Has GPengine stopped development?

Nutzo

Just wondering if GPengine is still being worked on. Not asking for any details but just a yes or no. It's such a good emu, I hope the author's haven't gotten bored of working on it. I know that can happen tho. :(

Sorry if my post is annoying for the authors, but I just can't contain my curiosity.

aside from save states and possibly super graphics emulation or whatever its called that is only used in a few games what more can be done. That emulator is damn near perfect and I just can't see many things that could be improved. However if it is still being worked on it might be one of those that you don't hear anything about and then a huge update comes out. Correct me if I am wrong but there was little or no information given about this emulator before this release which was its first. Its one of those emulators that comes out of no where and blows your mind.

Well... It's great, yes, but it's far from "perfect."

It could still use some optimization to reach 60FPs with 100% speed (this is probably possible given enough determination), and there are lotsa things to add and/or fix yet. No emu is ever really perfect, but GPengine could certainly improve. Not criticizing it at all, just being honest.

We have yet to see the GP32 pushed to the limits.

Well - there is always room to improve i guess... left and right sound channels are apparently swapped, there are some games that don't run, hang or have graphic glitches such as Air Zonk, Ghouls and Ghosts and Darius, the emulator still allows for frequencies over 133Mhz (which probably should be disabled), save states are still to be implemented, sgx support...
If all this happens, I'll play this emulator even more... than the 4 hours a day I currently play! ;)
This emulator sets the standards for all GP-32 emulators. And it can be even better. It's good to be a GP-32 owner :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is... you;ve got the problem of the law of diminishing returns. It's near enough perfect for most people's reasons, so why spend months getting a few things corrected that arn;t gonna make much difference to 99% of people when you could be working on something else that could make a bigger splash?

Who knows what's round the corner :D

Gpengine is improving steadily :D
even multiplayer is working fine now
just be patient ...

Woohoo! =)

Thanks Black for that confirmation. It was more than I hoped to hear. Multiplayer?! Wow, time to get an RF adapter. *drool*

I think it's more a problem of quality versus quantity I guess :) And also how the programmer sees his / her work.
I personally prefer to have one good emulator with the max features possible than 10 emulators without sound.
If I were a programmer I would work on my emulator forever, adding up features, compatibility and bug fixes - there is no such "final" version.
But I am not a programmer - so I am happy to be patient, as black mentioned. And I think this is one of the cool things about emulation - the cool thrill of waiting for a new version <_<

The most noticed area for me is the lack of PCM sounds, so alot of the games lack certain sounds and some of the music. I guess we all have our ideal. I'm especially picky, 'cause the ol PCE was the finest console to ever grace planet Earth. IMHO. :D

GPE is an amazing piece of work, I'm happy to hear of it's continued growth!

phoda posted on May 4 2003 said:
, the emulator still allows for frequencies over 133Mhz (which probably should be disabled),
I've been running GPEngine at 166Mhz with zero problems, no fried LCD and no crashes.

Would nice to see the option to be left in for those who have GP32s that can handle the higher speed.

It can be left in, but it should have a prompt to let the user back out in case they accidentally were trying to change brightness or frameskip instead.

Also, if Black can optimize it enough, you may not need more than 133Mhz.

black- posted on May 4 2003 said:
Gpengine is improving steadily :D
even multiplayer is working fine now
just be patient ...
So good, just read this thread for the first time and this is what im greeted with... and with Craig at GBAX.com just announcing RF units are on the way, it couldnt have come at a better time :D

the waiting will seem 10 x longer now lol

Back