Headphone Output Promlem

Risc_Terilia

Still Fresh
The audio output on my GP2X is intermitent and rarely disables the speakers when you plug something in to it. I did a search but didn't find anything, is this a common problem?

Any ideas?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 23 2006 at 02:57 PM said:
this is a well known issue, so you didnt search well enough :p

Open up your 2x and solder the headphone jack. it's a faulty connection.

Ok cheers

Having searched for +Headphone +Output +Problem i'd suggest the search function isn't good enough :p

Last edited by a moderator:
xtravbx posted on Aug 23 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
Does anyone else think its a little ridiculous that you need to fix something major like this, on your own...?
The GP2X is not a PSP.

It's still not something I would expect from a commercial offering, however limited the sales volume may be. It's not hard to rig up a QA test for it after the first bad unit or two are noticed.

The problem seems to differ from the others i've now read the threads on. The original problem was that audio was only out of one earphone and the sound didn't mute from the built in speakers. I've opened up the '2X and tested all 3 of the solder points with a multimeter and the only one which was not working was the one that detects the jack, which i resoldered and problem fixed. However this didn't help with only getting output from one earphone, I really can't understand it because i tested it from the solder point to the end of a cable plugged into the output socket and the signal was good from the left and the right. I have tested the output with various headphones, always the output is only in one channel. Any ideas? I'm running version 2 firmware btw.

BradN posted on Aug 23 2006 at 08:17 PM said:
It's still not something I would expect from a commercial offering, however limited the sales volume may be. It's not hard to rig up a QA test for it after the first bad unit or two are noticed.
That's no longer a problem in the MK2.

The first production run was made with pre-sale money so there was no possibility to fix them if they had problems. Fortunately GPH has fixed most of the larger issues. There's a different factory making the MK2 units (you can see a dramatic improvement in build quality), so issues like the board being misaligned in the case, the joystick having diagnol bias due to a poor orientation decision, and a poorly-selected resistor value for the screen have been found and fixed.

What bothers me is that they have no interest in ever replacing the stick, as was made clear to me by Craig (his stance is, if he can play Battle Squadron on it, it's fine. The bigger problems come in games that aren't shooters, like platformers where the long swing time from Right to Left makes stopping and turning around in Sonic or Mario difficult, playing the 3D sonic stages a real chore, or twitch movements like ducking under some bricks in World 1-2 of SMB1 while running very difficult. It also makes entering precise combos in fighting games unnecessarily tricky. I don't approve at all of one person's opinion of the stick dictating that there is no problem, when half a very large user group such as this one finds a GLARING problem, even leading to multiple stick replacement threads that gain several thousand reads and hundreds of replies of interest.

I will say though, the stick aside, the GP2X is a pretty damn solid machine. I'm kind of surprised how well it turned out on such a shoestring budget.

Risc_Terilia posted on Aug 23 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
The problem seems to differ from the others i've now read the threads on. The original problem was that audio was only out of one earphone and the sound didn't mute from the built in speakers. I've opened up the '2X and tested all 3 of the solder points with a multimeter and the only one which was not working was the one that detects the jack, which i resoldered and problem fixed. However this didn't help with only getting output from one earphone, I really can't understand it because i tested it from the solder point to the end of a cable plugged into the output socket and the signal was good from the left and the right. I have tested the output with various headphones, always the output is only in one channel. Any ideas? I'm running version 2 firmware btw.
Rip it off and completely resolder it back on. That solved both of those problems for me (although mine fell off, as apposed to me ripping it off).

Javacat posted on Aug 24 2006 at 12:40 AM said:
Risc_Terilia posted on Aug 23 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
Rip it off and completely resolder it back on. That solved both of those problems for me (although mine fell off, as apposed to me ripping it off).

Thanks, i will try this although it doesn't really make sence for this to work in my case because i've tested the outputs with a multimeter and the seem fine, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the connection from the main board to the socket isn't getting a signal from somewhere else earlier in the system.

As i say i'll give it a go and report back :)

Be careful that you haven't somehow bridged two connections that shouldn't be. If one channel were grounded out, it could still register as being connected, but of course it'd also be connected to ground.

BradN posted on Aug 24 2006 at 04:36 AM said:
Be careful that you haven't somehow bridged two connections that shouldn't be. If one channel were grounded out, it could still register as being connected, but of course it'd also be connected to ground.

Good thinking! I'll test between the connections for this to.

i have the same problem after my headphone socket fell off. someone i know soldered it back on for me and the headphone socket is picky at whether it uses one ear piece, both or neither. but then i just decided not to care, so now when travelling to work, the rest of the people on the bus gets to hear whatever im playing :D they dont like an hour of music from sonic the hedgehog though ;) they give me funny looks :lol:

Back