Guitar Processor

swever

Still Fresh
First off, hi alls! This is my first post here, but iv been lurking for quite a while already.

I am very excited with the idea of using pandora for RT sound processing, particularly as a guitar processor/ampsim. From what I managed to find out it seems that RT processing is technically possible, so that should not be a problem, right?
Then there's the computing power issue. Would pandora be capable of running an ampsim, an impulse reverb (which is admittedly the best sounding cabsim technology today) and a couple of effects?
Now the most misty (at least for me) part. To get satisfactory results with guitar both precise ADC and high quality preamp are required. Theres lots of talk on the quality of DAC, but i did not find any info about the ADC. What really matters here is not the techspec&numbers, but the actual quality of conversion.
And what especially worries me is the preamp. If I got it right panda has a mic preamp and unamplified line ins. I bet the mic pre is of the same class as on integrated PC sound, and the line input would have impedance/signal level issues. I would so love to be wrong, tho!

If the adc and pre are not suitable for this purposes, does anybody know if there's such an external device existing? Planned?

The last thing I wanted to mention is that if anybody has plans on developing this kind of software or hardware I'd gladly bear a hand! I'm an industrial design student, and I do have some experience with software guitar processing, so I guess I can be of some help.

ps Sorry if some of this has been discussed already, the forum seems to be too huge. More up to date info would be useful anyway.

Hi and welcome Swever. :) Check this thread out:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49917-csoundpd-pro-audio

Look for posts by torpor. He is the Pandorian music maker's messiah.maker's messiah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, read that thread. It's mostly pandora as a sound source discussed there, just as in other threads. And it looks really promising as for this application, which is very very cool! But realtime processing possibilities are still questionabe.

I think we are quite some people interested in the music recording/processing/composition possibilities of the Pandora. Since Pandora will fit many purposes for many different people I wonder if when the actual product is out it wouldn't be better to change the structure of the forums. We could maybe have sub-forums dedicated to Multimedia/Music/Games/Emulators/OS'es... This way questions like this one wouldn't get buried after a couple of days...

Realtime processing is definitely going to happen .. if you've had any experience with the app "RjDj" on the iPhone, for example, this will be one of the first things that gets set up to prove the audio-processing point on Pandora. RjDj uses Puredata, and as soon as we get Puredata onboard, there will be a huge ocean of patches for processing audio to play with .. investigate the Puredata scene now, if you want to know more.

But I would advise you to start looking for a decent Linux-supported USB-Audio adapter if you want to plug your guitar into your Pandora, because you'll need a pre-amp and so on (standard guitar-player problem) to make sure your levels are all in order. I don't think plugging a guitar directly into the mic input/stereo line level inputs is going to be such a great idea ..

EDIT: Forum re-organization? Not needed. Lets get our Pandora's and then just pump the audio apps out into the regular channels. The best way to keep our audio-related threads available is to really push apps out there .. this will happen. I've got a bucketload of stuff to release as soon as folks have Pandora's in their hands ..

EDIT2: Scariest Avatar Ever. :)

torpor said:
Realtime processing is definitely going to happen .. if you've had any experience with the app "RjDj" on the iPhone, for example, this will be one of the first things that gets set up to prove the audio-processing point on Pandora. RjDj uses Puredata, and as soon as we get Puredata onboard, there will be a huge ocean of patches for processing audio to play with .. investigate the Puredata scene now, if you want to know more.

But I would advise you to start looking for a decent Linux-supported USB-Audio adapter if you want to plug your guitar into your Pandora, because you'll need a pre-amp and so on (standard guitar-player problem) to make sure your levels are all in order. I don't think plugging a guitar directly into the mic input/stereo line level inputs is going to be such a great idea ..

EDIT: Forum re-organization? Not needed. Lets get our Pandora's and then just pump the audio apps out into the regular channels. The best way to keep our audio-related threads available is to really push apps out there .. this will happen. I've got a bucketload of stuff to release as soon as folks have Pandora's in their hands ..

EDIT2: Scariest Avatar Ever. :)

Now this would be nice.

I have one of these
http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=818

but I reckon the pandora could replicate a lot of the functionality

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya the Roland BR series are some great ranges of equipment. And, yes Pandora, combined with a decent audio interface should be able replicate pretty much all of the functionality of a Micro BR. I don't know if any of the apps torpor is porting support scripting and/or skinning, but I'd love to make an interface similar to one of the Boss units.

About the specs on the TWL:

DAC: 16-bit linear audio stereo DAC (96, 48, 44.1, and 32 kHz, and derivatives)
ADC: 16-bit linear audio stereo ADC (48, 44.1, and 32 kHz, and derivatives)

Note: Line out uses the DAC on the TWL and not the Burr-Brown one (which is only for headset out)

About the specs on the TWL:

DAC: 16-bit linear audio stereo DAC (96, 48, 44.1, and 32 kHz, and derivatives)
ADC: 16-bit linear audio stereo ADC (48, 44.1, and 32 kHz, and derivatives)

Note: Line out uses the DAC on the TWL and not the Burr-Brown one (which is only for headset out)

The specs are ok, tho 24bit adc would be preferable, since unprocessed guitar dynamic range is very wide. Anyway, you cant really tell if the quality of conversion is satisfactory judging only by the bit depth and sampling rate.

That's awesome it can handle RT! As for pd, it looks that it has convolution reverb as a plugin (or whatever term is used in that realm :)) I'm gona check if there are any nice ampsim pathces out there.

MIDITECH AUDIOLINK PRO USB seems to be a good option! 24-bit/96kHz on pandora makes me horny! It's said to be "Class Compliant", so it would not require any drivers, amirite?

Btw, the funny thing is that some (very rare) integrated codecs' mic or line inputs produce quite usable results with guitar, at lest for live applications. So it might happen that pandora's own sound is enough!

Back