Audio Slow Down Software

PAH

Still Fresh
Does anyone know of a good open source tool for Linux that can slow down the playback of audio while maintaining pitch? Everything I've found seems to be based on the SoundTouch library and has a pretty significant reverb-like effect on when slowed down to around 60%. Most of the tools I've used on Windows also have this effect, but some are better than others. The one tool I've played with that doesn't seem to have the reverb effect is "The Amazing Slow Downer." It's not open source, so I doubt it will ever be available on the Pandora.

I want to use it for learning songs on guitar, so I definitely want to be able to be able to adjust the playback speed on the fly. Being able to adjust the playback pitch (i.e. tune the recording to my guitar instead of tuning the guitar to the track) would also be nice.

Anyone porting such a tool to the Pandora?

Thanks,

Pete

You could use Audacity, it isn't currently in the Angstrom repository( http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/ )
However it is open source and can be compiled for linux arm.

It has a speed scaler and a pitch scaler in it(just checked).

PAH said:
Does anyone know of a good open source tool for Linux that can slow down the playback of audio while maintaining pitch? Everything I've found seems to be based on the SoundTouch library and has a pretty significant reverb-like effect on when slowed down to around 60%. Most of the tools I've used on Windows also have this effect, but some are better than others. The one tool I've played with that doesn't seem to have the reverb effect is "The Amazing Slow Downer." It's not open source, so I doubt it will ever be available on the Pandora.

I want to use it for learning songs on guitar, so I definitely want to be able to be able to adjust the playback speed on the fly. Being able to adjust the playback pitch (i.e. tune the recording to my guitar instead of tuning the guitar to the track) would also be nice.

Anyone porting such a tool to the Pandora?

Thanks,

Pete

I've been using TuxGuitar, you can import .tef or midi files that can be played at a slower speed. There is no arm version for download but the source is there so I presume it can be compiled for it,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions. However...

Kloplop321 said:
You could use Audacity, it isn't currently in the Angstrom repository( http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/ )However it is open source and can be compiled for linux arm.It has a speed scaler and a pitch scaler in it(just checked).

Unfortunately, Audacity pre-processes the whole file or selection, and then plays it back. I'm looking for a tool that you can adjust the playback speed while it is playing, and the speed changes instantly.

RMJ250 said:
I've been using TuxGuitar, you can import .tef or midi files that can be played at a slower speed. There is no arm version for download but the source is there so I presume it can be compiled for it,Jason

Thanks, but I need to be able to adjust speed on tracks ripped from CDs.

Pete

PAH said:
Unfortunately, Audacity pre-processes the whole file or selection, and then plays it back. I'm looking for a tool that you can adjust the playback speed while it is playing, and the speed changes instantly.

Well that's a bummer. What would be cool is if there is an open source turn table app so you could reverse or go slower with it. There might be one, but I don't know the name for it....

Back