Gpx2 Won't Run On Batteries.

pfspleen

Still Fresh
I got my GP2X yesterday, nice looking and surprisingly light.
Unfortunately it doesn't work properly.
When I put in batteries all I get is coloured vertical lines, although a couple of times it got to the gp2x screen but no further.
I was doing some reading and found that it could be duff batteries so replaced them, but the same thing happened. I tried this 3 or 4 times with different sets of batteries but no joy.
I then used an AC adaptor at 3V and again it wouldn't work.
I increased the voltage on the AC adaptor to 4.5V and it worked perfectly.
I could play some games (Super Methane Bros.) and watch some xvids with .srt subtitles ok.
Is it broken? Or has anyone alse come across this problem.
Cheers.

I ment GP2X in the title above, obviously.

you need digital camera/high drain batteries, lithium ion or NiMH and at LEAST 2100 Mils. Rechargable is the only way to go.

I went with Energizer NiMH 2500's myself.

Jurrasic posted on Dec 21 2005 at 08:26 AM said:
you need digital camera/high drain batteries, lithium ion or NiMH and at LEAST 2100 Mils. Rechargable is the only way to go.

Got some Uniross Ni-MH 2500mAH ones rechargable fellers.

Although they may not be charged fully yet.

But I thought it was strange that it would only work at 4.5V.

Cheers for the answers, will wait a bit longer for the batteries to charge more.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have a defective unit if it doesn't even work with the right power adapter. It should be rated at least to 1A (or 1000mA), 3V, and be center negative. I wouldn't use the 4.5V adapter because too much voltage could spontaneously brick your unit or greatly reduce the lifespan of it. If the rechargables don't make it work, I'd send it back.

What kind of adapter are you using? Most el cheapo adapters are not very accurate, so you could try checking the voltage using a multimeter. You should check while the GP2X is booting (crashing) as the voltage supplied by the adapter then will probably be lower then in idle state.

There are no Li-ion rechargeable penlights as each cell provides 3.6V (average).

donny662 posted on Dec 21 2005 at 08:56 AM said:
You might have a defective unit if it doesn't even work with the right power adapter. It should be rated at least to 1A (or 1000mA), 3V, and be center negative. I wouldn't use the 4.5V adapter because too much voltage could spontaneously brick your unit or greatly reduce the lifespan of it. If the rechargables don't make it work, I'd send it back.

That's what I thought too, it may be broken.

I haven't ran it for long at 4.5V, just to see if the actual machine boots up, and it sort of defeats the point of a portable machine if I have to be plugged into the mains.

Just waiting for a reply from GBAX.com before deciding what to do.

5465756e posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:02 AM said:
What kind of adapter are you using? Most el cheapo adapters are not very accurate, so you could try checking the voltage using a multimeter. You should check while the GP2X is booting (crashing) as the voltage supplied by the adapter then will probably be lower then in idle state.

There are no Li-ion rechargeable penlights as each cell provides 3.6V (average).

The adaptor is this one from Argos

Adaptor

Seems to be ok.

You did buff the all the battery contacts shiny with very fine sandpaper/emery cloth didn't you?

At this level of voltage and current draw even a tiny bit of resistance can render the most potent battery useless.

(sounds almost like a haiku :D )

Try nubie's recommendation. And, for your adaptor, make sure you have the plug in the right direction so that the center is negative. If you flip it around, the polarity will be reversed. Since the 4.5V works and not the 3V setting, if you didn't change the plug, that may not be your problem; I'm just suggesting another possible solution.

nubie posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:12 AM said:
You did buff the all the battery contacts shiny with very fine sandpaper/emery cloth didn't you?

At this level of voltage and current draw even a tiny bit of resistance can render the most potent battery useless.

Will try buffing the contacts (blimey) but I can't see this working, might do though. I'll try anything.

donny662 Posted Today, 09:17 AM
Try nubie's recommendation. And, for your adaptor, make sure you have the plug in the right direction so that the center is negative. If you flip it around, the polarity will be reversed. Since the 4.5V works and not the 3V setting, if you didn't change the plug, that may not be your problem; I'm just suggesting another possible solution.

Always check the polarity after I killed something else by flipping it around :( . Thanks anyway.

I've had plenty of things stop working on me and the solution was to buff the contacts. My guitar tuner suddenly stopped working. I had it all apart looking for a bad connection or burnt out component; I even had my multi-meter out. Finally, I just got an pencil out and, with the eraser, buffed the battery contact and Presto! it worked.

Jurrasic posted on Dec 21 2005 at 12:26 AM said:

I just bought some of those the other day.. I am just now charging them up. I hope they fit, because on the last batteries I tried, the nub thing on the + end was a like 1/2 a mm short. So I used foil to make it work.. The batteries drained quickly, probably because of the foil or something. I hope these energizers work well.

If you need 4.5v to power up the unit it suggests high resistance somewhere in the circuit. The high voltage is needed to overcome the high resistance.

I have the same problem. I did buff the all battery contacts shiny with sandpaper.
=> don't change...
My batteries are new 2500 Energizer...

No christmas with my Gp2x :(

Is that adapter regulated? It doesn't look that way on the website.

Personally I wouldn't risk using ANY power adapter that wasn't regulated. The voltage output it gives out can vary wildly depending on the current usage, and they can spike and kill your unit.

I had a similar style issue with my test unit. The left battery's positive connector looked like it was assembled backwards. Instead of it protruding outward to the battery, it was inverted causing a "dent". The positive connection of the battery would rest into this "dent" and not make a connection. I just pushed it out a little with a screwdriver (not recommended) so that it would make a connection and it now works. I have 1800mAh, 2200mAh and 2500mAh batteries and they all work well in the unit.

David

nubie posted on Dec 21 2005 at 08:12 AM said:

christ buffing the contacts on a brand new unit ? shouldnt need to be done at all.

pfspleen posted on Dec 21 2005 at 07:17 AM said:
I got my GP2X yesterday, nice looking and surprisingly light.
Unfortunately it doesn't work properly.
When I put in batteries all I get is coloured vertical lines, although a couple of times it got to the gp2x screen but no further.
I was doing some reading and found that it could be duff batteries so replaced them, but the same thing happened. I tried this 3 or 4 times with different sets of batteries but no joy.
I then used an AC adaptor at 3V and again it wouldn't work.
I increased the voltage on the AC adaptor to 4.5V and it worked perfectly.
I could play some games (Super Methane Bros.) and watch some xvids with .srt subtitles ok.
Is it broken? Or has anyone alse come across this problem.
Cheers.

I ment GP2X in the title above, obviously.

You have a duff unit, exchange it. It should even run with those cheap bateries that come with it, if only for an hour.

Back