Hard Drive Problem

Titcher

Hey.

So, I got a couple of games for my xbox(original) for christmas, one had a free live two month thing, so I used it and played for a little bit. Afterwards my softmod no longer worked (I was using Softmod Installer Deluxe, I hear not that great of a softmod), but anyway, I wanted to get the softmod working again, and didn't have splinter cell around. So I tried to hotswap, well after unplugging the IDE, the hard drive clicked loudly a few seconds after, and now, won't be picked up by my PC or xbox, even if I set the jumper settings manually. So, my question is, is there anyway I can get this at least temporarily working to get a backup of my eeprom off it of it? The unlocking part I've no problem with, I'd find a way to get that working, it's the accessing files. So, any input at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you using the original drive?

It might be obvious, but have you checked that all of the cables are securely pushed in?

Also, can you play any games by turning the xbox on whilst the disc is inside it? If so, is it possible for you to load or save saved games?

I plan to just put a chip in if there's no way to get the eeprom off this hard drive, and, no, it's not the original hard drive. It's a 40GB seagate one. The chip is going to be a pain to install, my xbox is a 1.6b.

Titcher posted on Dec 27 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
I plan to just put a chip in if there's no way to get the eeprom off this hard drive, and, no, it's not the original hard drive. It's a 40GB seagate one. The chip is going to be a pain to install, my xbox is a 1.6b.

Where is the original?

There is a way to read the eeprom off of your box (i found a tut somewhere) .

Last edited by a moderator:
The original was formatted and stuff. It's currently sitting on my bookshelf.

Go grab a zip lock bag and put your hard drive in it. Then put it in a freezer for a few hours. It should give you an hour or so to get the eeprom.

I just put the hard drive in the freezer inside a plastic bag. The hard drive is already broken, may as well give this a shot. I'll post again later after I've tried it, to let you know if it works.

Edit: Well, after the freezer treatment for an hour, it still wasn't being picked up. So, I'll try 24 hours.

Never could get the freezer trick to work when my laptop HD died. Oh well, it probably would have taken more than an hour to rebuild the filesystem tree anyway, so it wouldn't have done me any good. :(

Never could get the freezer trick to work when my laptop HD died. Oh well, it probably would have taken more than an hour to rebuild the filesystem tree anyway, so it wouldn't have done me any good. :(

ive never had it work either, you have to watch it doesn't void the hard drives warranty because they wont replace it after its been frozen :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to use it on a few drives. Most recent was my 360 hard drive.

I gave the hard drive a 24 hour freeze, it didn't make any difference. Ah well. I ordered one of those solderless modchips, the HyperX, a complete pain! I highly suggest against anyone getting one. So far two wires have fell off, so I'll have to re-solder those on. Due to the supplied screw being too small I wound up ruining a small bit of thread in my xbox and finally, the chip rarely sits snuggly on the LPC. Overall, waste of money.

Back