Gta Type Game For Pandora?

groniktom

Still Fresh
ok so basically, im just wondering, r there any devs here who r planing on making a gta type game, whether it be lyk payback on the gp2x, or more of a 3d based version, mabey based more around gta 3 than gta 2, im just wondering. cos if any1 is, that really really cool

Well, u can play all the psx gta games plus the gb and gba games, maybe there will be a way 2 port Payback2x to the pando

yer i know they could port old gta games but that wasnt the really the point of my post, im asking if any devs r thinking of making a gta type game, lyk payback was a gta type game, but not gta,

which gta style? the old ones or the new ones?

I would have thought a couple of older style gta-like games might be released. I wouldn't have thought anyone would attempt something similar to GTA3/Vice City on the Pandora.

well i dont think any1 would actully try a vicecity type attempt, but it was just an option cos som1 might, i wonderer if it would be possible to use the gta lcs/vcs engine to creat more of a entire mod, i guess it wold be very hard porting it but would that be at all possible?, the mod could be lyk an entire new map with new character and car models and a story or somin, or som1 could just try and port lcs/vcs over, that would also be cool, if possible that is

PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE!

a GTA port (any GTA title) isnt going to happen. theres no source code out there.

there was a commercially released game for the GP2X called Payback, very similar to the GTA2 engine. who knows, maybe the developers will try to port it themselves.

the Gameboy GTA games are total crap, not even worth your time.

would be cool for someone to make a homebrew GTA-clone game. with multiplayer support, so you could have a deathmatch across the city. like the new GTA4.

i dont know if the Pandora could handle an engine like GTA3/VC/SA, it might need to be a topview game.

impreziv said:
i dont know if the Pandora could handle an engine like GTA3/VC/SA, it might need to be a topview game.
I'm pretty sure it could. The psp has tonnes of games just like that.

Highly doubtful anyone would put the effort into a project as large as that though..

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinnus said:
PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE! PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE!

Yep the big flow of newb's are getting to me aswell. :ph34r:

Stupid Stupid Stupid questions.

FlippantBird said:
He didn't ask about a port, he asked about a clone. Read his post before bashing it.
Ahem:

Gronikthomas said:
i wonderer if it would be possible to use the gta lcs/vcs engine to creat more of a entire mod, i guess it wold be very hard porting it but would that be at all possible?

GunPei2X said:
FlippantBird said:
He didn't ask about a port, he asked about a clone. Read his post before bashing it.
Ahem:

Gronikthomas said:
i wonderer if it would be possible to use the gta lcs/vcs engine to creat more of a entire mod, i guess it wold be very hard porting it but would that be at all possible?
to be fair that wasnt my origanall question, i just wondered about it after i posted, im sorry if i forgot that it is not open sorce, so lets go back to the origanall post: any1 thinking of making there own type of gta type game, whether its 3d birds eye view, or 3d with the camera behind the person

How about a 3rd person game for the pandora like gta, but with gameplay like typing of the dead...that way we can see if all the keys work and can be used properly... :p

astro said:
Tinnus said:

Yep the big flow of newb's are getting to me aswell. :ph34r:

Stupid Stupid Stupid questions.

Means alot coming from a long standing veteran like yourself, youve been here four whole months...

impreziv said:
would be cool for someone to make a homebrew GTA-clone game. with multiplayer support, so you could have a deathmatch across the city. like the new GTA4.
GTA4 isn't the first GTA game to have multiplayer support. GTA LCS and VCS for the PSP both have multiplayer support.

crazedover said:
impreziv said:
GTA4 isn't the first GTA game to have multiplayer support. GTA LCS and VCS for the PSP both have multiplayer support.

Even the old ones for the PC are multiplayer, dunno bout the PSX version of those though...

Gronikthomas said:
lets go back to the origanall post: any1 thinking of making there own type of gta type game, whether its 3d birds eye view, or 3d with the camera behind the person
The number of devs will explode after the Pandora is released, and there will probably be someone who will attempt an ambitious game in this style. Even so, it may be literally a couple of years from now before it would be ready, so I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

I'd say the chances of ever seeing a "homebrew" game that is anything like GTA3 (or any of its successors) are just about zero. Creating an entire 3D city with the kind of detail necessary to make the game worth playing is far beyond the capability of just one or two people doing it as a hobby. The GTA games represent tens, if not hundreds of thousands of man-hours worth of work each. They cost tens of millions of dollars to produce. It is just not realistic to expect anything of that scale to be made for free by hobbyists just because it might be "cool".

And before anybody starts with the "Well what if you just scale down the...", the answer is still no. If you scale down GTA to the point that a couple of people could conceivably handle the project, then it's so far from GTA that it is not worth the (still huge) amount of work that it would take. If you scaled it down to just a couple city blocks, you'd still have thousands of models and textures to come up with. What's the point of an open sandbox game where the sandbox is only a couple blocks?

I hate to sound like such a curmudgeon, but somebody has to be realistic. It's fine to keep coming up with ideas and suggestions. Just try to keep them within the realm of possibility.

Back