Grafx2 Art Program

midiblip

Still Fresh
Hi everyone
I wanted to buy a Caanoo to run Grafx2. I'm only buying it to run this!

http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/

If someone has time and has a Caanoo would they be good enough to install it ( http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2722 ) and have a little play around on it to see what works and doesn't ( it touchscreen e.t.c ) and could you please report anything back. I think it will work as it's for GP2x.........

I just want to do some pixelling again and colours on the DS is great but it's not a pixeller......

Thanks!

If someone has time and has a Caanoo would they be good enough to install it

Only problem is its not for the caanoo! its for the gp2x

No gp2x games/apps or whatever work on the caanoo unfortunately, it may get ported or i hear there is a program that if its made for the caanoo will allow all gp2x games/apps .... work on the caanoo :D

paul3100

Oh dear sorry to be so dumb Paul! I thought GP2x progs would work.
I've just read this:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/46027-grafx2-svn-464-beta/

What a shame. The Caanoo has a lovely big screen ideal for pixel artists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had an eye for this application. It compiles by GPH toolchain for the host configuration and running perfectly. I tried to make it to compile for target configuration. It's only success if i remove "-static" option both from compiler and linker options. Otherwise it can't found "-lts" which is "touch screen" library. It has nor ".a" nor ".la" files in arm compiler usr/lib dir. Without it i can produce ".gpe" executable but it hanging up on loading screen and the most sadly thing - i can't see any terminal output on target device, so i don't understand whats going wrong.

Maybe when the GINGE wrapper is ported to the Caanoo, you'll be able to run it if no one is able to port it to Caanoo natively. :)

Oh dear sorry to be so dumb Paul! I thought GP2x progs would work.

not at all mate, we all have to start some where and iv asked a lot of stupid/dumb questions here lol , its the only way to learn :D

paul3100

Well, good news everyone. At least i was able to run application on my Caanoo. The next step is to try to remap it on Caanoo keys.
grafx2_on_caanoo.jpg

midiblip said:
Wow Aion
Does the touchscreen work to paint ok?
Yes, touchscreen is work and i can paint with it as well. But there's something need to be fixed. A few of paint instruments create strange offset of the cursor when they are used. I need to dig into the sources to understand this bug. Also i'd like to wait until GPH release a new firmware, because there's will be touchscreen related fixes.

That's great news Aion. I am sure lots of us old skool artists will appreciate it working.
Thanks for your efforts.

Amazing!
Thanks so much Aion. I am going to get a Caanoo as quickly as I can now!

There is no virtual keyboard? because I can't seem to save anything because I can't type a file name.

corpblitz said:
There is no virtual keyboard? because I can't seem to save anything because I can't type a file name.
how do you load a imiage in to edit it?

midiblip said:
Amazing!Thanks so much Aion. I am going to get a Caanoo as quickly as I can now!
I'm glad to hear it, but keep in mind of this and this issues. I'm able to make a port also on WiZ, but at first i need to look into it's toolchain.

corpblitz said:
As far as i know GP2X port also hasn't a virtual keyboard(i didn't find it in sources), but i think it isn't a big issue since the application is not a file manager. You can plug in a real keyboard through USB-port for filenames and other stuff as well. By default editor set a "NO_NAME.GIF" filename.

p.s. I did a big mistake by not including sample 8-bit paletted pictures into the pack. Now people are wondering why it hang up while loading a title and icon pictures... That's because they are 24-bit.

It would be interesting to see how it performs on the Wiz. I like the Wiz as it's more portable......and the screen although smaller looks better for art. Is the Caanoo brightness at the bottom a big deal? Some tfts are like that anyway............
It's not the end of the world if you have to buy a usb keyboard for filenames. Shame the grafx people can't add a keyboard into their app.

Aion getting this to work is the best solution to a portable Dpaint in your pocket. Well done!

Hi, I'm working on the main code base to add virtual keyboard (http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/issues/detail?id=389)
I can only test on Windows with a mouse, so any feedback about the console port is very precious.
(SiENcE: External keyboard should work. Grafx2 uses SDL for input, so if the keyboard works with any SDL program like DOSBox, it will work with Grafx2 as well)

Back