Release Hase 1.6 - more gravity, more particles, more fun!

Nice, I'd noticed that you often accelrated in the end game and slightly altered direction on entering zero-G especially in the end game, but thought that by that point it didn't really matter exactly where you were going (though I was playing with border wrap on, I guess), so I wasn't too bothered.  Other fixes are welcome though too, thanks!

I really like the new things, here are my suggestions for improvement:

1. Align the tooltips left, or in the same place, and have what changes be different

not:

Weapon:  Le big

Weapon: Le even bigger

instead:

Weapon:     Le big

Weapon:     Le even bigger

2. Use graphics for energy/action points that aren't to be confused with drops

3. Use this logo

4. Allow different colours on the menu as a selection

4. Rework help tips so that its less wall of text

5. Power rating in a visual bar rather than %

6. Maybe upgrades. If you make it through many rounds as a civilian and not killing things you get jetpack or something. Or if you kill many people in line of sight you get flashbacks and worse controls. It could also change the tempo of the music arbitrarily for weird effect.

7. Maybe use all the trajectory-lines for something. Perhaps increased gravity if you just stand in one place and shoot out. Or to transport something, yourself, drops, sheilds.

If they vanish after a while, they could be  a ripple-effect while they are there so that its harder to shoot across them/bullet changes direction if you arent perpendicularly on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, I'd noticed that you often accelrated in the end game and slightly altered direction on entering zero-G especially in the end game, but thought that by that point it didn't really matter exactly where you were going (though I was playing with border wrap on, I guess), so I wasn't too bothered.  Other fixes are welcome though too, thanks!

I "love" how you noticed bugs, but didn't tell me. :p In fact as the skulls didn't hit, the only way to end the game was to hit the other player with a bullet - which is hard if you are at the speed of light. :D

I really like the new things, here are my suggestions for improvement:

1. Align the tooltips left, or in the same place, and have what changes be different

not:

Weapon:  Le big

Weapon: Le even bigger

instead:

Weapon:     Le big

Weapon:     Le even bigger

2. Use graphics for energy/action points that aren't to be confused with drops

3. Use this logo

4. Allow different colours on the menu as a selection

4. Rework help tips so that its less wall of text

5. Power rating in a visual bar rather than %

6. Maybe upgrades. If you make it through many rounds as a civilian and not killing things you get jetpack or something. Or if you kill many people in line of sight you get flashbacks and worse controls. It could also change the tempo of the music arbitrarily for weird effect.

7. Maybe use all the trajectory-lines for something. Perhaps increased gravity if you just stand in one place and shoot out. Or to transport something, yourself, drops, sheilds.

If they vanish after a while, they could be  a ripple-effect while they are there so that its harder to shoot across them/bullet changes direction if you arent perpendicularly on.

I would like to split your quote, but don't know how with the board update. But fortunately you numbered your points.

1. Hm, I will think about this

2. Is it so confusing? Did other people think so?

3. What is the difference except the party toot horn?

4. For the levels or for the hares?

5. But how?

6. I think that would make the game to complex tbh

7. The user aren't even using the tracjectories at all atm. I think your proposed change nobody would understand. :D

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I will think about your design suggestions, but I doubt I will change the game principle too much. ;)

Greetings, Ziz

1. This is tidier because the brain recognises change. If you limit change to the variable, its easier to see what you are doing. And it limits the scope.

2. Its confusing because you have energy/HP and energy/action points, when one icon does both, it looks as if its a shared resource.

3. The difference is it works. The thematic elements in it stand out. To me the difference is great. I have some drafts that have an outline on the line, but they were discarded. The idea is to do more with less. Adding that just means more, and it takes away, it is a net defecit, not a bonus of any kind.

I dont like the washed purple. A black and white would be better, and that matches with the ingame world. Perhaps do something to make the menu look like it has something to do with the ingame things, rather than than something that could be anything.

4. "Each turn of this gravitational world, you have a limited amount of time to inflict damage to others, or protect your team."

