Grips?

@Grench i remember the thread (it was one of the first threads i remember from when i first joined). thought it was interesting. if i ever have issues with my stylus strength/precision, i'll probably do something along those lines.

but who knows if i'll even use the stylus much -- i'm more of a keyboard than a touch-screen kinda guy, though i do do some drawing from time to time.

Hmm... You could connect an M3 dart tip to a lanyard
I mean the strap the DS shipped with. It has a little sliding piece of plastic on it to go on your thumb tip, and another piece that slides to tighten the strap around your thumb. It is extremely simple, but a very good idea and design.

Now that I typed that up I see that @johnicboom already described the DS strap. Too bad, everyone can read it again.

Probably polycarbonate
Ok. I was kinda wanting you to say "aluminum". You would probably get a bunch of people throwing money at you if you wanted to make aluminum cases.

I'm looking forward to getting a Pyra so I can try out the RHS on it as well.
I am looking forward to getting one so I can do general computer stuff on it, and play all the ports that @ptitSeb keeps teasing me with, since they don't work on a CC. Also, mobile phone stuff.

Before some smart ass chips in - yes, I'm looking forward to the Pyra for uses beyond whether or not I can use my homemade stylus with it.
I guess I should have tried harder to be a smart ass. That was my intention, but I screwed up immediately. What I meant to say was "You really paid for a prototype so you could put some aluminum standoffs with screws and a dart tip in the stylus slot? Really? You couldn't find something better to do with the money?" :p

@Grench i remember the thread (it was one of the first threads i remember from when i first joined). thought it was interesting. if i ever have issues with my stylus strength/precision, i'll probably do something along those lines.

but who knows if i'll even use the stylus much -- i'm more of a keyboard than a touch-screen kinda guy, though i do do some drawing from time to time.
I am also more of a keyboard than touchscreen person (none of my laptops have touchscreens). The stock stylus is good enough, but it was a bit too light, thin, and way too short for me. The RHS allows you to tweak the weight a little, and it is long enough that you don't feel like you are using a crayon. Speaking of crayons, I was using an XStylus for a while, and I really liked how it made it both wider and longer, but it started to crack on the sides.

Pardon my while I giggle to myself over a childish joke in response to what you said.

Ok. I was kinda wanting you to say "aluminum".
I could probably set up an aluminum case but it would be expensive and there would be many a conductance issue (as in the entire case would be one huge conductor). On top of that would be wireless reception. Placing any wireless antenna in what is essentially a faraday cage really doesn't work unless you turn part of that cage into an antenna or make a hole for the antenna.

Just so you know, there were plans to have aluminum Pandora cases made, with many of us wanting that to lead to aluminum Pyra cases.

I guess the case could be powder coated, and the antenna could be de-soldered from the board, and ran up into the lid...

In any case it's something to think about. It all depends on how satisfied with the molded case.

I don't remember the coating was for the planned Pandora one. It was going to require a redesign of the case since the clips would need to be replaced. I can't remember if there were other ideas to include some sort of insulator inside. To keep wifi functioning there was going to be a plastic window. That may be a decent idea for the Pyra for 4G since that antenna is in a better location. I can't remember the details of wifi in the Pyra.

IMG_20170410_194247.jpg
When I asked for a lanyard strap hole in the case the immediate reaction was to call me nuts for wanting to wear the Pandora hanging around my neck. Good times.
This is exactly what I want to do. Has there been a harness made for the Pyra? I want to wear it like I wear my phones. Please keep me posted. I did drop a Pandora and cracked the screen. Then cracked the replacement just closing the lid after a successful installation. I want this right with me and running at all times. I used to carry four battery banks. The plan is to connect a Vufine display and use it as a wearable.

No harness as of yet, but I don't doubt official cases will be made at some point, and if that's too long a wait for you there's almost certainly a third party case that will do the job - I'm planning to see if any of my old Nintendo DS cases will do the job.

