Tux Guitar

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
I am a Folk and Classic musician, play outdoors quite often and plan to exercise with my next band outdoors most of the time.

Since I started with a Guitar Pro 5 test version with my old Progressive-Metal band back in the days and went to Tux Guitar many years ago,

I grew accustomed to and compose and arrange quite fast with it.

I still would need Tux Guitar on a regular basis on Pandora to compose something and show how it sounds directly,

because if I carry instruments and notes already, it is no fun to carry a netbook too, which battery would have to be fully loaded the moment I need it.

Is there any chance for Tux Guitar on Pandora and if so, who do I have to donate (money or music) to?

The battery life and keyboard are perfect for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it is Java based. It might just run if you install the Java PND from the repo. Then download and extract the sourcecode somewhere onto your SD card. Open a terminal window, cd into the TuxGuitar directory and type:

java -jar tuxguitar.jar

If it works you could package it up as a .PND yourself even.

It needs at least two native libraries: SWT and an Java-ALSA bridge. AFAIK both aren't available yet on the Pandora. They may be easy to port, don't know.

And the availability of natively compiled downloads seems to suggest that performance is critical even on x86 desktop machines.

@Klumpen: is the web-start version usable without performance problems on an atom based netbook or equally slow machine?

it has a whole lot of depends, 50mb alone for it. and then it must play nicely with the midi system.

making a pnd would be a tough work. 

it installs in bodhi but the midi output is kinda broken. 

and without sound a printed sheet of paper is more useful, sadly my keyboard has no internal sound generator so i need a the pc anyway  <_<

Back