← →            - Control movement of hares

Left Ctrl     - Long jump

Left Ctrl x2 - Longer jump

Menu         -  Select weapon or ability

↑↓           -    Aim weapon or ability

Doing things consume Action points (AP)."

5.  [||||___]  50% (in yellow)    [|||||||||] 100% (in green)   [|______] 10%  (in red)

6. Maybe you can pick one to be solidified so you can walk on it as a special thing?

7. (new) Small animations instead of text to explain what the buttons do is quicker to grasp.

1. This is tidier because the brain recognises change. If you limit change to the variable, its easier to see what you are doing. And it limits the scope.

2. Its confusing because you have energy/HP and energy/action points, when one icon does both, it looks as if its a shared resource.

3. The difference is it works. The thematic elements in it stand out. To me the difference is great. I have some drafts that have an outline on the line, but they were discarded. The idea is to do more with less. Adding that just means more, and it takes away, it is a net defecit, not a bonus of any kind.

I dont like the washed purple. A black and white would be better, and that matches with the ingame world. Perhaps do something to make the menu look like it has something to do with the ingame things, rather than than something that could be anything.

4. "Each turn of this gravitational world, you have a limited amount of time to inflict damage to others, or protect your team."

← →            - Control movement of hares

Left Ctrl     - Long jump

Left Ctrl x2 - Longer jump

Menu         -  Select weapon or ability

↑↓           -    Aim weapon or ability

Doing things consume Action points (AP)."

5.  [||||___]  50% (in yellow)    [|||||||||] 100% (in green)   [|______] 10%  (in red)

6. Maybe you can pick one to be solidified so you can walk on it as a special thing?

7. (new) Small animations instead of text to explain what the buttons do is quicker to grasp.

1. Yeah

2. What? One icon doesn't do both?

3. But I like the colours...

4. Your version doesn't explain everything. o_O

5. Yeah, maybe a good idea

6. No, this is not how the background engine works. I think I will keep it the old way ;)

7. Probably

I guess I didn't play a version with non-killing skulls, since in the last version I played, I definitely died when I collided with a skull after almost all the land had been destroyed.

2. No, because consumable energy isnt the same as action points. You dont die from using too many abilities.

4. I didn't notice that, here is the full explanation of everything i think needs to be in there.

It still doesnt hold your hand, because that is bad in games, it gets to the point.

"With each passing turn of this gravitational world, a limited amount of time is allotted to the use of action points (AP) to inflict damage to others, or protect your team."

CONTROLS:

← →                      -  Move hares

Left Ctrl                -  Long jump

Left Ctrl x2            -  Longer jump

Menu                     -  Select weapon or ability

↑↓                        -  Aim weapon or ability

PgDn PgUp            -  Adjust power of weapon or ability

Left alt                  -  Use weapon or ability

Shift+ ← ↑↓→       -  Adjust view of world

Shift+PgUp /Pgdn  -  Free view

Shift+Menu /Alt     -  Adjust speed of game Up / Down

Shift+Ctrl               -  Ingame help

Esc                         -  Options menu

Return/backspace  -  Haress your opponents

MODES:

Normal                   -   Out of bounds means projectiles vanish and hares die

Ragnarök               -  Everything is thrown back into play, the impending doom rains down on the world

Long distance skill -  Projectiles do damage based on airtime"

Question, why cant the controls be changed from here, rather than somewhere else?

Because this is an ingame overlay help screen and no options dialog?

That is good, but maybe a story isnt the best format for informing the user of the controls. Nor do I understand why the colour-scheme means the logo has to change.

Having the logo match is one thing. I just think a default black, with more colours to pick from, is preferable.

Idea, what about a glowing outline if you won your last match?

I uploaded a minor fix, which enables reconnection of the irc chat client if it disconnects. The other things I will have a look later if I have more spare time - at least I put some of your suggestions to my ToDo, comradekingu. ;)

I know this is ridiculous, but I made a new release just now. I added some of comrade's suggestions. This is the changelog:

• Improved game lobby GUI
  • Saving sprite selection
  • Improved main menu design
  • Improved ingame help
  • Added a power bar instead of pure percent
As always in the repository. :)

Love the selected character sprite on the logo.

