"great Community Huh?"

Tobriand posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:58 PM said:
Generally speaking, the community here are nice people. The problem, I think (unfortunately) is that nice people get tired of posting the same answer time and again long before less than nice people (read: flamers) do. This is possibly because writing a flame can be fun, or possibly because flames are all identical pretty much anyway, so the flamers are used to boredom, whereas the nicer people aren't.

The inevitable result is that those who give polite answers just ignore threads that they've seen a thousand times before, whereas flamers jump in and pounce on their new prey.

It's not helped at all by the need that those one-time newbies who got flamed when they turned up sometimes feel to act superior to the next generation and flame *them*. Vicious circle.

Apologies if it's happened to you, but when a lot of ground has been covered before on a 6000+ member forum (or are we at 7000 yet?) I suspect it is inevitable, no matter how good the ratio of non-flamers are to flamers. All I can suggest is to read the faqs and use the search function (clicheed though such a response is) before posting - and say that you have done. Just don't be surprised when someone posts a link to another thread as a reply...

EDIT: Oh, and I beat you, Nickmon :p

We're at 8000 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly it's childishness on both sides that leads to this sort of sentiment.

Child 1: Can someone tell me (something that could be found using search)?
Child 2: NO STFU N))B!!1

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Atleast TRY searching before asking a question that might have been asked before, This way you can atleast preface your question with "I tried search but didn't find it so now I'm asking..." which is more likely to get you a polite response.

And stop posting insulting responses to bad questions. If you have the time to post useless shit comments you have the time to find the URL to the answer and copy/paste it rather than being a bully/asshole, or just keep quiet.

Sorry but i dont think anybody has the right to act elitist, Simple as that, If thats a problem it's yours not mine, I was not insulting or elitist in my post pointing out the fact that the board has a search function and that it is common knowledge to try and find before asking.
And i also stand by my statement that it is childish to call yourself a noob or nub or whatever cryptic crap some kid comes up with next week just to get preferorential treatment.

aapje89 posted on Mar 25 2006 at 10:33 PM said:
I must say, in the gp32 days, this forum was much friendlier...
but also much smaller, this is just one of the problems with large forums.
yes, it was. Back in the gp32 days, i checked this forum once every couple of days and I could always read every single thread I wanted to and check every single update. With the gp2x, I feel like I spend my weekends trying to catch up with everything. I've also started avoiding the forums because of the problems you have mentioned. The intelligence of this board has gone down as the number of members has gone up. This board is still much better than others, but there is definitely room for improvement.

However, I do believe that people who ask stupid questions should be pointed to the search function rather than answered because, as with the analogy with the dog (which made perfect sense to me), if they are answered they will learn that they can just post stupid questions all of the time. If they are pointed to the search function, they will learn to search before posting stupid or repetitive questions.

This board is flooded with stupid topics, and I think it is time for the moderators to get more serious about their job. I've noticed a couple moderators doing a very nice job, but most of them don't seem to do much. Tecoulu (or whatever your name is) seems to be trying very hard to keep the boards under control, I wish the rest of the moderators would as well.

Flexinoodle posted on Mar 26 2006 at 12:21 AM said:
Sorry but i dont think anybody has the right to act elitist, Simple as that, If thats a problem it's yours not mine, I was not insulting or elitist in my post pointing out the fact that the board has a search function and that it is common knowledge to try and find before asking.
And i also stand by my statement that it is childish to call yourself a noob or nub or whatever cryptic crap some kid comes up with next week just to get preferorential treatment.

His treatment is based soley on how you react to his use of words. Personally I have no problem with them, especially since he meant no harm by them. However I do agree about elitistism, its annoying at best.

This is a nice community. Most new comers are treated very well. If people are rude they are flamed, sometimes a little too much, and not everyone knows forum rules etc.

A pointless thread, this one. Just ask questions nicely, be polite, and learn from mistakes. These are kinda good rules for life. If you don't learn them now, then you are doomed.

I vote to close this thread, what purpose is it gonna serve now, other than aggro?

lubidog posted on Mar 26 2006 at 01:10 AM said:
This is a nice community. Most new comers are treated very well. If people are rude they are flamed, sometimes a little too much, and not everyone knows forum rules etc.

A pointless thread, this one. Just ask questions nicely, be polite, and learn from mistakes. These are kinda good rules for life. If you don't learn them now, then you are doomed.

I vote to close this thread, what purpose is it gonna serve now, other than aggro?
Agreed.

Mikey242 posted on Mar 26 2006 at 01:22 AM said:
lubidog posted on Mar 26 2006 at 01:10 AM said:

Agreed.
I third that.

Iorgy77 posted on Mar 25 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
Just because you joined in March 06 it doesn't mean this forum wasn't here before you joined. Use the search function before you create new threads about emulating systems. Chances are your question has already been asked.

/me <heart> the community

I got the GP32 because of the community and because it let me make crazy shaved emu action. The 2X is only in my hands because the community is so great that they made it possible in the first place.

Wooooooyaaah!

^---- tired out, but still here :)

jeff

And once again, like an asshole in the night, here comes another facist mod flexing his internet muscle. :p

Moved to off-topic section ...

Ive only been here a few months, but i cant remember the last time i started a thread looking for information. Everything i ever wanted to know i was able to find by a few minutes or less of searching. The search function is the single greatest feature of any forum. The only reason why people dont use it is out of laziness, and thats no excuse. Some people get way too carried away, but flaming lazy bastards is sometimes the only way they learn (unfortunatly). :(

I agree that when beginners...noobs don't know something they should search the forums first. But if someone does post a topic asking a question that can be found simlpy by searching whats the point in saying "search the forum, moron". If you really wan't to be helpfull go ahead and search it yourself and give them a link to it. If you have enough time to post "search the forum" you can easily just link to the information.

