Guide: Making Xfce Sexy

OK well minimenu can run from XFCE so could I possibly get a copy of the script? I need it for the skinning minimenu thread!

Pleng said:
OK well minimenu can run from XFCE so could I possibly get a copy of the script? I need it for the skinning minimenu thread!

The problem is that apps will grab keyboard codes for themselves. If you can figure out a way to get keyboard shortcuts working at the Linux level (xmodmap) that would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be installing this theme right now ! i have always had a thing for the black taskbar/windows decor ,great work SomeGuy99 ,i guess we can do a combination to have just about any theme running and that is the cool thing about doing this guide instead of running the pnd ,means we can all have a go and make up something different everytime.

paddy said:
I will be installing this theme right now ! i have always had a thing for the black taskbar/windows decor ,great work SomeGuy99 ,i guess we can do a combination to have just about any theme running and that is the cool thing about doing this guide instead of running the pnd ,means we can all have a go and make up something different everytime.

Yeah, you can mix them up, but often stuff doesn't match properly I find. Like, if you have Dust as your XFWM theme and Shiki as your GTK, they are different shades of black.

You could totally mod them to match though - just edit the images inside either folder and reload the theme!

Meh. It looks good, but this is a games machine. I don't have the patience to get through all those install levels ..

SomeGuy99 said:
Pleng said:
That's a sacrifice some of us are more than happy to make!

(by the way, how did you take your screengrabs? Is it possible to grab screenshots in minimenu?)

I made a small script to do it, then mapped it to a key combination.

It would work in minimenu but you'd have to bring up a terminal window, and thus you'd just get a screengrab of that.

It would need xmodmap hacking to get it working under Minimenu. I haven't googled that one quite yet B)

Well a horribly hacky way to do it might be to open the terminal, drag it off the top of the screen to the second workspace, set the script on a slight delay... run, switch workspace, click, and everyone can move again :)

Tobriand said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Pleng said:
That's a sacrifice some of us are more than happy to make!

(by the way, how did you take your screengrabs? Is it possible to grab screenshots in minimenu?)

I made a small script to do it, then mapped it to a key combination.

It would work in minimenu but you'd have to bring up a terminal window, and thus you'd just get a screengrab of that.

It would need xmodmap hacking to get it working under Minimenu. I haven't googled that one quite yet B)

Well a horribly hacky way to do it might be to open the terminal, drag it off the top of the screen to the second workspace, set the script on a slight delay... run, switch workspace, click, and everyone can move again :)

Very hacky, yeah. I found you can take screenshots of games by hitting the Pandora key till they appear in a window.

the gnome look org page appears to be deaded.

edit
And like Jesus it has returned!

Maybe it was my net connection after all

Garrick said:
the gnome look org page appears to be deaded.

edit
And like Jesus it has returned!

Maybe it was my net connection after all

hum, you have it ? you're lucky. Here none of the *-look.org *-apps.org work (all hosted on the same servers farm)

I managed to get that at the time of my edit, so I guess it's a intermittent issue.

Mqark said:
Did we decide if this could be packaged up as a self installing pnd? I'd quite like a sexy desktop but I'm far too lazy to do all the required steps... :p

It could be, but I have no PND making ability myself.

Linux can be hard work sometimes sadly. :)

cheers, now xfce is indeed sexy

and double cheers for the nice "what is ...?" you always put with the guides.. very Linux newby friendly!

Polossatik said:
cheers, now xfce is indeed sexy

and double cheers for the nice "what is ...?" you always put with the guides.. very Linux newby friendly!

I'm not really a Linux expert to be honest. But I do vividly remember how confusing it can all be at first. Once you penetrate that first difficult layer however, it all becomes much more pleasant! I'm hoping I can speed up that up for new users, so it's a little less painful.

Wanted to drop in and say a (late) thankyou for this. My Pandora looks great, and I have an impending HDD failure going on with my main computer currently, so I'll be making use of it when I get everything sorted out with the replacement drive, too. :D

someguy99, you are awesome!!! Funny tutorial!

Thank you!!!!

Plus Bender seems to be one of your favs, too. :)

Would be really nice to have this done either by a Hotfix/firmware-update or some sort of PND file that can touch everything it needs to in order to make this .. looks great!

Back