Hardware Hack: Pandora RUMBLE Edition

Some people seem to like that. My samsung phone vibrates and beeps every 2 minutes when the battery is low out of the box.

Ok, so now I left it on 255 for about a minute for testing and it seems like the motor got slower...

And I made a mistake in reading wrong datasheet :(

It is rated at 3V not 3.7V.

I think I need a resistor after all.

I may try some kind of rumble hack, later.

But if I do, I would be using some circuitry (µ-controller, …) and the GPIO 170 (1 wire connection) to drive the motor.

Be sure to tell us your results :)

Edit: try to use small parts only. There is little room left in the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:

There's enough room for something pretty big, just have to know where to put it  :rolleyes:

Thats all the hint im giving for my hardware hack, you'll have to wait until I post about it 

@mcobit - I realize that it's really tight inside of there, but I was wondering if you (or someone) would be brave enough to attempt a "gyroscope/accelerometer" hack?  I think that part is fairly small and would fit.  You'd probably have to install Notaz's Android program as well...since I'm unfamiliar with any Linux-based games that would utilize that type of electronics part...

Anyway, that'd be a really interesting hack to see on our current Pandora (IMO).

Edit 1:  I'll address this post to Gotwake as well... in case you're into hardware hacking on the Pandora.   :)

@mcobit - I realize that it's really tight inside of there, but I was wondering if you (or someone) would be brave enough to attempt a "gyroscope/accelerometer" hack?  I think that part is fairly small and would fit.  You'd probably have to install Notaz's Android program as well...since I'm unfamiliar with any Linux-based games that would utilize that type of electronics part...

Anyway, that'd be a really interesting hack to see on our current Pandora (IMO).

Edit 1:  I'll address this post to Gotwake as well... in case you're into hardware hacking on the Pandora.   :)
I've thought about it, but I can't really find a good way to inference a gyro/accelermoter.

im just tired of carring around a mini usb-otg cable so im fixing that  :eek:

The rumble is nice but I'm afraid it will rumble out of my hands  :)

The Pandora is not cheap so make sue you tie it up before "Ready To Rumble"  :D

Good job mcobit!

Got some TSSOP MSP430, they're small and can run at voltages ranging from 1,8V to 3,6V, with really low consumption: less than 300µA at 1MHz when powered with 2,2V.

That way, my pandora would have one more RISC processor  :lol:

The great thing is that since the 170 GPIO is using HDQ protocol (1 wire, bi-directionnal, 5Kbit/s) and MSP430 is a powerful little beast with lots of GPIO (from 14 to 22 IIRC), it allows to drive quite a few devices. 

I've thought about it, but I can't really find a good way to inference a gyro/accelermoter.
There's at least one I2C bus available...
software, not hardware.  (that sentence was worded horribly)  :D

I would have no idea were to begin on the software side. 

I'm a strictly hardware person (aviation mechanic for a living) 

Couldn't the software treat it like a third joystick?
Not a clue. I have no idea about software, besides very basic concepts

But I am very good at smd/smt hand soldering so If you get the software to work, I can get the hardware to work. For at least proof-of-concept?

Couldn't the software treat it like a third joystick?
Probably be the best way, IMHO.

That would add 2 axis (roll/pitch) for the gyro and 3 (X,Y,Z) for the accelerometers. (If I understand how those things work)

^  Hhhmmm...maybe.  I think that I just might buy a used Pandora from someone (that might already have a brittle case or some other internal issue) so that I could tinker a bit.  I was about to try some stuff with one of my Raspberry Pis GPIO pins, then I completely put it on the back shelf when my Pandora arrived.  Been a bit preoccupied lately with my new "toy".   ;)

Now I have found a motor that operates completely in the specs of the kb_led pads and is a small disc, that can be placed perfectly inside the circle under the dpad when you remove the little plastic pin. Works perfectly.

I have 5 spare if somebody would like one. Photos tomorrow.

Edit: Also I wrote a little bash script that takes time and intensity as well as on/off for arguments.

Now for some up and down.

Press key to begin ...
Quoted for great justice.

These were quite small, would be awesome to have one in each L/R-button.

Could be useful for tutorials. Where you would otherwise have a button light up and an action on the screen, you could have different combos of L/R and keys.

Or as directional input, lets say something hits your hitbox in a game from the left, then you get only those rumbling.

Or gearing with the ramping up on a racing game.

There is only one connection for this kind of stuff afaik :(

Back