I love the community, that is why I am here... and I don't even have a gp2x or 32 :p

You guys are the community, so if you all agree that it's changed since "the old days" then simply stop acting like children. Most of the members that I remember are no longer around, but it still has that same feel. : )

I think part of the problem is the way things get announced. For example, I found out about when the new firmware would be out from forum threads - not from GPH or some kind of page related to just firmware.

People come here after spotting something on slashdot or edge magazine and they're just thrown into a big forum.

The forum reminds me of my job and the way you're just expected to know from hearing it from somewhere else, there's nothing official and it's just small time trying to act big (part of why I am leaving soon).

Euhm I really need to quit my job...

:ph34r:

Goity posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
Nickmon posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:12 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Mar 25 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
The GP2x is a device for which the majority of marketing was regarding Emulation-- meaning it will attract 'emulation enthusiasts' (see: 13 year olds with no social skills who just want free games). If you don't put such people in their place they WILL keep posting inane worthless bullshit and make the quality of discussion on the board much lower than if the idiots were shut up and dealt with. As Lowtax put it, in moderating a forum "you can either be gay, or Hitler. Hey, I'm gay hitler!"

Do you really think the 13 yos have the time and money to invest in something like a gp2x, when mum and dad will just coffup for endless ps2 games?

13yos reading read mes, knowing how to format an SD card with out killing the PC... i'm amazed...

You dont need to be rude and we where all new at something once in our lives and needed help with something. It takes just as much time to write a nice comment than a horrible one, try being nice once in a while and helping people...

But then again at 37 maybe I should not be an 'emulation emthusiast' who was probably emulating before you where born !

:D
:eek:

Aye.. Nickspoon and I be fine emulation enthiusiasts of the age of 13.
Yarr. And I be pretty sure that we can both read. Yarr.

It's not hard if you simply follow the steps. You don't need some enormous mental capacity to use this thing.

nickspoon posted on Mar 26 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
Goity posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
Nickmon posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:12 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Mar 25 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
The GP2x is a device for which the majority of marketing was regarding Emulation-- meaning it will attract 'emulation enthusiasts' (see: 13 year olds with no social skills who just want free games). If you don't put such people in their place they WILL keep posting inane worthless bullshit and make the quality of discussion on the board much lower than if the idiots were shut up and dealt with. As Lowtax put it, in moderating a forum "you can either be gay, or Hitler. Hey, I'm gay hitler!"

Do you really think the 13 yos have the time and money to invest in something like a gp2x, when mum and dad will just coffup for endless ps2 games?

13yos reading read mes, knowing how to format an SD card with out killing the PC... i'm amazed...

You dont need to be rude and we where all new at something once in our lives and needed help with something. It takes just as much time to write a nice comment than a horrible one, try being nice once in a while and helping people...

But then again at 37 maybe I should not be an 'emulation emthusiast' who was probably emulating before you where born !

:D
:eek:

Aye.. Nickspoon and I be fine emulation enthiusiasts of the age of 13.
Yarr. And I be pretty sure that we can both read. Yarr.

It's not hard if you simply follow the steps. You don't need some enormous mental capacity to use this thing.

Im a unfine emulation enthiusiast of the age of 12. And you need some kinda brain to use it. Thats why my sis has not touched it :p

Okay, moving to Suggestions and locking maybe I'll leave it open. But to be honest almost every newbie here gets treated with respect, go browse I Need Help if you want proof. The majority of our members are friendly and helpful. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but this doesn't happen often and I will definitely look into it.

It's not much about the GP32, GP2X, PSP, halflife, doom, emulator, demo, coding, tracking, rock, metal, blog, etc. scene. After years of envolvement in various scenes, I figured out that all the fuzz is happening because it's a community ;P
In every community there are 1337 and lamerz, people who want to have fun, something, be involved in the process of creating stuff or getting attention, trolls, nice people, arrogant people, and you can encounter the nice newbie or the arrogant 1337 "I am into these stuff for years" guy too. You can see people changing, you can expect the usual predictable flames. It's a community and every fuckin one starts to stink after some time. Communities are really nice places where egos start to be involved and evolve. Things like that are inevitable. Every community sucks big time, but I still love communities :)

There will be a time when you'd just ignore these stuff and do your thing. What are the best things that you can do and make especially you and others happier in the community? Try to reach the good things and avoid the rotten stuff.

I used to be in the demoscene and worry. Well, I still am. But I try to remember the good things, watching demos, doing demos (if I am in the mood and not because I would be considered lame if I don't), still trying to get the good things out of it and ignore the bad feelings coming from it. Even if it's hard..

Nah, just some talk.

p.s. I have gone through most of the categories mentioned here (lamer, arrogant, nice, ignorant, troll, pitifull. Never 1337 though. I suck at producing for the scene ;P)

(naw)mcx posted on Mar 26 2006 at 09:31 AM said:
Im a unfine emulation enthiusiast of the age of 12.  And you need some kinda brain to use it.  Thats why my sis has not touched it  :p

I started my intrest in emulation when I was around 12 (last year) . All I wanted to do was play the old final fantasy games now it's an adiction. Crule crule fate am I doomed to become a 30 year old viedogaming treky who lives with mum??

Back