Has anyone successfully sued over this product yet?

I really hope this isn't the real AVGN, both because this will lead to bad press and because I have more respect for James than the original post is asking for.

I am just curious. I was speaking with a lawyer today about how despite CONSTANT messages I did not receive the product until years after ordering, despite others receiving theirs, and then when I did receive it, it couldn't play many of the emulators at a 'full and reasonable rate' according to my lawyer. Therefor the console does not match what I paid for and I am guaranteed to an amount based on what I paid and how long I waited. Has anyone else spoken with a lawyer regarding this and if so, what did they say?
My recommendation, as a legal expert in these matters, would be to post a cutting yet humorous video on youtube clearly detailing your experiences & dashed expectations.

This is The Angry Video Game Nerd??

Oh, boy, howdy, I LOVED your bit on Atari 5200!!

I laughed my ass off!

PLEASE, don't screw this project with the bad press this would generate, to nobody's advantage except lawyers.

Likely, the previous opinions offered are correct...Pandora made no promises regarding functionality of 3rd party software.  As long as the specs were as stated....and you either got your unit or a refund, there is no case here.

A good way of telling whether or not you have a good case would be to ask the lawyer if he would take it on a contingency.  If not, it probably isn't a good case.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not him.. at least I doubt it.. James wouldn't be that stupid.

That said, we should organise to give a review model to James.. >_>

It's not him.. at least I doubt it.. James wouldn't be that stupid.

That said, we should organise to give a review model to James.. >_>
No, its not him.

Also, Ed repeatedly said, that he tried to contact the real AVGN for a review, but got no response

Can you sue for your machine not being able to run (allegedly your honour) illegal rom files? That could make an interesting case.

Not that any Pandora seller would legally bear the slightest responsibility for it, but what emulator proved so 'misleading' you'd blame the hardware maker?

You're left in no doubt as to the limitations of all of them from within moments of their release (often long beforehand - see NDS or PSP for example), and from there on in it's improvements in small steps, well documented.

What was this person trying to run? The mind boggles.

The original poster AngryVGN has been watching this thread.. Id like to hear from him.
To confirm that he isn't James Rolfe? I think James has got way better things to do than fuss on these forums about getting back money from a game console he doesn't like (would be kind of ironic though, considering AVGN's entire schtick is embracing things he doesn't like). I also don't think he'd post using that handle. Nor do I think he's very big into emulators to begin with.

I thought about it more and I don't think the guy actually talked to a lawyer either, I'm guessing that's just the standard intimidation tactic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about it more and I don't think the guy actually talked to a lawyer either, I'm guessing that's just the standard intimidation tactic.
Of course he didn't - any real lawyer would have refrained from commenting in the way he supposedly did; his reputation would be on the line when this got laughed out of court.

D.

The original poster AngryVGN has been watching this thread.. Id like to hear from him.
To confirm that he isn't James Rolfe? I think James has got way better things to do than fuss on these forums about getting back money from a game console he doesn't like (would be kind of ironic though, considering AVGN's entire schtick is embracing things he doesn't like). I also don't think he'd post using that handle. Nor do I think he's very big into emulators to begin with.

Maybe I want him to say more stupid shit?

I never assumed for a second it's really James.

I'll have to see how this pans out. Y'know, in between playing Gran Turismo at full speed and in high resolution.

Frankly, I only see two potential lawsuits that would have legs.

CraigIX might be able to sue CC for damages.

ED might be able to sue CraigIX for the wholesale costs of all of the consoles he's provided to CraigIX's customers.

End users and the endless queue customers - not so much.  Individually they could go after something in whatever the equivalent is of a small claims court in either England or Germany (depending on where they ordered).  However, there are not enough of them that even if done collectively as a class action, they'd be unlikely to be able to get anything after legal fees.  Plus, there simply isn't any money there to go after.

I don't see it happening.  There simply isn't money to go after.  Filing a suit out of sheer vindictiveness isn't likely unless someone wants to shell out tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to get a $500 refund.

Frankly, those of us who have or will still get Pandora consoles should count themselves lucky - and send ED repeated thank you notes for keeping the whole thing alive.  I'm not sure how he does it.

Glad to hear this isn't the REAL AVGN...because I like his stuff, and it would bother me if he was trolling up this sort of nonsense.

Any smart lawyer will tell you you only swue people who actually HAVE money.

Like I said, ask that same lawyer if he'd take the case on contingency.  That will give a good idea of what kind of case you have.

Some lawyers will take ANY case if you're paying up-front...but will they take it on contingency?

Back