Sound And Tv-out... How?

nisch

Still Fresh
Ok I have my TV out cable and the video is OK but the sound outputted through the tv out cable seems to mirror the built-in speakers. What's the point of having the sound come out of the tiny speakers but also out of the audio plugs on the tv-out cable at the same time?

It makes it impossible to use on an amp/tv/etc because I don't want the little speakers to be crying their hearts out just so that the audio output level on the tv-out cable is high enough to amplify.

Also, because of the headphone jack having such a large plastic surround, it makes it very difficult to plug any 3.5mm plug into it unless it is very very slim (removing the rubber cover doesn't really help much, either).

Anyone else share my frustration?

Any ideas on what to do?

Depending on what's happening, there are a few things you could do.

If your speakers aren't turning off when you plug headphones in you might have a damaged connection there, I popped mine open and re-soldered the connections. After that they turn off when I plug head phones in.

Or you can use the Speaker Toggle (Here) to turn them off.

If you want the thread for the head phone socket "adjustment" give me a shout.

The speaker toggle should work just fine, but seeing as your problem has nothing to do with the headphone port (as you're using the audio connectors on the tv out cable), you shouldn't be opening and resoldering anything ...

Ohh ok, well the speakers turn off OK when I use headphones - I just have to jam the headphone plug in quite far so that it works.

I'll give that utility a try...

Where is the thread for the adjustment? I wouldn't mind if the socket was a little further out from the plastic surround, it's very tight in there and I can't fit 3.5mm plugs which are too large into it.

It seems crazy that when the TV is enabled, the speakers don't turn off automatically.

Hmm right well the utility turns off the speakers AND the RCA plugs on the tv-out connector too.

Great...............

Just turn your GP2x volume down with the buttons and the tv volume up with your remote and you won't notice it.

Hmm I tried that but it gets to the point where I can hear a bit of fuzz or humm because there isn't enough signal for the amplify to make louder.. if that makes sense.

Basically, I want it louder but there isn't enough gain on the line-out plugs.

Well, there's the 5$ solution: Buy an 1/8" to stereo RCA cable, then you can use the headphone port. It might look a little stupid having the extra 2 RCA's dangling off the TV out cable, but at least it should do what you want.

i guess you could like stick some blue tack over the holes on the facia of the gp2x where the speakers are, effectively cutting out the sound to about 1/4 volume. :p

You'd still be driving the speakers with the same amount of power, so they will still wear out just as quickly if not quicker.

Yeah I think I will just find a smaller 3.5mm -> RCA adapter. I have a couple of different types but none of them will fit into the plastic surrounding the headphone socket :(

Back