This reminds me, I looked at a bunch of fanny packs on Etsy. Found a couple cool iridescent and pink and green ones, but nothing I really love. I am still probably leaning toward a holster if pocketing it is too much.
The plan is to connect a Vufine display and use it as a wearable
This might work for me, but of course I will need input, so now I am back to strapping it to my arm. I guess I could try it around my neck.

No harness as of yet, but I don't doubt official cases will be made at some point, and if that's too long a wait for you there's almost certainly a third party case that will do the job -

I have seen quite a few phone cases and laptop harnesses but nothing quite right for Pyra. We should design something. My use-case is an all day wearable. The keyboard should hang right at the 'texting zone'. The video cable to the HMD needs to be secured by the lanyard and at the case. I have not found a Bluetooth display.
I had an extra battery for the Pandora, but I would like to keep the Pyra running, so a pouch for a battery bank under the case would be handy. It should be able to handle a variety of form factors.
With the clamshell design, I do not see a way to make it waterproof. To have the keyboard available, I will probably always have the lid open. Considering my past experience, I will enable the video out at startup.
This should be a thread, but: can a Linux system be tethered to an Android device to share processes? Sure I could use Android terminal emulator to SSH into the Pyra. But could I share RAM and processor between the devices? My OnePlus has 8GB RAM and it would be nice to have a wearable cluster.
Is there any news about a Pyra with more than 4GB RAM?
[doublepost=1518287374,1518286040][/doublepost]
photo_1469832559084.jpg
This reminds me, I looked at a bunch of fanny packs on Etsy. Found a couple cool iridescent and pink and green ones, but nothing I really love. I am still probably leaning toward a holster if pocketing it is too much.

...so now I am back to strapping it to my arm. I guess I could try it around my neck.

The thing about fanny packs and holsters is they are always 'away'. I want it right in front of me and ready at all times. Having it on the arm is good but a little awkward to view and operate.
I was wearing a Rii mini keyboard/touchpad on a retractable wrist strap. I could operate the touchpad and left/right mouse buttons with a Spiderman hand gesture then pull the keyboard from the strap with my right hand when needed. It was connected by Bluetooth to my phone.

79.90 for a pair of pants? What are they thinking?

That was Malaysia, I think there were a few more numbers before the 7.
Notice that I am wearing rags and new electronics. I did not buy anything there. I was following another traveler through the mall to the electronics district for a USB to type C adapter. That is how I spend my money. People end up giving me clothes but not sweet gear!
IMG_20160719_075116.jpg

Most of us are looking forward to the Pyra because it can be one device to replace several. I see you have a different objective.

That is fine and all, but doesn't all of that get a bit heavy? It seems a bit redundant redundant to have more than two phones.

This should be a thread, but: can a Linux system be tethered to an Android device to share processes? Sure I could use Android terminal emulator to SSH into the Pyra. But could I share RAM and processor between the devices? My OnePlus has 8GB RAM and it would be nice to have a wearable cluster.
Is there any news about a Pyra with more than 4GB RAM?

No, nobody's really considering more than 4GB of RAM just yet because for most of the usecases we can think of 4GB is already excessive, and for anything where it isn't we can always run swap temporarily. And we haven't actallly seen physical 4GB units working yet, so ED's still got to prove that works (although all simulations now suggest it really should).

I'm not aware of any type of cluster that can share system devices or processes like that. In most clusters, every clusterable device is running its own OS with it's own set of processes, and these can only directly access RAM strapped to the same CPU they're running on. Actually, maybe plan9 can run processes on one CPU using RAM from another, because it's designed to run across the network and you can definitely run filesystems that way on it, but I don't know anyone using that OS for proper serious work.

But yeah, you can run sshd on either side and connect from the other and launch processes on the target machine over the network. I'd say that'd be the way to work, and look at being able to do what you want via the terminal on your phone, if that's got the RAM you want.

