Height Of The Display On The Pandora

Consequence9 said:
Wolenber said:
I don't remember what model it is, (and Newegg doesn't sell it any more) but my monitor is 4:3. Gotta love me some 2560 x 2048.

Getting used to widescreen is going to be REALLY difficult.
imho widescreen is much more aesthetically pleasing, probably something to do with them being close to the golden ratio, shouldn't be too bad ;]

I dunno, my BS-o-meter goes up a few notches any time someone invokes the Golden Ratio.

Let's just say that it's closer to the keyboard's aspect ratio. Makes a lot of difference in a portable device.

Last edited by a moderator:
RedBaron said:
My point is that the wide screen is only useful for movies not games a 4.2" 3:4 ratio screen would be a better choice, and I will be order a Pandora
Again, you are wrong, for all the reasons that were given the last time you brought up this subject.

RedBaron said:
My point is that the wide screen is only useful for movies not games a 4.2" 3:4 ratio screen would be a better choice, and I will be order a Pandora

Not true. Only for emulated games.
SuperTux looks great in Widescreen mode (yep, Pickle already implemented this) and other non-emulated games like FreeCiv or Wesnoth also do make good use of it :)

For emulators like Amiga, the non-used area could be used for status information (disk drive LED + Track, etc.) or for Quick Save / Load state instead of a key combination.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
For emulators like Amiga, the non-used area could be used for status information (disk drive LED + Track, etc.) or for Quick Save / Load state instead of a key combination.

Or you could just STRETCH the display!

Opps.

(avoids eggs being thrown in his direction)

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:

Or you could just STRETCH the display!

Opps.

(avoids eggs being thrown in his direction)

If the emulator supports it I would have it streatched a bit not all the way, and then, like ED says, have system info or quick menu options in the space.. As for LED indicators I think it would be way cooler using the pandoras actual LEDS for that

Oh yeah I Completed Mario 3, Another world, Sonic and many more emulated games on my PSP stretched and that played great, much better than having it with gaps at the side. at first it was strange because I know it looked different before, but after a while its the norm.. Almost as if thats the way it was supposed to be

I suppose its personal preferance I will probably just strech it for most games

VRAndy said:
torpor said:
Bah, the wide screen is awesome - for new games. From a developers perspective I'd prefer to have the wide screen than not ..
Agreed, for any sort of 3d games you want an aspect ratio that approximates the shape of human field of vision. Widescreen does this better than 4:3. (Which is why they use it for movies in the first place.)
Actually that is BS. Your eyes are round, you retina is round that equates to a more square display fitting vision better.

The reason movies are like that are for totally different reasons one being the layout of theaters themselves like the fact that seats are spread out across the floor lengthwise not stacked vertically etc.

What is more important is resolution and size not aspect. For emulators you just double the pixels evenly both direction and you get an image that is 4:3 with equal sized pixels just like on a GP2X now.

Stretching to full screen does give uglyness due to making the images look squashed and the fact that the pixel blocks are uneven sizes in relation to each other, but you don't need to stretch, just pick the option without.

DaveC said:
Actually that is BS. Your eyes are round, you retina is round that equates to a more square display fitting vision better.

That only makes sense if you have one eye. Close one of your eyes. Notice that you can no longer see as much? Now try this with a wide screen monitor: put your face as close to it such that you can still comfortably see the full height of it without moving your eyes. You should still be able to comfortably see the full width too.

Originally craigix was looking at 640x480 screens. What he found is that 800x480 screens are much more available and hence cheaper and better supported.

well im glad he went with 800x480.
i can live with black bars for emulated games, and 800px is much more suited to internet browsing than 640. my phone is 640px wide and i've never come accross a site that fits without having to scroll horizontally. im guessing 800 will do it for the most part.

wikipedia to the rescue!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/4x3_16x9_Vergleich_%28Sehfeld%29-4x3_16x9_comparision_%28field_of_vision%29.jpg/800px-4x3_16x9_Vergleich_%28Sehfeld%29-4x3_16x9_comparision_%28field_of_vision%29.jpg

conso said:
wikipedia to the rescue!

<pic>
Damn, you beat me by like 7 minutes... :ph34r:

Hmmm, ninja eyes are also widescreen.

Back