Hd

crasherball

hi,
I was wonderin, if u can actually play 720p-movies with the pandora

I've seen a youtube-video from TI where it was stated that it could be the done with the omap3...

so my question....is it really gonna be possible? or does it really depend on the codec?
is h264 too heavy for the pandora to take?

€dit: I was really wonderin wheater u can do it in linux, or u have to kinda "boot it up", so there is no other process running in the background (like linux)

For starters the screen on the pandora is not going to be close to 720p, and I do not think s-video is going to give you an HD signal ether so even if the hardware can process it I do not believe that it can output an HD signal. (correct me if I am wrong.)

S video is capable of approximately 700×486. This is basically 480p which is SDTV not HDTV.

So the answer is no, but it will still look rather good on a TV, just don't expect a PS3 or X360 quality output.

to get 720p you need RGB or Y,Pb,Pr over 3 independent shielded channels. You can get 1080p over YPbPr but you lose some color saturation. For 1080p you really need something like DVI or HDMI with many channels to handle the massive bandwidth needed.

Just think, 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels each being 32bit color is 29,491,200 bits at a refresh of 30FPS that is 884,736,000bits (~885Mbit/s)

Note this is more bandwidth than your 100bT(200 Mbit/s) ethernet and with other traffic and packet overhead even gigabit ethernet would struggle to keep up just to put things into perspective. This is only 720p, I will let you do the math for 1080p

As far as h264 the Pandora should be able to process it.

ya, I wanted to watch the vids on the pandora-screen

I know that the pandora-screen doesnt have 720p

I just download alot of tvshows that are already in 720p (us-tv)
so I wanted to know if I can watch em without havin to recode them everytime...
it'll be a rael pain in the ass to reencode all of em....since I watch like 5 different shows every week

IceBerg303 said:
S video is capable of approximately 700×486. This is basically 480p which is SDTV not HDTV.
Not to nitpick, but S-video is interlaced. 700×486 is an approximate theoretical max (NTSC signals don't technically have a horizontal resolution). In practice, a video displayed over S-video will never be as sharp as a digital (or even component) 480i video. It's not bad by any means, but it's not great either.

The Pandora is certainly capable of decoding HD video. At this time, however, there is no way to get that video off of the device. Perhaps that will change in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
IceBerg303 said:
Just think, 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels each being 32bit color is 29,491,200 bits at a refresh of 30FPS that is 884,736,000bits (~885Mbit/s)

Note this is more bandwidth than your 100bT(200 Mbit/s) ethernet and with other traffic and packet overhead even gigabit ethernet would struggle to keep up just to put things into perspective. This is only 720p, I will let you do the math for 1080p
In before people who wonder why they can stream 720p videos from the internet in realtime. :p Your comparison is a bit unlucky...

IceBerg303 said:
S video is capable of approximately 700×486. This is basically 480p which is EDTV SDTV not HDTV.

So the answer is no, but it will still look rather good on a TV, just don't expect a PS3 or X360 quality output.

to get 720p you need RGB or Y,Pb,Pr over 3 independent shielded channels. You can get 1080p over YPbPr but you lose some color saturation. For 1080p you really need something like DVI or HDMI with many channels to handle the massive bandwidth needed.

As far as h264 the Pandora should be able to process it.

Chip said:
IceBerg303 said:
Not to nitpick, but S-video is interlaced. 700×486 is an approximate theoretical max (NTSC signals don't technically have a horizontal resolution). In practice, a video displayed over S-video will never be as sharp as a digital (or even component) 480i video. It's not bad by any means, but it's not great either.

The Pandora is certainly capable of decoding HD video. At this time, however, there is no way to get that video off of the device. Perhaps that will change in the future.

I knew it was powerful, but not that powerful! That's very impressive considering the size of the thing.

Chip said:
At this time, however, there is no way to get that video off of the device. Perhaps that will change in the future.
isnt it theoretically possible to have a usb-vga-cable?

Crasherball said:
Chip said:
At this time, however, there is no way to get that video off of the device. Perhaps that will change in the future.

Theoretically it is theoretical, but Steven Hawking has refused to work on the proof.

USB Display adapter. I've argued against the possibility due to bandwidth constraints, but we can only hope. 720p for pretty much every popular video codec has been demonstrated on the OMAP3, so I wouldn't worry.

Crasherball said:
Not a just a cable, but a converter. These devices are usually expensive, and you still have the problem of throughput. There is just too much information in a HD video stream to push it through USB. To get HD resolutions you would have to either lower the frame rate (bad) or pre-compress the video and uncompress it on the other side (which is how I think most USB-VGA converters work). This adds a lot of stress on the CPU, which is already busting its ass to keep up with decoding the video in the first place. I'm not saying something couldn't be worked out, but it's certainly not worked out yet.

IceBerg303 said:

eh, for one thing, why would it be 32bit? the only 32bit color video ive seen is video with an alpha channel (24bit color, 8bit alpha), which would be completely pointless for just watching. also, uncompressed video is pretty much never used - even in pro video setups we use compressed (typically 25mbit/sec for sd, not entirely sure about hd).

Snu said:
IceBerg303 said:

eh, for one thing, why would it be 32bit? the only 32bit color video ive seen is video with an alpha channel (24bit color, 8bit alpha), which would be completely pointless for just watching. also, uncompressed video is pretty much never used - even in pro video setups we use compressed (typically 25mbit/sec for sd, not entirely sure about hd).

ATSC HDTV streams in the US are 45 MBit/s, and use MPEG-2 compression. While uncompressed video needs a lot more bandwidth than we have, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to use the DSP to decode the video and have the CPU take care of the USB stuff...probably not easy, but at least possible.

Back