FWIW, I can't wear stuff around my neck that weighs more that an ID card say. Anything heavier bangs about annoyingly as I walk, which isn't ideal for my state of mind any more than it is for the expensive electronics that I'm banging about. But anything I can sling round my neck can usually be worn on my shoulder, so that's what I do.

doesn't all of that get a bit heavy? It seems a bit redundant redundant to have more than two phones.

That was travel mode with only two phones. One was the Nexus 5X for the Google Fi SIM card. I had service in most counties. The other was the Onesplus 3 with 6GB RAM. I chose them because UbPorts was working on an Ubuntu image for them. Then Canonical stopped work on Ubuntu Touch causing setbacks.
The rest of the stuff is a passport, money, headphones a 3D viewer and adapters and such. Yes it was a bit cumbersome but I considered it exercise and toted it all to over 20 countries, usually on foot. Not bad for a guy with a broken leg implant that was in a wheelchair a few times. There were also 2 laptops and a bag of clothes.
The idea is to have a single device, but nothing provides the functionality yet. I just want a Linux wearable with a full desktop. There are things like Google Glass with 2GB RAM for $1400 or the Ubuntu Daqri with 2GB RAM for $5000, but still no full desktop.
4 GB RAM is not quite enough for me to do my usual tasks and will not run an IDE with a project open. No, I'm smart enough to code in Vim or Emacs! So the Pyra will be the gateway to a laptop or desktop somewhere. The Noodle Pi also looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_074229.jpg
    IMG_20161128_074229.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
You really are well equipped :D
Well done.

I want to go the other route: Pyra for everything.
Maybe sometimes my Nintendo Swich.
And at home my Laptop.

8GB Pyra might be an option when we get a new CPU board.
But as a lot of people think 4 is more than enough I would not bet on that.
With the current processor I think 4 is good. For those big projects that require 8 GB we also need a better processor. The current one is not fun for such large projects ;)

No, nobody's really considering more than 4GB of RAM just yet because for most of the usecases we can think of 4GB is already excessive,..

..maybe plan9 can run processes on one CPU using RAM from another, because it's designed to run across the network and you can definitely run filesystems that way on it, but I don't know anyone using that OS for proper serious work.
can't wear stuff around my neck that weighs more that an ID card say. Anything heavier bangs about annoyingly as I walk, which isn't ideal for my state of mind any more than it is for the expensive electronics that I'm banging about. But anything I can sling round my neck can usually be worn on my shoulder, so that's what I do.

I just got back from my trip. I will get a desktop motherboard with 128GB RAM and a laptop with 64 GB. The video cards I need have 8 or 12 GB. This is for deep learning and simulations.
Yes, I know you can't stuff all that in a handheld yet but there was a small laptop on Kickstarter with 8 GB RAM running Ubuntu called GDP Pocket 7 inch.
Also, Smach Z 8GB RAM, Magic Stick and Udoo X86 makerboard.

I tend to walk with one arm holding all the stuff from bouncing which suits my limp and old habits from broken arms. A body strap could be useful but too many straps can be bothersome.

Thanks for the tip about Plan 9. I searched and will read. Once, I saw a mention about software that could share several Android devices RAM, processors and Wifi.
IMG_20161213_130656.jpg

Those 'sharing' type schemes tend to be based on massively parallisable stuff. The good news is deep learning and simulations also tend to be relatively parallelisable as well, but I'm not aware of any libraries that could help - anything general enough would probably be a mahoosive security hole at the same time. So I think you'll need to code your own socket handling code to receive jobs and execute them in the local env before publishing the results back over sockets.

The Smach Z is vapourware at this point by the way. The GPD Pocket is out and well received, but there's also now the GPD Win 2. These devices run Windows though, which are harder to make lean than Linux is (Linux starts out relatively lean, and as you add services it gets cruftier, Windows does that kind of backwards). The Win 2 also had 8GB of RAM to run Windows. I think the GPD Pocket came with windows, but it's relatively profitable to run various linux on it too, and the Win 2 is similar.

I'm not up to speed on the magic stick or the udoo makerboard, whatever those may be.

Back