Has Anyone Ever Considered X68000 Emulation?

christo930

I don't know if emulation is possible or not, but the games for this (at least the ones I've played) are incredible. For a look check out:

http://nfggames.com/games/x68k/

I don't know if there are any linux emulators or not, but there are 2 pc emulators. You should check them out, they are great.

It does have some custom hardware on it, so it might not be possible, but if it is it would bring some great games to the GP2X.

Chris

... cool, i've never heard of it before but it does look like it has some pretty great games... checked out a couple vids on youtube.

It's been suggested before, afair none of the emulators are open source. It would be a big undertaking on some coders behalf even with cyclone for the main cpu. Kick arse system for its day indeed, shame sharp never decided to export them to the west.

Many of the games are emulated very well in mame but I'm sure the x68000 had more than a few non text based originals.

Thats a fine hardware piece... and a true rarity! (its almost impossible to find one in Europe).

Given the fact that it uses the same processor as the Amiga, maybe it would not be tremendously difficult to create an emulator, if you already have some experience with an Amiga emulator.

I know it's a long shot, but maybe some talented GP2x scene coder would be able to do it (*HINT* *HINT* *HINT*).

I've looked at the source of one of those emus (XM6), and it has a fair amount of x86 asm in it, porting that would need too much time and effort.

Wow ! I've never heard of that system before ?! :blink: I can't believe it, I am feeling like a noob, which it seems I am actually ...

christo930 said:
I don't know if emulation is possible or not, but the games for this (at least the ones I've played) are incredible. For a look check out:

http://nfggames.com/games/x68k/

I don't know if there are any linux emulators or not, but there are 2 pc emulators. You should check them out, they are great.

It does have some custom hardware on it, so it might not be possible, but if it is it would bring some great games to the GP2X.

Chris

There are some emulators with sourcecode at zophar's domain.

http://www.zophar.net/x68000.html

I don't know how much horsepower is needed for an x68k emulator, but I have a pretty slow pc and it runs them fine, granted my "slow" pc is still 800mhz with an fpu. Of course I can't imagine a pc at 200mhz running a sega cd, neogeo and snes (as well as it does) with no cache, and no fpu. Actually, now that I think about it, Genesyst did a decent job of Genny emulation, though not segacd on a P1. Does anyone know what pc level a gp2x is close to? I know it's a hard comparison to make with a large cache, FPU... But maybe it can be ballparked.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
I've looked at the source of one of those emus (XM6), and it has a fair amount of x86 asm in it, porting that would need too much time and effort.

What about Virtual X68k?

Apparently the project's been dead for ages :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back