However, the logo was never CC-BY-SA, you decided that, along with changes to it. For some reason the dolphin I made is dank purple. Dank, purple.
I think people deserve to get to see the originals, both of which look better.
The colours on the logo i can deal with, not the added middle line on the syringe. That kicks the feet from under my goat.

Also there is no credit for mine, Holysmoke, Levi, Gab1975, mcobit and pmprog's character sprites in the about pane.

Additional suggestions,
1. List hareoes with roman numerals [SIZE= 120%]I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X[/SIZE] to tell them apart, rather than (1) and (2)
2. Is the music made for the game, might put this up for comission if someone can make anything better fitting?
3. List the player names in colours for each team, and put healthbars all the same. Red for low, yellow for OK, Green for undamaged.
4. Showing the sprites in the about-pane would really liven things up. Can do just the multicolour-hare to signify all 8 of those.
5. Possibly make an anti-gravity ball you can place, that pushes projectiles away from it. Makes for some interesting gameplay, and gives you more of a chance if you are low HP.

There's credit for my designs when you select them (or just browse past).  That's fine by me.

Also, I'm pretty sure the colours I put in my PNGs are the ones that appear in game.  I'm not sure what happened to your dank purple dolphin if that's not how you submitted it.

Love the selected character sprite on the logo.

However, the logo was never CC-BY-SA, you decided that, along with changes to it. For some reason the dolphin I made is dank purple. Dank, purple.
I think people deserve to get to see the originals, both of which look better.
The colours on the logo i can deal with, not the added middle line on the syringe. That kicks the feet from under my goat.

Also there is no credit for mine, Holysmoke, Levi, Gab1975, mcobit and pmprog's character sprites in the about pane.

Additional suggestions,
1. List hareoes with roman numerals [SIZE= 120%]I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X[/SIZE] to tell them apart, rather than (1) and (2)
2. Is the music made for the game, might put this up for comission if someone can make anything better fitting?
3. List the player names in colours for each team, and put healthbars all the same. Red for low, yellow for OK, Green for undamaged.
4. Showing the sprites in the about-pane would really liven things up. Can do just the multicolour-hare to signify all 8 of those.
5. Possibly make an anti-gravity ball you can place, that pushes projectiles away from it. Makes for some interesting gameplay, and gives you more of a chance if you are low HP.

Oh, did I really forgot to mention you? Sorry, this was not intended. What license do you have in mind?
No idea, what dank purple is. However what do you mean with "middle line on the syringe"? the lighter border of the lettering?

To your further suggestions:

1. No idea what you mean. Where do I list hares with numbers?
  2. No, it's not made for the game, but choosen by me fitting to the game. I think the biggest problem are different music tastes. If you don't like it, just mute it and start your favourite mp3 player in background ;)
  3. Hm, different coloured fonts are... dificult with my font rendering approach.
  4. Yes, but tbh nobody ever looks there. This is just for license reasons... So much work for so few people looking in the about menu
  5. I thought about negative gravity, but I discareded the idea for different reaons. First of all, it is hard to implement. Secondly even now it is hard to aim. With such stuff it will be pure luck to hit. Last but not least I doubt it would give more game fun or mit tactic possibilities.
Greetings, Ziz

Im fine with CC-BY-SA. Because it respects the creator, and the artwork.

I dont know the difference between v2 v3 and v4, but all of them include the following:

"The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms." So its important to get this right.

"You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, ..."  Im guessing specifying v4 international is the way to go. An actual link on the website, to be fully compliant seems rational.

" ... and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use."

Original, made by CK, changed, by ziz, in this manner, or show the original (which is preferable and would make that pane look more interesting)

Okay. So I let it CC-BY-SA and added my name, where I adapted stuff.

I will upload the fixed version the next hour.

Wow, people are really reading the gcw zero news? :D

If only the Pandora would have a blog, which pickups interesting topics of the board...

Back