the_mystical_ninja_the_u
snes/legend_of_zelda_the_u
snes/magical_quest_starring_mickey_mouse_the_u_
snes/mario-allstars
snes/marios_early_years-fun_with_numbers_u
snes/mega_mans_soccer
snes/mega_man_x_v1.0_u
snes/nba_jam_tournament_edition_u
snes/nba_live_95_u
snes/ncaa_basketball_v1.1_u_
snes/ninja_gaiden_trilogy
snes/parodius_non-sense_fantasy_e
snes/pilotwings_u_
snes/pipe_dream_j
snes/pocky_+_rocky_e
snes/pocky_+_rocky_u
snes/pop_n_twinbee-rainbow_bell_adventure_e
snes/prince_of_persia_u
snes/q-bert_3_u
snes/r-type_3_u
snes/secret_of_mana_v1.0_e
snes/shadowrun_u63540
snes/sky_blazer_e
snes/star_fox_2_beta
snes/star_fox_2_english_v1.0final_version
snes/star_fox_v1.0_u
snes/star_ocean_e.tx
snes/street_fighter_ii_turbo_v1.0_e_
snes/stunt_race_fx_e
snes/super_aleste_e
snes/super_bomberman_2_e
snes/super_bomberman_3_e
snes/super_earth_defense_force_e
snes/super_mario_kart
snes/super_mario_world
snes/super_metroid_e_
snes/super_tennis_v1.0_e
snes/tetris_+_dr_mario_e_
snes/tin_tin_in_tibet_e
snes/top_gear_2
snes/wordtris_u
snes/yoshis_cookie_u
snes/yoshis_island_v1.1_e
snes/zombies_ate_my_neighbors_u_
psx/ace_combat_2
psx/castlevania
psx/chrono_cross
psx/colony_wars_vengeance
psx/devil_dice
psx/digimon_world_3
psx/driver
psx/einhander
psx/fear_effect_2
psx/final_fantasy_ix
psx/final_fantasy_tactics
psx/final_fantasy_vii
psx/front_mission_3
psx/g-police
psx/gran_turismo
psx/gran_turismo_2
psx/heart_of_darkness
psx/intelligent_qube
psx/jacki_chan
psx/jade_cocoon
psx/megamanx4
psx/metal_gear_solid
psx/nba_hangtime
psx/nba_jam_extreme_usa
psx/nba_live_2003
psx/nba_live_99_usa
psx/nba_showtime-nba_on_nbc
psx/need_for_speed-high_stakes
psx/no_one_can_stop_mr_domino
psx/oddworld
psx/omega_boost
psx/pappa_the_rapper
psx/pepsiman
psx/policenauts
psx/rayman_2
psx/ridge_racer_type_4
psx/rollcage_stage_ii
psx/silent_hill
psx/skate_+_destroy
psx/spyro
psx/star_ocean_ii
psx/super_puzzle_fighter_ii_turbo
psx/syphon_filter
psx/tekken_3
psx/tenchu
psx/tomb_raider_2
psx/tony_hawk_2
psx/vagrant_story
psx/wild_arms
psx/wipeout_3
psx/xenogears

• Love
Ok sorry for being ~snotty. This list represents my favorites on rpi. The 2D games are ones I remember but the ps1 ones are a distilled collection of games I like / want to play. All quality games with the exception of too many basketball and racing ones. I made effort to choose the best games in series / versions. The games you seek are in this list. Sorry I can’t be more specific in my suggestions. Actually recommending video games is pretty damn iffy.

in worst case just make a Gaming Projekt, like i did try whit the Mario Games a year ago (but not finished yet)
I also some times make some Retro Challenges: i plan to repeat one on the Win Mini i did back then on the Steamdeck: You take an Beat em Up Series, like Say Street Fighter, and beginning from the oldest Console it got released for you start the Game whit the Survival Mode, and when you lose, you continue whit the next System so you have from NES to PS2 played the Game.. maybe whit a Different Charakter.. some Emulations Systems even got an Filter ^^

phew, i just received half a terabyte of roms.
"these are sorted for only containing good stuff" and yet there we are with 4000 freaking entries.
I am not so sure anymore if it makes even sense to write a list down, one can put 10 years of gaming into "good" titles and still havnt reached the psp era.
I need to rethink what i want to write here.
Maybe i should take my time to explore each existing system for a couple of weeks and then note my findings.

My gaming approach radically changed after starting to use Pandafe. I don't have to think what to play anymore. Usually I scroll through the list of my most played games (or most recent, depending on the mood). Also have a list of favorites, games I tried once and want to pick up again later. Unfortunately not all systems are supported by Pandafe, but that is also a good thing it limits the already huge amount of games to choose from.

If I feel advanturous (nowadays that is very rarely..) I look on youtube for the 10 or 25 best games video of a certain system and try some of them. When I like it enough it will automatically go from my most recently played games to my most played list.

Funny thing is that Pandafe even changed what I thought I'd play most. Seems I don't play action / arcade style games or adventures as much and rather play short bursts of strategy and puzzle games.

Concentrate on one-of-a-kind games. Unique experiences > "good" games. Saturn has a bunch of em, see above.

Half a Tb on Roms is something that is maybe no wonder when there are lots of "CD Based Games", on my RetroBat Folder on Win Mini, there is also this amount, but i did not buy an Device where they where Preeinstalled ..
I will try an DS 500 in 1 Game this weekend, so if this works on New 2DS XL i can use 23 Slots of my 24 in 1 Gamebox for 3DS Games..

If your Device got an Random Game Option, you could run the Game its sugesst, and if you see by the Filename its garbage (Movie Licence (expect its a Lego Game), or an Barbie Game), you can activate the Random Game another time ..

Well that links looks helpful. Thanks for that.
But as for the posts: I have still not found the time to look these up.
I neither have found the time to set up my consoles yet.
I am currently playing virtual boy for whatever reason. I think thats the most underrated system out there.

Prior to launch, Shigeru Miyamoto discussed the Virtual Boy. He said it renders wireframe graphics, but its effects are generally used for two-dimensional games with depth-separated planes. He stated that the graphics are not as appealing, and while developing the Nintendo 64, he had ruled out the use of wireframe graphics as too sparse to draw player characters. Finally, he stated that he perceived the Virtual Boy as a novelty that should not have used the Nintendo license so prominently.

ouch!

I got my vb back 5 years ago and it was moldy.

Back