Has Overclocking Ever Killed A Gp32

christo930

Does anyone know if anyone has ever broke their gp32 by overclocking? Is there any confirmed cases of overclocking killing a gp32? What is the highest supported (non-overclocked) clock rate?

Chris

There were rumours, well over a year ago, that overclocking could harm your GP - specifically, scanlines would appear on the screen, get more and more obvious, and never go away, until everything became unplayable (this is over a long period). This was, however, a rumour; most people these days overclock fairly frequently (OS9xGP for sound, Doom for that extra bit of speed, fGen xmas because it was the best gen emu around until fDave started on his core, and others) to 166MHz, and there have yet to be any stories resulting from this of overclock death. So put it like this - if you choose to overclock, there are a LOT of us who have a head start on you for killing our GPs, and the chances are you'll be able to stop well inside the margin for doing so if anyone actually reports overclockdeath in the future.

The highest officially sanctioned speed it runs at is 132MHz; for a lot of things, that's plenty.

i think.... this NEVER happened

i usually overclock my gp to 166Mhz for SNES & GEN emus

and for now there was no matter

bye!

PD : whoa! this is my first post since i got registered!

well, i will post more frecuently here to improve my level of english!! :lol:

(i'm spanish)

Just because Gamepark said that 133mhz was the maximum for overclocking on every GP32, people believed it. But, when I first got my GP32, I thought that there was a possibility of damaging it by overclocking it too. :D

Well, it may not damage it, per se, but its life span will be decreased. The CPU is going faster, getting hotter, etc..., so, in theory, it could eventually kill your GP32 if you have extended periods of high mhz. The reality so far, is that no one has ever reported this to happen. GamePark is just being safe.

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 8 2004 at 06:54 PM said:
Well, it may not damage it, per se, but its life span will be decreased. The CPU is going faster, getting hotter, etc..., so, in theory, it could eventually kill your GP32 if you have extended periods of high mhz. The reality so far, is that no one has ever reported this to happen. GamePark is just being safe.
Exactly.
CPU life is said to be 10 years...
Overclocking reduces it to 5 years... time enough to enjoy your GP32! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What?
gp32 has a five year life span?
will i be able to get a replacement when mine dies after countless hours of 166 game playing?

Back